PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Drafting a QB

It seems all three top QBs have a question mark, Williams crying and maybe wanting a stake in the team, Maye with his knees, Daniels is too thin, if you want to get a good QB sometimes you have to take a chance, in fact at best it's 60-40 that you get a good NFL QB in the first round.

Daniels was not considered a first round pick after 4 years as a starting college quarterback. He broke out this past season in his fifth year. I find that concerning especially when taking into account he was throwing to two of the country’s best receivers. Nabers is considered by most to be the best receiver after Harrison Jr. and Thomas is ranked the 4th or 5th receiver in the draft and a likely late first round pick. He also had a very good tight end in Mason Taylor (Jason Taylor’s son) while throwing behind one of the better offensive lines in the country.

I watched a lot of his passing highlights and they were mostly to wide open receivers. Others were 50/50 balls that his elite receivers were coming down with. Meanwhile his arm strength is mediocre. He’s going to struggle like Mac when threading the needle in the middle of the field and sideline throws.

He is an outstanding runner, but then you have to worry about his physique holding up. He’s not just skinny. He has a slight frame with narrow shoulders and hips.

Williams is certainly going 1 or 2. I’m hoping Maye falls to 3. If not, I think MHJ is the obvious pick.
Williams and Maye are going 1-2. I think Alt should be the pick at 3.

Last edited:
If you pass on the QB you're going to be irrelevant in the AFC until you get an elite QB, all passing does is slow down the process even if you hit it's going to be year 3 before you can realistically become a genuine contender going on typical history.

You better really hate the remaining QB option at 3 if you're going to pass on the QB.

If you pass on the QB you're going to be irrelevant in the AFC until you get an elite QB, all passing does is slow down the process even if you hit it's going to be year 3 before you can realistically become a genuine contender going on typical history.

You better really hate the remaining QB option at 3 if you're going to pass on the QB.
If you pick the wrong one you will be irrelevant for longer.

Honestly, I think Fields could have a similar impact as Lamar if he had better coaching/development. I am not saying I want the Pats to trade for him because I am afraid Chicago may have broken him.

What’s up with all of this Fields talk? People hoping the Pats can fix him, then guess what, he’s due for a payday.

Draft the best available QB with the 3rd pick, someone with potential and a cheap rookie contract and build around him, the right way this time.

If Williams or Maye don't fall, I would take Harrison and trade up for McCarthy. I want a QB who can accurately rip it downfield when moved off his spot.

Don’t get the love for Fields. A high 2nd? For one year of a guy who’s done nothing?

Screw that.

If you can’t get a QB you love, take MhJ and a later QB, go get a vet.

Don’t get the love for Fields. A high 2nd? For one year of a guy who’s done nothing?

Screw that.

If you can’t get a QB you love, take MhJ and a later QB, go get a vet.
Who's that vet? And how much better is he going to be than Fields?

I'm not saying I want Fields but I'd take that chance over Tannehill.

The keys are a QB, an LT and a WR. You can get the QB with your draft pick and a WR in free agency if you are willing to spend but the LT won’t be easy to find. If you draft WR instead then you can try to get QB later, but it’ll be difficult and less likely to succeed, and LT is still a question mark. If you draft LT, you can buy a WR but QB has the aforementioned issues and you’re most likely over-drafting your tackle.

Best approach is probably to try to trade down slightly and still take Daniels, then trade up into the mid 1st for a high end tackle if you can. Sign a free agent WR1.

Thing about focusing on the draft is FA comes first, so it’s almost impossible to say how the draft is going to go because team needs aren’t established yet. Pats sign Kirk cousins to a 3 year 75 mil deal qb becomes less of a MUST draft at #3. Give one of those 2nd tier QBs 2-3 years to sit and learn might get the next Love though so certainly an interesting thought process I would not be opposed to.

Here is my off season plan, step 1 recognize this is not a playoff team next year and focus on long term building of the core. There are too many holes to fill in one offseason so dont bother trying. I’d rather double dip on major issues so they get fixed, then single dip on all the issues and be totally screwed when one doesn’t work out. FA sign one of the good enough to start but not good enough to be a franchise QB Mayfield, Tanahill, Flacco etc idc which one to a 2 year 30-40 mil deal expecting them to start this year while the o line sucks and hopefully a highly drafted rookie learns. At least stop the bleeding so you can evaluate the rest of the roster.

I’m all in on tee Higgins give him a 5 year 22 per deal that is actually a 4 year 18 per but get him in the building. Lastly, and I don’t have a specific name but more a type that hopefully someone more in tune with NFL rosters can supply, a 32-35 year old starting LT that’s making too much money. Needs to be traded for cap relief and a couple of 4ths or 5ths will get it done. Again only expecting to start a year while a rookie gets swing tackle/jumbo TE experience. Besides that, just the usual depth signings and resigning the key FA Owenu and Hunter. Love Dugger but peppers is enough and they need a FS type more then another big hitter.

Draft, hope Drake Maye falls to 3, I’m not trading up for any of the top players and want nothing to do with Caleb Williams. He has primadonna bust written all over him, and while I only have watched highlight reels those have been enough to show me he doesn’t routinely make NFL caliber throws. Lots of broken plays where he hits a wide open guy for a long TD. Compared to Maye, pocket breaking down, trash at his feet, hits his covered guy in a spot only he can get to. That’s what the NFL will be like , so obviously either or both can be a bust, but I like what I have seen. Give him a year to sit, develop and learn from a vet, Star top 10 QB for the next 10 years.

MHJ isn’t Randy Moss he’s a taller faster version of his father, so he’s a guy that will get open a ton and make an offense work but isn’t explosive oooo did you see that? I can see him getting 6 catches for 80 yards game in and game out. He’s just not the guy that will take over and win you a game like Randy could. I’d absolutely love him on the team but any receiver is a waste of resources if you don’t have a QB or an oline. If this was next years draft and some of the holes had been filled I’d be in on drafting MHJ but at this point if he’s who is left of the big 3 I am trying to trade down, no lower then 6 so we still get one of the elite LT prospects. Pick up an extra 2nd rounder. So plan A Maye and trade up with our 2nd and a 3rd to get back into the late first and grab a LT. Plan B trade down get LT then use 2 2nd round picks on QB and WR.

TL;DR version spend the entire offseason fixing QB, LT, WR and leave the rest of the holes til next year.

IMO I don’t think Jayden Daniels is going to be that good because he is super skinny. Few hits in the pros and you out. He needs to bulk up.

I am still hoping we take MHJr out the third pick then trade up and see if we can take Bo Nix.

Skill wise MHJr is the best player in this draft. If commanders take Maye then it shouldn’t be too hard of a decision.

Who's that vet? And how much better is he going to be than Fields?

I'm not saying I want Fields but I'd take that chance over Tannehill.
At that point, there’s a cost/benefit question.

Fields is cheap this year, but that 5th year option explodes and has to be executed before May 2.
It’ll run 30+.

So, pick 34 for one year of a guy whose 3-year performance has been worse than Mac Jones. A reclamation project?

I hope other teams look at Mac like that!

Who’s the vet? Brissett? Or someone else who’s not going to cost what is essentially a late 1st rounder.

Denver has to move Wilson and he can still play. I’d be looking there for a trade before going after Fields. At least he’s been there before.

Fields is cheap this year, but that 5th year option explodes and has to be executed before May 2.
It’ll run 30+.

So, pick 34 for one year of a guy whose 3-year performance has been worse than Mac Jones. A reclamation project?

Who’s the vet? Brissett? Or someone else who’s not going to cost what is essentially a late 1st rounder.

Denver has to move Wilson and he can still play. I’d be looking there for a trade before going after Fields. At least he’s been there before.
The thing about Wilson, while he has an all-time NFL arm (and he does, an absolute cannon), his entire game is checkdowns or deep balls - he's got no intermediate game, and tends to run himself into sacks.

Now, that said, the Patriots offense has been checkdown/deep ball for a long time - and getting sacked is pretty routine.

For the record, I like the idea of bringing in Wilson. I don't think Mac Jones would sign off on that though.

It’ll run 30+.

I'm not clamoring for Fields not am I against it. Our 2nd Rd pick this year is too high. Maybe next year's but I'm not trying to put a price tag on it just saying that compared to what's out there Fields probably has a little value.

It’ll run 30+.

It won’t be that expensive for the 5th year. Should be the as Mac’s, around $25M. It’s only over $30M if they made a Pro Bowl, which I don’t believe Fields has.

Thing about focusing on the draft is FA comes first, so it’s almost impossible to say how the draft is going to go because team needs aren’t established yet. Pats sign Kirk cousins to a 3 year 75 mil deal qb becomes less of a MUST draft at #3. Give one of those 2nd tier QBs 2-3 years to sit and learn might get the next Love though so certainly an interesting thought process I would not be opposed to.

Here is my off season plan, step 1 recognize this is not a playoff team next year and focus on long term building of the core. There are too many holes to fill in one offseason so dont bother trying. I’d rather double dip on major issues so they get fixed, then single dip on all the issues and be totally screwed when one doesn’t work out. FA sign one of the good enough to start but not good enough to be a franchise QB Mayfield, Tanahill, Flacco etc idc which one to a 2 year 30-40 mil deal expecting them to start this year while the o line sucks and hopefully a highly drafted rookie learns. At least stop the bleeding so you can evaluate the rest of the roster.

I’m all in on tee Higgins give him a 5 year 22 per deal that is actually a 4 year 18 per but get him in the building. Lastly, and I don’t have a specific name but more a type that hopefully someone more in tune with NFL rosters can supply, a 32-35 year old starting LT that’s making too much money. Needs to be traded for cap relief and a couple of 4ths or 5ths will get it done. Again only expecting to start a year while a rookie gets swing tackle/jumbo TE experience. Besides that, just the usual depth signings and resigning the key FA Owenu and Hunter. Love Dugger but peppers is enough and they need a FS type more then another big hitter.

Draft, hope Drake Maye falls to 3, I’m not trading up for any of the top players and want nothing to do with Caleb Williams. He has primadonna bust written all over him, and while I only have watched highlight reels those have been enough to show me he doesn’t routinely make NFL caliber throws. Lots of broken plays where he hits a wide open guy for a long TD. Compared to Maye, pocket breaking down, trash at his feet, hits his covered guy in a spot only he can get to. That’s what the NFL will be like , so obviously either or both can be a bust, but I like what I have seen. Give him a year to sit, develop and learn from a vet, Star top 10 QB for the next 10 years.

MHJ isn’t Randy Moss he’s a taller faster version of his father, so he’s a guy that will get open a ton and make an offense work but isn’t explosive oooo did you see that? I can see him getting 6 catches for 80 yards game in and game out. He’s just not the guy that will take over and win you a game like Randy could. I’d absolutely love him on the team but any receiver is a waste of resources if you don’t have a QB or an oline. If this was next years draft and some of the holes had been filled I’d be in on drafting MHJ but at this point if he’s who is left of the big 3 I am trying to trade down, no lower then 6 so we still get one of the elite LT prospects. Pick up an extra 2nd rounder. So plan A Maye and trade up with our 2nd and a 3rd to get back into the late first and grab a LT. Plan B trade down get LT then use 2 2nd round picks on QB and WR.

TL;DR version spend the entire offseason fixing QB, LT, WR and leave the rest of the holes til next year.
I proposed a trade down with TEN at pick 7 in exchange for picks 44 and 77 and had 3 people saying the Pats would be getting screwed in that trade lol.

I agree with the concept. A trade down for a tackle and then coming up slightly later in the 1st for a QB or WR you like may work. You could also just use your two 2nds on WRs/TEs and use your 3rd on a trade for Fields.

That said, yes, if Maye is there at 3 I’m taking him.

I proposed a trade down with TEN at pick 7 in exchange for picks 44 and 77 and had 3 people saying the Pats would be getting screwed in that trade lol.

I agree with the concept. A trade down for a tackle and then coming up slightly later in the 1st for a QB or WR you like may work. You could also just use your two 2nds on WRs/TEs and use your 3rd on a trade for Fields.

That said, yes, if Maye is there at 3 I’m taking him.
I stand by that because the landscape has now changed and I believe the value chart is not some bible anymore.

Dolphins trade the 3rd pick for 12,29,102 and 2022 1st.

Just to move up 8 spots from 29 to 21 coat the Chiefs 29, 94 and 121 and that’s in the latter part of the draft.

The 3rd pick is a gold mine with Daniels, Alt or possibly Harrison as the prize, These players trump the draft chart so if you are going to trade away the pick, why settle?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back