PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Weaponize the offense"

I am surprised that more posters aren't raising the possibility that the team is looking to stock up and develop in the draft while positioning for another high draft choice next year. The increase in cap may have forced their hand by limiting the number of players that hit FA. While it sucks short term, I would rather that the team not waste resources trying to be mediocre. I want them to shoot their shot in the draft and follow the Rams model of playing a bunch of unproven players during their recovery period. We can handle another losing season if the talent is there to build on. This season sucked because there was nothing to look forward to.
If the front office is positioning for another high draft choice next season they should all be fired tomorrow, aiming for a high draft isn’t the goal here, goal should be picking 32nd, not 1st.

Because he did not want to play with Brissett as his qb. For some crazy reason he prefers Josh Allen.

Without a good qb or a proven head coach, no good ufa would want to play for pats except as last resort

It is what it is

You don’t need a proven head coach, you just need money and a team that has a chance to win. Right now the Patriots are at the beginning of a rebuild and lot of players don’t want to be a part of that. The Patriots could well have had good offers on the table to some of these guys and they just chose better opportujnities for themselves. They need to have a strong draft and show that they are on the right track next season and then more players will want to be a part of it.

No QBs available next year
Choosing a QB in this draft is still in play. Keep him on the bench for the year and let Brissett or Zappe take the abuse.

On a different topic, we are cooked if the team is making plans based on perceived strengths of next years draft.

Yeah Fred, they should have given Ridley 50 million a year, that would have been the key to success.

It is an average of 23 million a year. Sure it is a lot, but that's the going rate these days. Old School salaries and chiseling, cheapskate contracts just won't work anymore, as the Patriots are finding out the hard way during this disgraceful offseason.

Remember in 1976 when Andy Messersmith demanded and got a million dollar contract? Fans were outraged.... Times change, but the Patriots seemingly have not kept up. It is really appalling.

Last edited:
think this regime is not going to dedicate 4-5 positional spots to pure special teamers the way Belichick did, and will look for players with higher positional upside and just have them fill those ST roles to the best of their ability.
Interesting and likely take here.

One the positive side - that's maybe 1 (because special teams only guys don't take up a lot of $$$ so if that's used for high cost positions it's not a one for one arrangement) or if you're lucky 2 potential additional spots for positional guys of any worth (middle class and up and/or rookies) - with the rest having to be low cost regardless to fill the roster.

On the negative the potential for injuries to rotational guys now taking those special teams' snaps also goes up (less so with all of the rule changes, but still if you play X more snaps - injury risk does elevate by that same X).

They are literally going to be left with the one the other two didn't want.
So the only way to get better is to only have the #1 pick in the draft??????????? I mean, that's the ONLY draft pick that isn't facing the same dilemma you are basing your opinion on - regardless of position.

So the only way to get better is to only have the #1 pick in the draft??????????? I mean, that's the ONLY draft pick that isn't facing the same dilemma you are basing your opinion on - regardless of position.

Yes. Bingo.

Why take Drake Maye if you think Harrison is a 100 catch, 1500 yard 15 touchdown a year kind of talent when you think Maye might not even be better than Mac.

These are hypotheticals. I'm saying why would the Patriots do that if that's what they thought? Simply cause they need a QB?

Last edited:
I would take that top deal in a nanosecond but the trade value chart says 11 and 23 by themselves are actually worth more than 3. If you get them to throw in a 25 first that would be an incredible deal for pats. Vikings won’t do thst
San Francisco traded three first-round picks and a third-rounder to Miami in 2021 to move up from No. 12 for third overall.

The precedent is there.

Yes. Bingo.

Why take Drake Maye if you think Harrison is a 100 catch, 1500 yard 15 touchdown a year kind of talent when you think Maybe might not even be better than Mac.

These are hypotheticals. I'm saying why would the Patriots do that if that's what they thought? Simply cause they need a QB?
Because Williams might be Ryan Leaf? Daniels might be Rick Mirer? MHJ might be N'Keal Harry? The draft is the most danger filled complex system of chaos ever devised while simultaneously the only real way in a salary cap league to rapidly improve. It is a miasmatic swamp of unknowns, might be's and never wills with an occasional oh wow - and that's usually more based on luck than on skill.

Because Williams might be Ryan Leaf? Daniels might be Rick Mirer? MHJ might be N'Keal Harry? The draft is the most danger filled complex system of chaos ever devised while simultaneously the only real way in a salary cap league to rapidly improve. It is a miasmatic swamp of unknowns, might be's and never wills with an occasional oh wow - and that's usually more based on luck than on skill.

I cant predict the future. I simply posed a question on IF the Patriots feel this way. I know that if I am a GM and I dont like any of the QBs then I'm not taking one.

Key goal for Kraft? Sure not the fans. Winning is the key goal.
This is currently the key goal for Bob:

IMG_1272.jpeg

This is the permanent key goal for Jonathan:

IMG_1273.jpeg

Winning and the fans not as much

San Francisco traded three first-round picks and a third-rounder to Miami in 2021 to move up from No. 12 for third overall.

The precedent is there.

I so wish that the Patriots could engineer such a steal, but San Francisco was idiotic....

They haven't weaponized a damn thing. For all the talk about philosophical changes, this is an embarrassingly bad start of the new regime. The offense is in worse shape than last year and we are now hoping/praying the draft picks will hit the ground running and be star level contributors week 1.

I get the feeling that this off season is not being run by professionals. There have been so many embarrassing gaffs and miscues. The Patriots are being snookered at every turn. This is as if some amateur cheapskate is running the FA period.

Either the GM is over his head/out of his element (seems unlikely) or the owner is meddling (more likely).

If this continues, I am not very optimistic about the draft. We saw what happened the last time that Kraft meddled in the draft....

I thought we were going to have a professionally-run team after BB left, but it seems to be a lot worse. I suspect the Jonathan Kraft's is meddling and getting out played at every turn.

Last edited:
Yes. Bingo.

Why take Drake Maye if you think Harrison is a 100 catch, 1500 yard 15 touchdown a year kind of talent when you think Maye might not even be better than Mac.

This is a completely moronic take. They aren’t taking the QB at 3 purely out of need, they are taking them because they have evaluated them and believe they can lead a franchise. Otherwise they would have made a deal and gotten more picks, or gone hard for a QB in free agency. At this point you are just making **** up because you don’t like their decision.

Yes. Bingo.

Yes.

I just hope they're not that stupid. But I don't have a lot of hope either.

There are fans on this site who would give their next 3 first round picks to the Jets for Aaron Rodgers. Did themselves some weaponizing.

This is a completely moronic take. They aren’t taking the QB at 3 purely out of need, they are taking them because they have evaluated them and believe they can lead a franchise. Otherwise they would have made a deal and gotten more picks, or gone hard for a QB in free agency. At this point you are just making **** up because you don’t like their decision.

How do you know they're taking a QB? Why is it you're insisting in kne thread I don't understand why a 4th this year is actually a 5th next year and in another thread you're calling me a moron for a ****ing hypothetical.

Look up the word on Google, you're comprehension of the take is sad and well.

No where in my thread did I say they are or not taking anyone.

That said. There is ZERO chance the first 3 picks are all going to pan out and lead a franchise to a Superbowl.

There's only like 75 years worth of drafts that prove they point out. You just Don't like that fact because it doesn't support your argument.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back