PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does the Diggs trade set the price for a Tee Higgins deal?

I like Higgins, but if I had a choice I’d roll with Aiyuk. He’s an elite route runner. Physical/patient in his routes, unique release vs man, diagnoses coverages and the leverage of defenders, uncovers quickly, finds the hole in zones, while simultaneously being a downfield threat. Much more versatile..

I think both are #2 receivers looking for #1 money, I would pass on both of them. These guys average 65 receptions a year, and that’s with defenses paying more attention to their teammates. The Patriots can roll over their cap space, use this draft, next year’s free agency, and then next years draft to fill their needs, they shouldn’t panic and give # 1 money to # 2 receivers.

I think both are #2 receivers looking for #1 money, I would pass on both of them. These guys average 65 receptions a year, and that’s with defenses paying more attention to their teammates. The Patriots can roll over their cap space, use this draft, next year’s free agency, and then next years draft to fill their needs, they shouldn’t panic and give # 1 money to # 2 receivers.
Agreed.

I would NOT like to focus on rolling over money. There will be good value players available between now and the trade deadline both in free agency and through trade (after the draft please). I would love to sign a Cb to play opposite GONZO and a safety. Obviously, extending Barmore is a priority and will cost cap money. As an aside, we should get the Judon deal done already. He wants to be our leader for the indefinite future.

We are likely to sign a vet offensive lineman, a RB and a 3rd TE.

Much more importantly, we will be looking for some secondary help. Also, we will be looking for the usual Peppers type players wherever we can find them. This need on Defense is obvious when we consider how many defensive players are 2025 free agent and/or are nearing the end of their careers.

Higgins is a #2 with the ability to cosplay as a #1 for a stretch. Aiyuk on the other hand, is a #1..for all the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. He’s averaged 77 receptions on 110 targets, 1,200 yards & 7-8 TDS the past two seasons on a team where McCaffrey had 340+ touches & also played with two other All-Pro caliber players. He can get open, catch, get drunk off the YAC consistently & pretty efficient in the red zone. That’s a # 1 WR in my book. Plus, with the increase in cap, his salary would bring value compared to what other receivers would fetch in the near future. I’m not saying trade for him (especially with this deep draft), but if I had to choose between the two; Aiyuk allllll daayyyyyy.

Agreed.

I would NOT like to focus on rolling over money. There will be good value players available between now and the trade deadline both in free agency and through trade (after the draft please). I would love to sign a Cb to play opposite GONZO and a safety. Obviously, extending Barmore is a priority and will cost cap money. As an aside, we should get the Judon deal done already. He wants to be our leader for the indefinite future.

We are likely to sign a vet offensive lineman, a RB and a 3rd TE.

Much more importantly, we will be looking for some secondary help. Also, we will be looking for the usual Peppers type players wherever we can find them. This need on Defense is obvious when we consider how many defensive players are 2025 free agent and/or are nearing the end of their careers.
I’m fine with them making good deals with the cap money, but if they don’t see good deals then just roll it over.

FTR: I don't think Higgins would want to come here we are not an attractive place for FA's anymore. And good young WR's are a premium. We are going have to Draft and develop our own from now on.Tripple dip this year if necessary that's the only way are going to get back to respectability.

Should be less since Diggs is better but it's not always that simple
Agreed with that.. also Diggs is 5 years older. He appeared to start slowing down last season likely that and personality conflicts is why Buffalo moved him.. but the bills just gave him a new deal last season, and moved him this offseason. Odd. Higgins would thrive in this offense becuase he'd have other complimentary players. Kb, Henry , juju, Douglas would all be able to play in position and not have to masquerade as #1 options.

FTR: I don't think Higgins would want to come here we are not an attractive place for FA's anymore. And good young WR's are a premium. We are going have to Draft and develop our own from now on.Tripple dip this year if necessary that's the only way are going to get back to respectability.
We need to hit on the QB in a few weeks.. we get the QB then we can become a destination again. We have an excellent defense, some solid complimentary players on offense we just need the guy at QB thst will open the door for Higgins, or AJ..

On one hand, Diggs is older. On the other hand, Diggs is a proven number 1 and Buffalo was paying some of the money. Higgins is unproven and needs a new deal once you acquire him. So to a certain extent it cancels out.

I think a 2025 second or a 2024 third with a late 2024 pick coming back is fair value. I understand people saying that he would “bet on himself” in 2024 and hit free agency next year, however he wanted to hit free agency THIS year when the market was dry and Cincy kept him from it. That’s why he’s demanding a trade, so he can get a good deal. Whatever he signs next year will be in a diluted market and might be a lesser value. Plus, I also just think he wants to be “the guy” somewhere and is tired of being in Chase’s shadow. I don’t think he would balk at NE if they were willing to pay. This does become simpler if they draft a QB in a couple weeks though and can present their plan.

Diggs does not set the price for Higgins whatsoever. Obviously Buffalo wanted to move on whether it be character concerns or cap space etc.

Bengals may want a 1st or 2nd this year and they are sticking to their guns. Or they don’t want to trade him at all for a deal they think doesn’t fit the perceived value for that player.

On one hand, Diggs is older. On the other hand, Diggs is a proven number 1 and Buffalo was paying some of the money. Higgins is unproven and needs a new deal once you acquire him. So to a certain extent it cancels out.

I think a 2025 second or a 2024 third with a late 2024 pick coming back is fair value. I understand people saying that he would “bet on himself” in 2024 and hit free agency next year, however he wanted to hit free agency THIS year when the market was dry and Cincy kept him from it. That’s why he’s demanding a trade, so he can get a good deal. Whatever he signs next year will be in a diluted market and might be a lesser value. Plus, I also just think he wants to be “the guy” somewhere and is tired of being in Chase’s shadow. I don’t think he would balk at NE if they were willing to pay. This does become simpler if they draft a QB in a couple weeks though and can present their plan.

Right. But he would be a #1 here. In NE. On this current Pats roster.
I think people need to put some respect on Higgins name. Chase is a great player but he's hurt alot and misses time. Higgins can get 60 years deep within seconds and runs like a derby horse.. he's one the best WRs in the game and one of the best contested catch guys. He lines up all over the formation. He absolutely is #1 here.

I think people need to put some respect on Higgins name. Chase is a great player but he's hurt alot and misses time. Higgins can get 60 years deep within seconds and runs like a derby horse.. he's one the best WRs in the game and one of the best contested catch guys. He lines up all over the formation. He absolutely is #1 here.
Agreed, I think he knows this and wants to be that guy somewhere and stop being second fiddle to Chase. That’s why I think he wouldn’t balk at a trade to NE if it came with a new deal.

He had a slightly down year in receptions /targets via Qb injury woes last season. 74 receptions the two season prior. Was impressive in a few games where Chase was injured and played like a 1 in some of them.

He’s worth a look.

I think Higgins will do fine without Chase because of his play style. Higgins isn't a guy who relies on space being cleared by another guy so he has room to operate. He's primarily an outside the numbers, downfield guy. Honestly, I think he opens things up for Chase as much as Chase opens things up for him. It's just play style. It's not always as simple as the #1 option always being the one who opens things up for others. It's the outside the numbers, down the field guys like Higgins who usually do the most to open the field up for others.

If he came here, I definitely think there's a risk of drop in production because of QB play and teams being able to devote more attention to him. But Higgins fits that archetype where his contributions are measured as much in how he opens up the field for others as it is his own production. And even as the "#2" in CIN, he still is a guy who makes space for others, including Chase.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back