PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We. Have. Revis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still in shock over this days later. We have Ty Law 3.0 in our secondary. Ty, himself, said Revis is better than Talib. Ty, in fact, has been endorsing Revis since Revis came into the league.

Browner is just icing. This secondary is looking nasty on paper. Let's gooo!

Of course it is. Pats officially announced Browner not even a day later. And Browner just figuratively stiff armed Herr Goodell

I'm sure Goodell has people working around the clock to see if he can disapprove it.

We have Revis.

holy balls!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still in shock over this days later. We have Ty Law 3.0 in our secondary. Ty, himself, said Revis is better than Talib. Ty, in fact, has been endorsing Revis since Revis came into the league.

Browner is just icing. This secondary is looking nasty on paper. Let's gooo!

I think that Revis > Talib is pretty well established. How do Browner and Talib stack up talent wise?

I think that Revis > Talib is pretty well established. How do Browner and Talib stack up talent wise?

Apparently Revis = Talib if you live in Colorado.
Talib and Browner have different skill sets. I think if we didn't have Revis, we would want Talib over Browner, for Talib's arguably superior cover skills as a shut down corner, but with Revis, and with our existing stable of defensive backs, I'd rather have Browner than Talib as a final piece.

He's more violent, more intimidating, with good cover skills and good ball hawking ability.

Revis is better than Talib by a large margin. People who say otherwise should look in the mirror and remind themselves they've never really watched either player play (I.E. Denver fans)

Also, idiots have said signing Revis was desperate, but the reality is, retaining Talib was desperate, and we were somewhat desperate to retain Talib because we needed a corner and Revis wasn't available, despite all of Talib's problems.

Given what's transpired since losing him, no Patriot fan can be upset about losing him and all of his problems and all of his visits to the locker room over boo-boo's he wouldn't return to the game over.

Elway did us a huge favor that might completely change the dynamic of the AFC this season.

Revis Island wears a Patriot uniform thanks to Elway's obsession with trying to build his 2 year Superbowl window at our expense. This Denver move really came back to punch them in the face.

2014 NFL Free Agent Grades: WalterFootball.com

Patriots sign CB Darrelle Revis (2 years, $32 million): A+ Grade

If you don't believe this is an incredible move for New England, just check out the reaction from Jet fans on Twitter. Here's one from @LilMissNYJet:

"God hates Jets fans. I hate everything. And if you’re ok with this? Go buy a f***ing Pats jersey."

This is a huge win for Bill Belichick. After losing Aqib Talib to the Broncos (and also watching DeMarcus Ware and T.J. Ward sign there), Belichick had to do something to keep his team competitive with Denver. That something was sign the top free agent this offseason.

Those who didn't follow Darrelle Revis closely enough this past year might think he regressed, but that's not even remotely the case. Revis didn't play as well in Tampa's zone early on, but he thrived once he went back to man coverage. He was also coming off a torn ACL, so given that he'll be two years removed from that injury, he'll be even better in 2014.

The money is more than fair for Revis. After all, aside from perhaps Richard Sherman, he's the top cornerback in the NFL. He was set to make $16 million with Tampa, so New England is getting him for $4 million less. This is also just a 1-year deal, so unlike the Broncos, the Patriots aren't risking their future by bringing in a future Hall of Famer.

UPDATE: Darrelle Revis deal is actually two years, $32 million. However, it's effectively the same as the initial term because the Patriots have a $20 million team option in 2015, which they almost certainly won't use. The only real difference is that New England won't be able to franchise Revis after this season, so this grade remains an A+.

The bottom line is that this is a playmaking secondary and teams are going to have serious match-up problem against them. I agree with those who believe that their cover and playmaking abilities are going to make their front seven more effective and productive but they still need to do more work to shore up those areas as well. The starters are in good shape but they need more starter quality depth to supplement them and it will most likely be a priority for them going forward.

Even if the Patriots do nothing else this offseason the rest of the AFCE has a serious problem on their hands, as EJ Manuel, Ryan Tannehill, and Geno Smith against a secondary of Revis, Browner, McCourty et al. could spell real problems for them.

Wow, I just looked that up; what are the odds some small town (population under 10,000) in PA produces two of the 5-8 best cornerbacks of the last 20 years.

As well as 2 other current NFL players born/raised there. That town's football coaches are doing something right.

Mike Ditka is from Aliquippa too. Just felt like exhibiting some western PA pride there :) I'm not from Quippa specifically but we were in their division for basketball so got to play them twice a year. They got amazing athletes down there

Mike Ditka is from Aliquippa too. Just felt like exhibiting some western PA pride there :) I'm not from Quippa specifically but we were in their division for basketball so got to play them twice a year. They got amazing athletes down there

From western PA myself. We put out people (Marino, Montana, Revis).

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
New #Patriots CB Darrelle Revis will take his physical tomorrow and sign his 2-year, $32M deal, source says. Then it will be official

:cool:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
New #Patriots CB Darrelle Revis will take his physical tomorrow and sign his 2-year, $32M deal, source says. Then it will be official

:cool:

Ian's twitter feed on this is priceless. A lot of people are posting stupid comments bashing the patriots and so forth. Smh.

Ian's twitter feed on this is priceless. A lot of people are posting stupid comments bashing the patriots and so forth. Smh.

everyone who bashes the patriots are simply jealous of what we have, and that's a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back