PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Update: Curran says Belichick has been on the hot seat since 2019

The question is how bad would it need to be for Kraft to fire Belichick after the season?

6 or less wins = 90% getting fired

7 or 8 wins and 3rd or 4th in the division = 50%

9 wins and no playoffs = 10%

10 wins or more = 0%

BB brought all of these on himself with that foolish arrangement last season. I thought there was an actual plan. In hindsight, that was weird as ****. He made this bed and will lay in it until he gets Mac to play at a high level or get another QB in there who can play.

Not sure "hot seat" is the right term...but concern about his judgment as GM is definitely warranted by the owner

1. Not planning at all for potential Brady departure
2. Signing Cam as your plan B at the last minute as solution to #1
3. Not planning at all for McDaniels departure
4. Asking Patricia and Judge to serve as OC and QB coach
5. Spending like a drunken sailor on Agholor, Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry

# 1,3 and 4 are all serious errors in judgment that hurt the team and would have gotten most any other GM fired.

He has this year to prove the team is taking forward steps...if they do not he should be canned.

I have no idea what direction Bill has this team going. Combine that with no playoff appearances and no playoff wins, yeah he should be on the hot seat.

There is nothing Curran has said that is wrong. Other than Macs rookie year where it looked like we took a step forward, it has been bad decision after bad decision since 2019.

If any other GM or coach hired a DC/special teams coach as OC and it looked like it did last year they would be fired.

If it was the Jets there would be a 100 page thread. but because it's Bill, it's IBWT

BB brought all of these on himself with that foolish arrangement last season. I thought there was an actual plan. In hindsight, that was weird as ****. He made this bed and will lay in it until he gets Mac to play at a high level or get another QB in there who can play.

Honestly had they made an effort to keep McDaniels or actually hire a real OC to replace him they could've just built on the previous year. It's simple as that. It's making a BASIC football move many teams make when their OC leaves.

Instead bill reverted into his "smarter than everyone" mode and made the bizarre move of just putting Patricia in McDaniels role. At the time the media was all over how bizarre it was in March

And as expected it was a disaster. A disaster that could've been prevented has Bill done something novel like hire someone with experience running offense.

Kraft trusted Bill in letting brady go. it blew up in their faces.
Then Kraft begrugingly trusted Bill with the patricia hire even though he said it was "unconventional" and it was an embarrassment again

so its really should be no surprise to posters that Bill is on the hot-seat.

Last edited:
Agree. That would be akin to Parcells overseeing Belichick at the Jets, a situation Belichick walked away from.

I thought that was mainly due to the ownership change after Leon Hess died...?

Last edited:
BB brought all of these on himself with that foolish arrangement last season. I thought there was an actual plan. In hindsight, that was weird as ****.
Yep, same as not having a plan post-Brady... He would've better served the franchise in 2020 if he had never signed Scam Newton and instead played Stidham &/or Hoyer, damn the results; and then been a massive Seller at the trade deadline... He would've received a LOT more for Gilmore than he received for him one year later too.

He made this bed and will lay in it until he gets Mac to play at a high level or get another QB in there who can play.

...or someone else in the FO such as Eliot Wolf is allowed to choose the next starting QB of the NEP.

Last edited:
They're, umm, Not the reigning champions.

Bill the Grocery-Shopper should've been Fired after 2020.
They were in 2019.
Bill the grocery shopper who has won the most SBs ever, knows more than you.

They were in 2019.
Bill the grocery shopper who has won the most SBs ever, knows more than you.
And now we know more than ever that Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time….Tom was the CATALYST for all those SBs and made many average players around him look elite….and in many/most seasons with a shaky OL..Bill has been a great coach and has been a great overa defensive mind …but his time here is just about up…

And now we know more than ever that Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time….Tom was the CATALYST for all those SBs and made many average players around him look elite….and in many/most seasons with a shaky OL..Bill has been a great coach and has been a great overa defensive mind …but his time here is just about up…
Sorry success and achievement happens. They don’t mean less because someone wants to diminish the role of the participants. They won them together, with many other teammates, coaches and executives.
His time here will be done when he is ready to retire. Not a day earlier.

I've always thought we will know when Bill hits his expiry date as HC of the NEP... that's when he loses the locker room and the team implodes. We might even hear leaders like Slater and Mac speak up publicly about the way things are being run on the team. That's how Coughlin got turfed by the Giants.

Last season was the first time I got some sense of that happening in Foxboro. Let's see if it continues this season.

Of course, the weird thing that no one seems to talk about here is that, if BB is on some hot seat these last few years, he certainly isn't coaching or GM'ing like it.

If he leaves next year or the year after, he's leaving his successor with a full slate of draft picks and gobs of money to play with.

Seems to me, if BB was really only caring about Shula's record, or about sticking around for a couple of years, someone like AJ Brown would be a Patriot, along with a bunch of other heavy hitting trades for draft capital, along with high-priced FA's - not the 2's and 3's he's been shopping for, like Agholor, Smith, Henry, or Bourne, but the REAL blue-chippers that "break the bank."

He hasn't done that in the rebuild. He hasn't crippled this team going forward at all. They are in fantastic shape financially (why would he care if the criticisms were true?), and are building a strong core of young players, and keeping their draft picks.

Criticizing BB is FUN!!!!! for so many here and talk radios idiots, but why would he be signing Calvin Anderson instead of Orlando Brown if it was all about right now?

Because it's not, and whoever succeeds BB in both his positions will be in great shape.

I seriously believe this could be Belichick's last year as the Patriots' head coach. I don't think Kraft likes paying him the highest paid salary for a head coach for the Pats to be a consistent middle of the pack team and not winning a playoff game since the 2018 season. I think if the Pats do not make the playoffs this season, Belichick being asked to resign isn't off the table.

Kraft only has so many years left on this earth. And if the best Belichick can deliver every year is is an 8-10 win team and either just missing the playoffs or being one and done in the playoffs, it is best to move on. A rebuild with a new coach and GM could take 3-4 years especially if Mac Jones isn't the QB of the future.

And quite frankly, if he isn't I would rather take an 3-5 win season or two in hopes to draft that QB of the future rather than another four or five years of 8-10 win seasons with an average QB.

I am beginning to wonder if the game has passed Belichick by and whether he even really cares enough to adjust and compete. He seems to be more stubborn to prove he can win his way even though the league has changed.

Of course, the weird thing that no one seems to talk about here is that, if BB is on some hot seat these last few years, he certainly isn't coaching or GM'ing like it.

If he leaves next year or the year after, he's leaving his successor with a full slate of draft picks and gobs of money to play with.

Seems to me, if BB was really only caring about Shula's record, or about sticking around for a couple of years, someone like AJ Brown would be a Patriot, along with a bunch of other heavy hitting trades for draft capital, along with high-priced FA's - not the 2's and 3's he's been shopping for, like Agholor, Smith, Henry, or Bourne, but the REAL blue-chippers that "break the bank."

He hasn't done that in the rebuild. He hasn't crippled this team going forward at all. They are in fantastic shape financially (why would he care if the criticisms were true?), and are building a strong core of young players, and keeping their draft picks.

Criticizing BB is FUN!!!!! for so many here and talk radios idiots, but why would he be signing Calvin Anderson instead of Orlando Brown if it was all about right now?

Because it's not, and whoever succeeds BB in both his positions will be in great shape.
Has Bill ever said he gives a :poop: about Shula and the record? I can't recall him ever talking about it. When has he ever talked about individual accolades for himself? Quite the contrary, he defers to the players. It's a player's game. I know everyone and his brother on here points to the record, usually followed by a statement about arrogance and ego. I think the man is a football coach, period.

They are in fantastic shape financially
Might have everything to do with the team's failures drafting players who are worthy of 2nd contracts.

And ask Robert how fantastic a job Bill did buying expensive groceries at the FA market in '21.

Happy Game Show GIF by ABC Network

Interesting how more and more journalists are chiming in after Volin started the fire.

But where was everyone like Curran, Breer, Bedard before this? Curran and Breer have chimed in stating the seat was hot only after Volin mentions it.

Where they afraid of getting backlash and only chimed in because Volin didn't?

They are in "fantastic shape financially" because the team has literally zero talent on the books for 2025. No offensive starter sans Cole Strange, only Gonzalez and maybe Jack Jones if he's not in legal trouble on defense. That's it. They have nothing on the books and will likely need a 2021 style FA splurge to completely rebuild the team as soon as next off-season. That's not doing a good job, that's not having young players worth keeping.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back