PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Drafting a QB

I honestly don't think any of these top ranked QB's are long range starters/winners in the NFL.
How often does a "Lamar-type" avoid injury, last 5+ years and win in the NFL? Williams & Daniels might spark a team short term, Maye will be like Lawrence - average. You might get lucky with Nix if he falls to 2nd round, or Penix - who can sit and learn like a Jordan Love...
But, considering the state of this Pats team, gambling for a top 1st round QB is literal doom for Mayo.

The value for the Pats is to hit on a franchise LT, or a star WR (which may break the curse since BB is gone).

QB should be a vet who can lead and win immediately.
If we can't get Cousins, I'd love to get Browning for relatively cheap. Imagine him with MHJ, Bourne, Pop, Rham, Henry...

I stand by that because the landscape has now changed and I believe the value chart is not some bible anymore.

Dolphins trade the 3rd pick for 12,29,102 and 2022 1st.

Just to move up 8 spots from 29 to 21 coat the Chiefs 29, 94 and 121 and that’s in the latter part of the draft.

The 3rd pick is a gold mine with Daniels, Alt or possibly Harrison as the prize, These players trump the draft chart so if you are going to trade away the pick, why settle?
Going from 3 to 12 is a lot different from going from 3 to 7 though. And even then I think you have your info wrong.

Miami traded pick 3 in 2021 to SF in exchange for pick 12 in 2021, a first rounder and third rounder in 2022, and a first rounder in 2023. Per typical grading values, future picks are roughly valued as one grade worse. So this was the equivalent of going down from 3 to 12 in exchange for a 2nd, a 3rd and a 4th.

My proposition is going from 3 to 7 in exchange for a 2nd and a 3rd.

MHJ isn’t Randy Moss he’s a taller faster version of his father, so he’s a guy that will get open a ton and make an offense work but isn’t explosive oooo did you see that? I can see him getting 6 catches for 80 yards game in and game out. He’s just not the guy that will take over and win you a game like Randy could.
He's almost certainly not Moss, but both he and his dad ran 40s in the 4.3 range. Not sure why that means he can't be explosive.

If you pick the wrong one you will be irrelevant for longer.
doesn't matter , you have to try and take shots until you find your franchise qb

I honestly don't think any of these top ranked QB's are long range starters/winners in the NFL.
How often does a "Lamar-type" avoid injury, last 5+ years and win in the NFL? Williams & Daniels might spark a team short term, Maye will be like Lawrence - average. You might get lucky with Nix if he falls to 2nd round, or Penix - who can sit and learn like a Jordan Love...
But, considering the state of this Pats team, gambling for a top 1st round QB is literal doom for Mayo.

The value for the Pats is to hit on a franchise LT, or a star WR (which may break the curse since BB is gone).

QB should be a vet who can lead and win immediately.
If we can't get Cousins, I'd love to get Browning for relatively cheap. Imagine him with MHJ, Bourne, Pop, Rham, Henry...
i have to disagree with you

i think if you are picking top 3 which doesn't come around very often in a good qb class on paper you have to take shots.
The ultimate goal to win a SB can hardly be achieved by average qb's. You would need an super talented team
Look at the eagles they have a loaded roster on any position, didn't get them any win

I think you have to take a qb, there is no other option. And then built a team around him

Not if it means wasting the highest Pats draft pick in the past 30+ years.
it's not wasted at all

They obv only pick one qb if they believe he can develop into a franchise qb

the pats have a rare opportunity to select a franchise qb here picking this high

No, you have to make good decisions.
thats obvious

You have to take a qb if you believe one can develop into a franchise qb

But you are saying take the Qb no matter what.
no matter what you think of the other prospects yes

if you think all these qb will be busts or can not operate under your scheme then don't take them

if you believe maye will be a franchise qb take him even tough you might consider Alt as a cornerstone LT for the next decade

i have to disagree with you

i think if you are picking top 3 which doesn't come around very often in a good qb class on paper you have to take shots.
The ultimate goal to win a SB can hardly be achieved by average qb's. You would need an super talented team
Look at the eagles they have a loaded roster on any position, didn't get them any win

I think you have to take a qb, there is no other option. And then built a team around him
There are 2 times that I recall (although there might be more), where a non-elite QB won a SB. Trent Dilfer with Baltimore and Brad Johnson with Tampa Bay. Even Peyton Manning just needed to make an occasional good pass and not give the game away when he was with Denver (as he was a shell of himself compared to in his prime). But those teams were loaded (especially Baltimore with that Defense and Running Game).

If you pass on the QB you're going to be irrelevant in the AFC until you get an elite QB, all passing does is slow down the process even if you hit it's going to be year 3 before you can realistically become a genuine contender going on typical history.

You better really hate the remaining QB option at 3 if you're going to pass on the QB.
The Bengals got Burrow even with a poor O-Line and gave him weapons. He has done well with a still less than ideal O-line (which the Bengals hopefully improve). They had a down year, but thus far, Burrow has proven to be a solid and potentially elite QB. The point is, there is more than one way to build a Contender/Champion. If you sincerely believe that a QB is there when you draft that can be what you've been needing, then I can't fault a team for trying.

You will get fields for a 3rd and 5th . I don't think he goes higher than that. You gotta be crazy trading second for fields. He did not have garopollo level stats a d is basically on same level as mac and marginally better than wilson with some hidden potential . If he were so good then bears would not be trading him. Of we are trading we are punting on him and that's not worth a second rounder.

Don't get carried away by what media is spewing. It's the bears front office at work through some paid articles.
Yep. I'm not opposed to acquiring Fields, but not for anything more than a 3rd and a 5th as you stated.

no matter what you think of the other prospects yes

if you think all these qb will be busts or can not operate under your scheme then don't take them

if you believe maye will be a franchise qb take him even tough you might consider Alt as a cornerstone LT for the next decade
I don’t think anyone would disagree with that but that’s a far different attitude than “you must take the qb and keep doing it until you get a good one”

I don’t think anyone would disagree with that but that’s a far different attitude than “you must take the qb and keep doing it until you get a good one”
i could have added ust take the qb when youz are convinced about one propect, but i figured this assumption was clear

MHJ isn’t Randy Moss he’s a taller faster version of his father, so he’s a guy that will get open a ton and make an offense work but isn’t explosive oooo did you see that?
I mean I'd totally use the #3 pick on a taller version of a Hall of Famer, but that might just be me. Plus he's been recorded at 22.2mph which if accurate* would be top #3 all time for fastest recorded NFL WRs in NextGenStats' 6 year history. Everyone's got a different definition of "explosive," but it'd fit mine.

*Take with grain of salt

i could have added ust take the qb when youz are convinced about one propect, but i figured this assumption was clear
No because many people say take the QB even if you aren’t confident in him because you have to take the qb and hope he works out.

Keep going back and forth but think I would still take Daniels at #3. The chance to grab a potential franchise QB just doesnt happen too often and is nothing exciting in free agency nor in next year's draft regarding QB's so when would they be able to address the, by far, most important position in the NFL? Keep looking at the dramatic improvement in Houston with Stroud and is just a perfect example as to why you can't potentially pass up an opportunity like this with Daniels. Load up on OL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and try your luck in free agency with WR's and TE's.
The chance to draft a potential franchise QB doesn’t happen too often?

Ask the Rats, they have made a lifestyle out of it.

It seems all three top QBs have a question mark, Williams crying and maybe wanting a stake in the team, Maye with his knees, Daniels is too thin, if you want to get a good QB sometimes you have to take a chance, in fact at best it's 60-40 that you get a good NFL QB in the first round.
Or,

You take a MHJ or John Alt, who look like future greats and are very unlikely to bust.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back