PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We all need to temper our expectations

Alabama made him the starter 12 months ago. Jones has started a total of 15 games playing for the best team in the country and for the BB of college football.

Its time to put the cork back on the apple cider jug.
You do realize he still has to make the reads, still has to make the throws. Also, the team in 2019 was actually a better team, still had Ruggs and Jeudy, and a full season of Waddle. The big difference between 2019 and 2020 was the HUGE improvements made by Jones. Bama lost Waddle in game 5, and basically had Smith, and the rest no name receivers. Also, Bama had an even more impressive season than LSU the year before, because their whole schedule was against the SEC last year.

So Jones had the highest completion percentage EVER in an NCAA season, the highest QBR ever in an NCAA season. 4500 yards passing, 41 TD passes, and only 4 INTs, WITHOUT Ruggs, Jeudy and 7 games without Waddle. Also set the school record for yards in a season (only the 2nd 4500+ yard passing season in SEC history), completions in a season, and completions in a game. Fell short for the school record in TD passes in a season to Tua’s 43, but Tua did that in 15 games, with some of those games against weak teams, while like I said, EVERY Bama game this year came against SEC teams, the toughest division in College football. Which makes those accomplishments even more amazing.

You can hate Mac all you want, but the numbers don’t lie, what people outside the organization are saying about him matters. Waddle and Smith were asked which QB they liked to play with better, and they BOTH said Jones over Tua. You may be right, he may bust, but he certainly has shown a lot in a little bit of time.

His ceiling is probably Matt Ryan and I'm pretty ok with that.

I'm gonna be patient with Mac just like I'm patient with every other player which means I won't even start thinking about him being a bust for at least a season and a half of games.
I’ve seen others compare him to Ryan. I agree, I’d be fine with that. Ryan is an excellent QB, maybe not top 5, but definitely top 10 annually during his career.

Very tough to compare the NFL in 2001 and in 2021. Game has changed so much. In 2001, as a DB, you could mug a WR, 2021 can’t be as physical with a receiver. I think offenses AND defenses have changed a lot in 20 years.

I remember when Brady surpassed Montana in yards, he said the game had changed so much from Montana’s era to Brady’s era.

I believe it would actually be considered a disappointment if Jones matches Brady’s 2001 production. Brady made the Pro Bowl in 2001, but if you have those same stats in 2021, you’re probably considered a bottom 10 QB.
That's why I think he'll have a much better year. I foresee a couple of 350+ yard games for him this year

Alabama made him the starter 12 months ago. Jones has started a total of 15 games playing for the best team in the country and for the BB of college football.

Its time to put the cork back on the apple cider jug.
This thread is about "tempering our expectations"...(shrugs)

Screw it...I am positive pete!

While I do not think jones is ready to start for us. I will say this:

- jones has played and excelled in some really big games in college.
- the patriots coaches will prepare Jones for everything Miami does!
- jones is a winner and has a burning desire to excel!

early in the year, it could be a bit brutal to watch, but I think jones will get better as the season progresses!

anything better than 7 wins (with 2 coming against the Jets) in a win for me this season!

Yes. I don’t understand the connection between being unhappy when you lose and being afraid to have hope before the season starts
So a fan can’t have high expectations for the future and enjoy a young star in the making if the team is 2-8?
Do you know what the Bruins record was in Orr’s rookie year?

So a fan can’t have high expectations for the future and enjoy a young star in the making if the team is 2-8?
Do you know what the Bruins record was in Orr’s rookie year?
Who said fans can’t have expectations. Not me. I said nothing about charger fans expectations I said they didn’t enjoy losing.

This thread is just not the same since the name change. I’m not ok.

If you went into it believing you were supposed to tamper your expectations, it made for an interesting, if bizarre, read. Now it’s just some boring, stupid ass crap about why a fan can’t be excited, like it‘s going to affect a player or make any actual difference.

It was a lot more exciting thinking I was potentially getting a fine - or even loss of draft pick - for trying to get my expectations to sign with my team, even though my expectations are already under contract.

Last edited:
Lame. Jones will have a great year, IMHO. League is so so much different then 2001. If Hebert can do it - so can Jones. Jones has the touch - you can see it back in his Rivals camp video. Guy is a super accurate thrower.

I think Jones got overlooked and is still being overlooked because he's a pocket passer and not as mobile as the other guys drafted.

But we forget what's most important in the NFL really is reading the defense and making the right throws to the right guys. And Mac can do that. He has a high football IQ so he will do well.

Was manning, Brees or Brady the most athletic guys?
Everyone saying what the ceiling is for Jones is full of it. For this very reason. The mental part of the game is key for a QB. Excel at it and you can walk into Canton. We do not know how Jones will handle that. So we do not know his ceiling. As no one had a clue on Brady’s ceiling week 1 of 2001.

Right throws, right guys and ON TIME

Mac Jones has looked solid throughout the preseason. I knew whenever Brady was gone, whoever replaced him long term has huge shoes to fill. We watching 20 years of great football with Brady at the helm and Mac may end up being a decent QB but there will never be another Brady and we shouldnt expect him to be like Brady. Even if Mac becomes like Matt Ryan, he wouldn't be Brady. Older fans will remember before BB had Brady, he had a losing record with the Browns and still had alot to prove, he led the browns to 11-5 record in 1994 but losing records every other year he was the coach in Cleveland. There will be growing pains this season as there is with any rookie QB but I think we do have our QB of the future, he has the accuracy.
OK, let's establish what we expected, to see if we need to now expect less.

ONE POPULAR SCENARIO (I THINK) 10-7 or 11-6.

Many expected Cam to start the season and go 1-3.
Then, many expected Jones to play the rest of the season and win 9 or10 games.

Q1)
Should we expect Jones to be WORSE than 1-3? Are we more or less likely to win at least 2 games?

Q2)
With 4 games more of game experience, should we expect Jones to do WORSE than win 9 or 10 games? Are we more or less likely to win 10 games or more.
==============

Everyone saying what the ceiling is for Jones is full of it. For this very reason. The mental part of the game is key for a QB. Excel at it and you can walk into Canton. We do not know how Jones will handle that. So we do not know his ceiling. As no one had a clue on Brady’s ceiling week 1 of 2001.

Right throws, right guys and ON TIME

THIS but today all we hear about is how athletic the QB is or if they can throw sideways on a dime.

That's nice and all but the #1 job of the QB is what you stated.

Honestly this team is built for Jones to be successful. Great defense, offensive line, running game. And a rebuilt offense featuring two tight ends, slot guys and multiple catching running backs. Not to mention great coaching. Compare that to what some rookies get thrown into. Like any Jets rookie.

All Mac Jones has to do is read the NFL defenses and make the right throws. Easier said than done. But he's shown in preseason and camp that he can do that.

I think this team is going to look totally different this year. And I'm excited to see what unfolds

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back