PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Need New Scouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN patriot fan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
So there are multiple articles on the home page here about how our scouts are raving about a 5'10" receiver from SMU. Are these the same scouts that led us to pick Harry over D.K. Metcalf, A.J. Brown, Deebo Samuel, and Mecole Hardman a few months ago?

This may seem like an oversimplification, but I would think that people getting paid money to be experts on talent could find the common thread among the four players listed above: they all played in a league with competition significantly above the PAC12, said league being the SEC. So now the same scouts that botched our first-round pick seem enamored with a receiver that plays in the AAC.

Granted, we have taken SEC players, and players from other top Power-Five conferences, that ended up not setting the world on fire. But one would think (and hope) that the level of competition a player saw in college would at least factor in even just a little bit when considering whether to take that player versus another player who had tougher competition week in and week out. Call me crazy.

I’m glad nobody is overreacting to a single report from a website that told us before the season that Edelman was on the trade block or more recently claimed the Dolphins fired O’Shea in order to keep Schuplinski (who was also gone two weeks later).

I am wondering who has accurately predicted our drafts in the past?

One of our members raved about Jarrod Mayo the year he was drafted.

Maybe, the scouts did like those wide receivers better than Harry. I do not
believe any scouts are present in the War Room on draft day. Belichick and
Caserio are the final authorities making all the picks.

So there are multiple articles on the home page here about how our scouts are raving about a 5'10" receiver from SMU. Are these the same scouts that led us to pick Harry over D.K. Metcalf, A.J. Brown, Deebo Samuel, and Mecole Hardman a few months ago?
When I first read about this I thought that our scouts need to blab less so other teams aren't onto who we like. Then I realized with our WR drafting record, something like this might allow us to draft him later - the Patriots liking a WR has to downgrade his ranking, I would think . . . :D

When I first read about this I thought that our scouts need to blab less so other teams aren't onto who we like. Then I realized with our WR drafting record, something like this might allow us to draft him later - the Patriots liking a WR has to downgrade his ranking, I would think . . . :D
Probably worth at least a two-round drop if our scouts rave about a WR prospect...

Maybe, the scouts did like those wide receivers better than Harry. I do not
believe any scouts are present in the War Room on draft day. Belichick and
Caserio are the final authorities making all the picks.
I would venture that BB and Caserio are not watching tape of every single WR eligible for the draft. If they weren't relying on our scouts for recommendations, they wouldn't be paying said scouts. It's just hard for me to fathom, knowing how good BB is at all other aspects of coaching, that he could be that disastrously bad at evaluating talent.

Thing is, we can’t be sure how much of this is on the scouts, how much is on BB, and how much of it is on the assistant coaches. And there is always a lot of disinformation around the Patriots during the draft process.

So I just read another article on the SMU wideout. See if this sounds familiar: he's being praised for being great at fighting for contested balls; the article notes that he will need to work on his explosiveness in order to become a downfield threat.

Doesn't that describe to the letter the receiver we took in lieu of Brown or Metcalf or Hardeman or Samuel? We need new scouts. If it was even 50.00001% our scouts and 49.99999% BB and Caserio on the Harry decision, our entire scouting department should be shown the door post haste and someone, anyone, else hired.

I do think the pats are weaker at drafting certain positions compared to others (weaker at WR). However, I do think it is kind of foolish to say that our scouts failed after seeing one year of Harry.

Also, I think in general the patriots seem to draft with the one year early approach many times. Specifically applied to the 2019 draft, I see Harris as a potential Burkhead replacement, Cowart as a potential Shelton replacement, and Cajuste as a potential Cannon/swing tackle replacement based on how he does.

Put another way, what would Harry have to do to be an acceptable late 1st/early 2nd round pick? (I do not believe there is a significant difference at talent at pick 30 compared to pick 35).

This may seem like an oversimplification, but I would think that people getting paid money to be experts on talent could find the common thread among the four players listed above: they all played in a league with competition significantly above the PAC12, said league being the SEC. So now the same scouts that botched our first-round pick seem enamored with a receiver that plays in the AAC.

Granted, we have taken SEC players, and players from other top Power-Five conferences, that ended up not setting the world on fire. But one would think (and hope) that the level of competition a player saw in college would at least factor in even just a little bit when considering whether to take that player versus another player who had tougher competition week in and week out. Call me crazy.

They are going to have to start Drafting good for now on there won't be a Tom Brady to help them out or disguise the ineptness.:oops:

We should hire the scout who evaluates WRs for the Steelers

Actually, what they should start doing is drafting the second or third receiver on their board instead of the top receiver. I’m only half joking here, but I’d have to think that would maximize their chances of a hit.

Actually, what they should start doing is drafting the second or third receiver on their board instead of the top receiver. I’m only half joking here, but I’d have to think that would maximize their chances of a hit.
I actually thought of this the other day. Our scouts should try outsmarting themselves, a la, "We really like this guy, so maybe we should take someone else."

But what would really be the preferable scenario is if they all got invited to take their expertise elsewhere, like maybe to the Chiefs.

The only way these young receivers have a chance is if the Pats change their philosophy on what they want their WR’a to do.

The only way these young receivers have a chance is if the Pats change their philosophy on what they want their WR’a to do.
I get that to a degree. But part of me thinks that if I were getting paid that kind of money to run and catch a ball, I would put in the time and figure it out.

We Need New Scouts

This is true. Both the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts have gone to ****.

This is true. Both the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts have gone to ****.
It has been a gradual process. I quit the Boy Scouts about forty years ago because all of my troop mates were getting stoned.

Thing is, we can’t be sure how much of this is on the scouts, how much is on BB, and how much of it is on the assistant coaches. And there is always a lot of disinformation around the Patriots during the draft process.

Also, like, stuff that happens after the selection is made. Injuries, fit, weather... lots of variables there. Some things that can be controlled, some that can't.

The Patriots went 12-4 this year and lost a playoff game by one point. The idea this team is, like, totally broken is completely farcical.

We should hire the scout who evaluates WRs for the Steelers

Drafting guys like AB, Matavis Bryant, Bell, etc., looks great while they are playing on the field and less so when they are holding out for a year, shooting their way out of town, getting suspended for drugs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes