PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We all need to temper our expectations

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Mac Jones has looked solid throughout the preseason. I knew whenever Brady was gone, whoever replaced him long term has huge shoes to fill. We watching 20 years of great football with Brady at the helm and Mac may end up being a decent QB but there will never be another Brady and we shouldnt expect him to be like Brady. Even if Mac becomes like Matt Ryan, he wouldn't be Brady. Older fans will remember before BB had Brady, he had a losing record with the Browns and still had alot to prove, he led the browns to 11-5 record in 1994 but losing records every other year he was the coach in Cleveland. There will be growing pains this season as there is with any rookie QB but I think we do have our QB of the future, he has the accuracy.

But really, I think most will have some expectations of growing pains. And **** if we got matt ryan-level play with this group around him, we’d be in great shape.

Just let Mac be Mac. He's following the guy who followed the goat, and he's going to be fine. He's a very smart and tough kid. I'm all for going through growing pains. I think Mac has the potential to be more than equal to the task. He definitely learns from his mistakes, and I think he's going to be a more than adequate Mac. He doesn't have to be the goat.

I feel good about Jones. But I do feel we shouldn’t expect 40 TD passes and 5 INTs. I think he’s gonna finish with 3000+ yards, probably a 2-1 TD to INT ratio his rookie year. So I could see something like 3500 yards, 25 TD passes and 12 INTs. That, in my opinion, would be an excellent rookie season.

I think this team will be a run first offense. I think we had 2 TD passes and 7 rush TDs in the preseason. I expect a similar ratio.

Victor Rasuk Romance GIF by ABC Network

I think we should rename this thread. The Buzzkill thread. At the very least, the OP'er should be beaten with a pool noodle or some chit for using the word TAMPER in a pats forum.

Mac Jones has looked solid throughout the preseason. I knew whenever Brady was gone, whoever replaced him long term has huge shoes to fill. We watching 20 years of great football with Brady at the helm and Mac may end up being a decent QB but there will never be another Brady and we shouldnt expect him to be like Brady. Even if Mac becomes like Matt Ryan, he wouldn't be Brady. Older fans will remember before BB had Brady, he had a losing record with the Browns and still had alot to prove, he led the browns to 11-5 record in 1994 but losing records every other year he was the coach in Cleveland. There will be growing pains this season as there is with any rookie QB but I think we do have our QB of the future, he has the accuracy.
Speaking for me, no, I don't expect Mac to be another Brady, and I'm not even confident we have our QB of the future, that's way too early to call IMO.

I am confident after watching all the pre-season games and some practice stuff that I personally enjoy watching Mac rather than Cam so I'm looking forward to the season a lot more than I was yesterday when I was concerned Bill would go with Cam.

Let's just take this one step at a time.

Why can’t we have high expectations?
That’s one of the most enjoyable parts of being a fan.
Why would you want to be depressed at 0-0?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back