PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We will get something on Moss and/or Stallworth by Feb 25th

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheenix11

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
According to Miguel's page the Pats have to pay Stallworth an "option bonus of $6 million by Feb. 25, 2008. There is a subsequent roster bonus of $2 million due on March 1."

They will not let Moss AND Stallworth go. And they probably won't spend all that money on Stallworth if they can keep Moss. So I'm guessing that right now they are attempting to sign Moss long term and they need to get it done before Feb 25th. If they get to that day and Moss is still unsigned, they will have a tough decision because if Moss leaves then they will really need Stallworth to stay as the deep threat. I'm guessing Moss has until the 25th to sign or they are going to commit to Stallworth instead.

So we should get some interesting news very soon.

What do you guys think?

So I'm guessing that right now they are attempting to sign Moss long term and they need to get it done before Feb 25th.

Can't re-sign Moss until after free agency starts (can't renegotiate a contract twice in a year or some other such nonsense) so you won't see a new Moss contract for a while. They could negotiate the terms and slap Moss with the franchise tag until they can legally sign him though.

Can't re-sign Moss until after free agency starts (can't renegotiate a contract twice in a year or some other such nonsense) so you won't see a new Moss contract for a while. They could negotiate the terms and slap Moss with the franchise tag until they can legally sign him though.

Crap you're right, Free Agency begins Feb 29th. Well I hope they are at least negotiating with Moss so they can get an idea.

Does free agency start before or after the draft?
Because I believe it is the day of the draft that Randy can start a new deal
since that is when we acquired him.

Can another team step in before then and offer him a fortune?

I'm wondering if our Bengal friend Chad Johnson might be in the mix somewhere amidst all this.

Can another team step in before then and offer him a fortune?

it depends if the pats own his rights. if they release him then yes, if the pats own his rights then no

I don't see anything stopping them --- I just think it comes down to what randy wants to do.
he already has a ton of money, and don't underestimate the lesson he learned in oakland.

I'm not too worried about it.

frankly, I like this team for the superbowl even if he walks.

i think randy is more likely to come back now that we lost the superbowl.

IF we won, there was a bigger chance of him leaving for the money

Wouldn't the franchise tag on moss be like around 9 or 10 million not sure ask miguel.

i think randy is more likely to come back now that we lost the superbowl.

IF we won, there was a bigger chance of him leaving for the money

I don't know bro isn't moss like 31 or something wouldn't he want to get a nice big contract so close to being old enough to get out of football. And he will probably want a multi year deal not just a 1 year at a time.

Wouldn't the franchise tag on moss be like around 9 or 10 million not sure ask miguel.

I was suggesting the use of the franchise tag to keep his rights until they could legally sign him to a new deal. Not suggesting they actually keep him at the franchise number.

I'm wondering if our Bengal friend Chad Johnson might be in the mix somewhere amidst all this.

He fits nowhere. The Bengals reportedly take an 8 million dollar bonus acceleration on their cap if they trade or release him.

Despite his threats to sit out the season and his professed love of every other team in the NFL (he said nothing about the Pats he didn't say about many other teams) the truth is the Bengals can't trade him without killing their cap. They are better off letting him rot.

Last edited:
I was suggesting the use of the franchise tag to keep his rights until they could legally sign him to a new deal. Not suggesting they actually keep him at the franchise number.
Which is the safest course of action for the New England Patriots after they "release" Donte Stallworth and Kelley Washington.

Don't be so damn impatient. We have seven months. Here's the deal:

If the Pats are willing to pay him very well but not exhorbitantly well to keep him in town 5 years, he'll do it. I think they are willing to. I think he is willing to not attempt to break the bank doing it. He has said he'd like to retire a Patriot. Probably his agent said "Damn Randy, you want them to offer you a buck fitty?" Or else he's savvy enough to have figured out himself that he didn't want to send the wrong message. Either way he followed up with "I'd like to stay but some of this is on the Patriots..." or words to that effect.

A) I do not believe he's greedy at this point.
B) I do not believe the Pats are stupid at this point
C) I think the Pats work something out to keep Tom and Randy together for a few years.
D) I think that "something" is going to be at the high end of what receivers currently get, APY and signing-bonus-wise. It's not like he's unproven.
E) "The Deal" must include money that pays him in both security and cash (guaranteed money) toward the top of the receiver spectrum. It will not have to pay him in a new tier of "crazy super-good wideout." I would note that at least one team out there probably is willing to pay that much for him. We will count ourselves lucky once he is locked up.

As for the bonuses due Stallworth this off-season, I don't see this affecting the Randy negotiations too directly. I think he gets restructured or is cut. But we will see something about Stallworth on the 25th. His deal as it stands was cut before Randy fell into our laps. He was supposed to develop into Randy. If he still wants to do that, he'll have to be to Moss what Moss was to Chris Carter or Wayne was to Harrison, i.e., wait his turn, for maybe 3 or 4 years, at discounted wages.

I see Stallworth saying "yanno, I like my chances with someone else as a #1." Somebody might take him.

Welker is locked up, providing at least the minimum complement to Moss (along w/tight ends, backs out of the backfield, Gaffney/maybe even C Jackson.)

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

PFnV

I think they have a deal in agreement and then on first day of free agency sign it with moss.

remember stallworth was brought in to be the No1 WR and both him and wes at 26 would have been in their prime .stallworth might improve as except wes all our WR in the past have excelled from second 2.We run a very complex system and some WR take time to excel in this system.

they will not franchise moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back