PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WA private HS school team has 3 forfeit wins this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
not only that, but then there's the liability of what happens when adults put kids into a situation like that.....since they are all minors, it should not be up to the kids anyway and in my digging have not been able to identify a single parent who complained about the decision

I guess it comes down to actually having kids and then seeing if you get parent of the year award for putting the kids in harms way due to an excess of testosterone
This kind of thinking is right up there with the line of thinking that because we'd be ****ty presidents ourselves then we shouldn't criticize the president

the answer is looking you in the face........a team of 14-15 players against AM is not whatever you make of it....it's a f*cking safety issue, get it?

Then they're in the wrong sport. The entire games are safety issues. If they're concerned, football is not the sport they should be playing. Neither is hockey or most other contact sports for that matter.

I don't have a kid in football (I have a six year old girl whose idea of sport is pretending to be a unicorn). But I know that in HS sports in general they have safeguards in place (divisions etc) to make sure that we don't end up in a pee-wee plays Patriots type situation. When those safeguards fail, then we no longer have the same expectation of injury -- the expectations drastically change compared to what I signed up for.

These are probably kids that love football, and love the game, but not so much that they want to elevate the risk of concussion above a certain threshold. Frankly this seems perfectly reasonable, given the sport we are talking about. If they quit just because they were worse, and it was chess, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Everyone has a line where pride becomes folly. Deus/Kontradiction, where are your lines? Or would you rather die than give up? Would you rather your child die than forfeit? I'm saying this to make the conceptual point that there has to be a line (unless you are just crazy or morally beyond reach). The question is where is it for you? If you were in MMA would you rather have your arm broken than tap out?

Frankly it seems this School of Giants needs to go to a different division, because this is the third school they were scheduled to play that is forfeiting. This suggests something has gone wrong with the system. Problem is there may be no other options in the area: they are playing everyone they can, but they also have recruited everyone in the sphere of elibigle players. So it is pretty much an unfair advantage. Everyone else is pretty much like OK screw you you can go play with yourself in the corner if you are going to just recruit every above average player in the region. We will play each other and you can go jerk each other off.

Sort of a nice ironic twist. This is sort of the underground storyline here it seems.

My kid will probably never play football just simply BECAUSE of concern for permanent injury. I'm the wrong guy to ask these questions to.

I think we're beyond this specific instance and are on anew argument of principle now. Still, the 14 or 15 active players would like to play against a lesser team, right? Then the point still stands. Don't pick and choose what games to play based on risk assessment.

are you saying the coach and other adults should ignore the risks and just throw them out there? do you have kids?

Then they're in the wrong sport. The entire games are safety issues. If they're concerned, football is not the sport they should be playing. Neither is hockey or most other contact sports for that matter.

who are you to say?

Ugh videos. Can someone please transcribe or summarize so I don't have to spend 24 minutes watching videos?

They're two minutes each :p

Essentially, the teams that played them said that they had no chance on the field, but that they learned from playing better teams. No one got injured, other than typical bruises or bumps that you'd expect from a contact sport.

The players from AM basically just feel frustrated that they don't get to play. They want to play a game that they enjoy. Some of them are quite normal looking high schoolers. I know I wasn't interested in actually HURTING someone when I played sports. I just wanted to win and have fun. They've said the same thing.

They're two minutes each :p

Essentially, the teams that played them said that they had no chance on the field, but that they learned from playing better teams. No one got injured, other than typical bruises or bumps that you'd expect from a contact sport.

The players from AM basically just feel frustrated that they don't get to play. They want to play a game that they enjoy. Some of them are quite normal looking high schoolers. I know I wasn't interested in actually HURTING someone when I played sports. I just wanted to win and have fun. They've said the same thing.

what's not to like when you're beating the **** out of everyone? if they were placed in 1A where they belong, then they would not have this problem......but then again, they'd be losing some games, so sandbagging it is

who are you to say?

As you said before, it's really not that difficult. Football isn't for someone with those kind of concerns over injuries. There are other sports out there with a much lesser risk of injury for someone like that. Basketball and baseball are two American sports that immediately come to mind.

are you saying the coach and other adults should ignore the risks and just throw them out there? do you have kids?
I'm saying it's up to them but I personally would not sign up to play football and then decide that game x on my schedule is too dangerous for me. It's either too dangerous period or not too dangerous period. No I don't have kids. But I've been one, and that's my mentality.

The most "****ified" thing about any of this is a bunch of absolutely certain football message board posts in the middle of a work day from people who are 3,000 miles away from the situation. Including this one.
Hey man I took the day off. 4 day weekend baby

I don't have a kid in football (I have a six year old girl whose idea of sport is pretending to be a unicorn). But I know that in HS sports in general they have safeguards in place (divisions etc) to make sure that we don't end up in a pee-wee plays Patriots type situation. When those safeguards fail, then we no longer have the same expectation of injury -- the expectations drastically change compared to what I signed up for.

These are probably kids that love football, and love the game, but not so much that they want to elevate the risk of concussion above a certain threshold. Frankly this seems perfectly reasonable, given the sport we are talking about. If they quit just because they were worse, and it was chess, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Everyone has a line where pride becomes folly. Deus/Kontradiction, where are your lines? Or would you rather die than give up? Would you rather your child die than forfeit? I'm saying this to make the conceptual point that there has to be a line (unless you are just crazy or morally beyond reach). The question is where is it for you? If you were in MMA would you rather have your arm broken than tap out?

Frankly it seems this School of Giants needs to go to a different division, because this is the third school they were scheduled to play that is forfeiting. This suggests something has gone wrong with the system. Problem is there may be no other options in the area: they are playing everyone they can, but they also have recruited everyone in the sphere of elibigle players. So it is pretty much an unfair advantage. Everyone else is pretty much like OK screw you you can go play with yourself in the corner if you are going to just recruit every above average player in the region. We will play each other and you can go jerk each other off.

Sort of a nice ironic twist. This is sort of the underground storyline here it seems.

You articulate things very well, nice post

Talk about sending the wrong message.

As you said before, it's really not that difficult. Football isn't for someone with those kind of concerns over injuries. There are other sports out there with a much lesser risk of injury for someone like that. Basketball and baseball are two American sports that immediately come to mind.

Are you trying to be stupid? Or just sound 'tough'?

It's the coaches call.........and 3 of them made the call

you've made it perfectly clear that you should never coach a sport where minors are involved

I'm saying it's up to them but I personally would not sign up to play football and then decide that game x on my schedule is too dangerous for me. It's either too dangerous period or not too dangerous period. No I don't have kids. But I've been one, and that's my mentality.

as @neuronet said: 'it's not binary'

They made their decision and that is up to them. I have no problem with that. If I were a parent at that meeting, I would have been vocal about what message we are sending to our kids. I would have spoken my piece and went along with the consensus. It's football. I was a very skinny white boy playing on an all black freshman team in highschool. I survived. I took a lot of hits in practice and a lot of crap. I knew I wasn't cut out for football at that level, but I didn't wimp out. I lined up and made the hits and sometimes got creamed.

you make no sense
It makes no sense becaus3 you don't want it to. You're basically saying if we don't have kids we can't opine. Which I think people have been considerate enough to accept that it's a parent and/or child's choice. There's no right or wrong answer. Just differing values

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back