PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was The Draft Average After The First Round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, after the first pick, I don't expect a lot of help from the draftees this year. Some one or two MIGHT step up.

If the emphasis is on 2021 contributions, I would say that this a decidedly below average group. Is it great in future value? Maybe, maybe not.

To be clear, I'm fine with Belichick's approach. He got everything he wanted in free agency (or will when we trade for Julio). His approach for draft success was simple: find a quarterback (a position of critical need), and find players who will be contributors in Years 2-4.

However, cap isn't all that wrong. After Jones, don't expect a lot, certainly not a lot this year.

Personally, after the first pick, I don't expect a lot of help from the draftees this year. Some one or two MIGHT step up.

If the emphasis is on 2021 contributions, I would say that this a decidedly below average group. Is it great in future value? Maybe, maybe not.

To be clear, I'm fine with Belichick's approach. He got everything he wanted in free agency (or will when we trade for Julio). His approach for draft success was simple: find a quarterback (a position of critical need), and find players who will be contributors in Years 2-4.

However, cap isn't all that wrong. After Jones, don't expect a lot, certainly not a lot this year.

WAY too early to make this determination. The additional reality is that the vast majority of people here, including I, have no business giving an opinion about the day 3 picks, because they are not educated/informed opinions.

The most bothersome thing about your thread, however, is that you are encouraging Captain Stone to post. There may not currently be a law against this but there should be.

After Mac, I’m really excited to see the development of Barmore, Perkins & Rham. I’ll be a bit bummed if we aren’t seeing sub contributions from these guys by the back half of the season, or seeing some sort of development that has us expecting more from them next season. From Rham, I’ll be happy with just seeing him not land on IR and playing a handful of snaps every few games. I have very high hopes for McGrone by years 3-4.

Overall though, too early to be disappointed or excited. On a side note, I’ve heard some positive things about our 1 UDFA Kicker. Anyone else heard anything?

After Mac, I’m really excited to see the development of Barmore, Perkins & Rham. I’ll be a bit bummed if we aren’t seeing sub contributions from these guys by the back half of the season.
I expect Barmore to see pass rush duty early. I think Perkins and Stevenson will play special teams. Because Stevenson is unique among the RBs in versatility, he could make game day roster on teams and get some RB snaps backing up all of the RB responsibilities.

Disagree completely, I think Barmore will give them the interior rush they when Butler left, Perkins will contribute significantly, and Stevenson will give them a big back to wear defenses down. This was the best draft they have had in years, and they will contribute this season.

Disagree completely, I think Barmore will give them the interior rush they when Butler left, Perkins will contribute significantly, and Stevenson will give them a big back to wear defenses down. This was the best draft they have had in years, and they will contribute this season.
Perkins oozes bad man attitude. If Mac is who we think he is and Barmore & Perkins pan out, one helluva draft imo.

I agree. I was also thrilled with the McGrone pick in the fifth. I watched some Michigan Games and if he can be a fufure let‘s say two down ILB with more Athletic than Bentley we got good value out of this pick.
I did Not know Nixon tbh but i Hope he can put some pressure on our outside WR. I can see more starting potential out of this draft than other years. Of course its a lot speculation rn due

I agree. I was also thrilled with the McGrone pick in the fifth. I watched some Michigan Games and if he can be a fufure let‘s say two down ILB with more Athletic than Bentley we got good value out of this pick.
I did Not know Nixon tbh but i Hope he can put some pressure on our outside WR. I can see more starting potential out of this draft than other years. Of course its a lot speculation rn due

Yep, I liked the McGrone pick as well. Had he not gotten hurt he would have gone top 100.

Yep, I liked the McGrone pick as well. Had he not gotten hurt he would have gone top 100.
Agree. I never expected Jones Barmore Perkins or McGrone to be available tbh where we picked them. Perkins had several second rd grades i believe and i thought Barmore would sneak late First. I am glad BB pulled the trigger and traded up for hin, i liked this aggressiveness and don‘t care about the 2 fourth rd picks we gave up. In the Ende the best move might be staying put and still getting MJ without giving up the Future

I really don’t get why anyone is down on this draft, even the eternally miserable should have been happy with it. They got the QB in the first, they got the top defensive tackle in the 2nd, the Perkins pick was a steal, and they got a power back in the 4th. They didn’t panic and waste a pick trading up for Jones, and they moved on Barmore when they knew he wouldn’t last much longer. They addressed every need that was identified going into this off-season, and went at it aggressively. Any reasonable fan should be happy with their off-season acquisitions, and those who get upset when they don’t manage to pick up all of their specific binkies are idiots who really don’t understand how this works.

I really don’t get why anyone is down on this draft, even the eternally miserable should have been happy with it. They got the QB in the first, they got the top defensive tackle in the 2nd, the Perkins pick was a steal, and they got a power back in the 4th. They didn’t panic and waste a pick trading up for Jones, and they moved on Barmore when they knew he wouldn’t last much longer. They addressed every need that was identified going into this off-season, and went at it aggressively. Any reasonable fan should be happy with their off-season acquisitions, and those who get upset when they don’t manage to pick up all of their specific binkies are idiots who really don’t understand how this works.

It was an excellent draft with Eliot Wolf and Groh and also Patricia all providing solid support and decision making. A welcome departure from 2013-2019.

You wish everyone to say that we had a great draft after R1; one of the best in league. I think that those who believe that all post on patriot message boards.

I am NOT "down" on the draft. We had a GREAT first round, and an OK rest of the draft (average after the first pick). That is not a terrible draft. Belichick chose to fill this year's needs in free agency, focusing the draft (after R1) on needs for the future. I applaud that strategy.
===========
BTW, had Belichick drafted as well in the past (great first and average thereafter), I would think that an improvement.

You wish everyone to say that we had a great draft after R1; one of the best in league. I think that those who believe that all post on patriot message boards.

I am NOT "down" on the draft. We had a GREAT first round, and an OK rest of the draft (average after the first pick). That is not a terrible draft. Belichick chose to fill this year's needs in free agency, focusing the draft (after R1) on needs for the future. I applaud that strategy.
===========
BTW, had Belichick drafted as well in the past (great first and average thereafter), I would think that an improvement.

I didn’t say everyone had to applaud it, I said that it’s hard to see how people can be unhappy with this draft and free agency, as they aggressively addressed every concern people had going into this off-season. If people want to take a wait and see approach that’s fine, but b.tching about it doesn’t make any sense to me. Some people are never happy, no matter what they do or what they achieve, that’s just the way they are. My opinion is that’s one of the best offseason’s they havevever had.

I have a hard time viewing this draft as merely average. There are only two bases for rating a draft a month later, and they are both guessing games. Either a team gets a good grade for selecting perceived value, or they get a good grade for filling positions of need.

I thought Barmore would have been the pick in round 1 if Jones wasn't available (hell, I was scared they would take him despite Jones' availability). Perkins could have easily been a mid-second rounder. The draft passes the value test. As for need, you could squabble over the lack of a CB or high end WR, but the absolute biggest need was addressed in Jones, and DT was a big need too.

I could be wrong. The 2019 draft class fit both value and need, and I thought it would come in and extend the dynasty another 5 years. Who knows.

Just read the thread, and don't see anyone being down on the draft of b.tching about it. Just a declaration that the players taken need a developmental year or two in order to crack the regular rotation and make significant contributions.

It was an excellent draft with Eliot Wolf and Groh and also Patricia all providing solid support and decision making. A welcome departure from 2013-2019.

Dave Zeigler did a masterful job in his first draft as GM. His advice to Belichick was priceless. Belichick really put his trust in Zeigler and it paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes