PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We getting a new Special Teams Coach?

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Trying to keep the Coaching News / Interview Tracker relatively clean, so its easy to see whats happening with the new coaching staff...

Special Teams were not good this year... They weren't good last year either... This post by @venecol shouldn't be overlooked - sometimes the simplest questions / comments are the best comments/questions - hence this thread... Is Marquice Williams really much of an improvement?

ST DVOA RANK:
View attachment 55975

ATL #27
NE #28

I don't get it.

I think the issue is we've seen what Cam Achord brings to the table... it ain't much... Bringing in Williams i think is the first step in replacing him... The unit Williams lead wasn't great either... I don't know why, as the Falcons are way low on my radar, and couldn't tell you if I had to... But bringing in someone for an interview does not mean they will be hired.... It does signify that the new HC has recognized that improvements are needed... I like it that Mayo isn't going to stand fast if he feels an upgrade can be had... I like the approach, and it needs to be mirrored for every position on the coaching staff...

The two required external minority candidate interviews get real awkward when there’s such a small pool of candidates. Other teams have just hired ST coordinators without ever announcing which external minority candidates they interviewed, or if they even interviewed at all. It seems that these new Patriots are going to be open about every candidate that they’re interviewing.

The two required external minority candidate interviews get real awkward when there’s such a small pool of candidates. Other teams have just hired ST coordinators without ever announcing which external minority candidates they interviewed, or if they even interviewed at all. It seems that these new Patriots are going to be open about every candidate that they’re interviewing.
I thought it was only 2 for the HC.
lower-level positions are only 1?

I think Achord and Judge will follow Belichick wherever he goes.

As long as hes the one they have incriminating photos of. I pray its not Kraft!

Joe judge's giant's contact expires this league year, so he's gone.

I thought it was only 2 for the HC.
lower-level positions are only 1?
It was 1 for coordinators during the 2021 offseason, but increased to 2 in October 2021. I believe it is still just 1 for QB coach.

Does it actually require 1 for ST Coordinator, or is it only for OC/DC/QB Coach?

Yeah I was wondering what the upside was by possibly replacing the coach with sucky special teams you have now with a coach who has special teams that suck just as bad?

Does it actually require 1 for ST Coordinator, or is it only for OC/DC/QB Coach?
This says special teams are included. (It’s from January 2021 when only one such interview was required.)

The Browns did interview two minority candidates (Jets and Giants’ assistant ST coaches) last year before hiring Bubba Ventrone. This year, the Giants have interviewed the 49ers and Bears’ assistant ST coaches, both minorities. I can’t find anything about the Chargers, Jaguars, Bills, or Packers interviewing other candidates when they hired new ST coordinators in 2022.

This says special teams are included. (It’s from January 2021 when only one such interview was required.)

The Browns did interview two minority candidates (Jets and Giants’ assistant ST coaches) last year before hiring Bubba Ventrone. This year, the Giants have interviewed the 49ers and Bears’ assistant ST coaches, both minorities. I can’t find anything about the Chargers, Jaguars, Bills, or Packers interviewing other candidates when they hired new ST coordinators in 2022.

I wonder if teams can appeal to the NFL that the qualified minority candidate pool is too small and subjecting the same couple candidates to 7 interviews each only for none of them to get hired would be a bad look. Maybe after one or two teams follows the policy, the NFL can exempt the rest for that year, or something along those lines.

I wonder if teams can appeal to the NFL that the qualified minority candidate pool is too small and subjecting the same couple candidates to 7 interviews each only for none of them to get hired would be a bad look. Maybe after one or two teams follows the policy, the NFL can exempt the rest for that year, or something along those lines.
I assume they’d just tell teams to go find college candidates to interview. That doesn’t help a ton since many college ST coordinators also coach a position. Some college ST/TE coach isn’t going to have the ST knowledge to step into all STs all the time in the NFL. The career progression is fairly standard in that the vast majority of NFL ST coordinators were previously NFL ST assistants, not college ST coordinators.

I know Iowa ST coordinator LeVar Woods perfectly fits the bill as a minority coach who’s only responsible for STs right now and had a 7 year NFL career mostly on STs. He’s just not leaving his alma mater anytime soon with his son (presumably) playing there in a little over a year. There can’t be that many other college coaches who are as good of a fit as that.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back