PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ways for the Pats to create cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, the Pats are tight against the cap already with about 3.8M. They need to free up space if they want to improve the team other than in the draft.

Before responding. Please understand these are just OPTIONS. I'm not advocating anything one way or the other.

1) Sign Thuney to a long term deal that brings his cap hit for this year to around $7M. - Frees $7.7M
2) Extend Hightower two years - Frees $4M
3) Extend Gilmore two years - Frees $7.5M+
4) Trade Duron Harmon. Frees $4.5M
5) Designate Patrick Chung as a June 1st Cut. Frees $3.5M
6) Cut or extend Mohammed Sanu - Frees up to $6.5M
7) Trade or Cut Marcus Cannon - frees up $4.5 to $7M
8) Cut Gostkowski - EDIT: Frees 877K (had $2M in guaranteed salary, next man up is 675K)

So, there is clearly plenty of money that can be freed up. Anywhere from $27.2M to $40.2M

IMHO 1,2,3 are musts. I love Chung, but he just can't stay healthy anymore and he's really fallen off. And with KGH available, I'd try and get him signed. Same with Schoebert.

P.S. I also believe that there is still a ruling coming from the Aaron Hernandez situation, so the Pats could see some more cap space. EDIT: Miguel just updated that the Pats got 3.25M towards their cap.

EDIT: Added Gostkowski to the list though I doubt the Pats will cut him prior to TC.

EDIT #2: Miguel posted that he believes the Patriots will WIN the case vs. Antonio Brown. Which could bring even MORE cap relief.

Last edited:
Gost cut? That brings in a few dollars too.

Gost cut? That brings in a few dollars too.

I didn't mention him because I doubt the Pats cut him before TC. However, I've added him since you mentioned it.

Patriots made the 1st move to free up cap space in trading Harmon.

I am hoping we cut Gostkowski.....I buy the jersey of the longest tenured Patriot...and need a new one with TB going to TB. I really really want a Slater jersey....

Maybe I'll just get two jerseys...Ghost for road games and Slater for home games....hmmmm....

I do not understand this but if we are losing players does that mean our cap space goes up until we start signing replacement players then it goes down again ? Maybe too simplistic !,

I am hoping we cut Gostkowski.....I buy the jersey of the longest tenured Patriot...and need a new one with TB going to TB. I really really want a Slater jersey....

Maybe I'll just get two jerseys...Ghost for road games and Slater for home games....hmmmm....
If he’s still considered injured, they might not be able to cut him even if they want to.

I do not understand this but if we are losing players does that mean our cap space goes up until we start signing replacement players then it goes down again ? Maybe too simplistic !,
It’s the opposite. For every player we lose, our cap space goes up as a penalty and then goes back down once we sign a replacement player.

Every day at 4 PM, each team needs to be under their adjusted cap for their top 51 players plus dead money. This requirement starts at 4PM today. No contracts with other team can became official until tomorrow, but they can be signed tonight.

Not a simple answer. IF the player leaves or is traded the 2020 cap only contains as yet unamortized bonus money and that cap hit stays. Player's 2020 salary drops from the cap if he was under contract this league year and was cut or traded. If player's contract was already over, the cap already reflected no 2020 salary.

Replacement players for the departed subtract from the cap.

Ways to create cap space?

Start by not offering millions of dollars to an aging special teamer. Follow that by not paying your 33 yr old "rah rah rah" free safety $14 million plus. Let him take his annoying pregame speeches somewhere else.

Thanks for trying guys but I think it's too late for me.....I need to brush up on this somewhere:confused::confused:

1) Sign Thuney to a long term deal that brings his cap hit for this year to around $7M. - Frees $7.7M
2) Extend Hightower two years - Frees $4M
3) Extend Gilmore two years - Frees $7.5M+
4) Trade Duron Harmon. Frees $4.5M
5) Designate Patrick Chung as a June 1st Cut. Frees $3.5M
6) Cut or extend Mohammed Sanu - Frees up to $6.5M
7) Trade or Cut Marcus Cannon - frees up $4.5 to $7M
8) Cut Gostkowski - Frees 3.4M

So, there is clearly plenty of money that can be freed up. Anywhere from $27.2M to $40.2M

IMHO 1,2,3 are musts. I love Chung, but he just can't stay healthy anymore and he's really fallen off. And with KGH available, I'd try and get him signed. Same with Schoebert.

1-3 get us $20M without any cuts.

5-8 require a replacement that arguably could be secured for the same money. So, for me, these are personnel issues; no cap space is freed up after the replacement is sigred.

5-8 require a replacement that arguably could be secured for the same money. So, for me, these are personnel issues; no cap space is freed up after the replacement is sigred.

Agree to disagree. Rookies replacing these guys frees up tons of money.
- Chung took a huge step back last year. And Brooks wasn't an improvement.
- I love Gostkowski. I think he's staying until the Pats know they have a replacement. Be a decent savings if a rookie kicker is brought in and wins the job.

With the Coronavirus delaying these contracts becoming official, can we get a mulligan on the Slater and Mccourty resignings?

Agree to disagree. Rookies replacing these guys frees up tons of money.
- Chung took a huge step back last year. And Brooks wasn't an improvement.
- I love Gostkowski. I think he's staying until the Pats know they have a replacement. Be a decent savings if a rookie kicker is brought in and wins the job.

I apologize. I didn't think that you were discussing starting rookies after cutting well qualified veterans.

I do agree with regard to Gostkowski.
====
To be clear, I understand the perspective of getting rid of veterans and expecting 3rd round or later rookies to replace them with little loss in production. I understand. I just strongly disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes