PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Update: 5-year old girl involved in Britt Reid accident awakens from coma

Britt pleads not guilty after testing at .113 BAC two hours after the incident.

"According to police, Reid was driving about 84 mph prior to the collision. He had a blood alcohol level of 0.113 two hours after the crash (the legal limit is 0.08). Ariel Young, the 5-year-old child who was in one of the cars struck by Reid's vehicle, suffered a traumatic brain injury. Reid underwent emergency surgery for his groin following the collision."

And is still allowed to drive?

"The judge has allowed Reid to resume driving with restrictions that include a special interlock device that will require him to pass a Breathalyzer-type test before his vehicle will start. "

Thats f'd up. I hope this pos actually serves some jail time

This man won’t see a day in jail and will likely get another job with the Chiefs under the justification that it provides him structure. (Which clearly worked out great last time)

Thats f'd up. I hope this pos actually serves some jail time

I'm wondering if it's the norm that he is allowed to continue to drive. 0.113 BAC + crashing into vehicles causing permanent damage = allowed to continue to drive? Doesn't make sense to me.

It's not because the girl is black; it's because the driver is Chumley Reid's son.
hope that's not a factor either but i don't think of missouri as a racially forward thinking state. i've met a few people from missouri and that's just the vibe i got from that small sample size.

You know the immediate instinct is when stuff like this happens is to say "throw the book at him and send him to jail", and I have to say it was my initial thought, AND it made me feel good to think he'd be rotting away in a jail cell.

But here's the thing. While putting him away for a long time might make US feel better about a tragic event. Would it be justice. Some may think so, perhaps most would. But the question is how would society be bettered.

Herre is what I think would be a better sentence:

1. He spends a year in a secure mental health facility to clean up and work on his illness.

2. When he's released he spend a year in a minimum security lock up because bad decisions have to have concequences.

3. Upon release from prison he is sent to a halfway house for another 3 years where his required to work community service, and not just cleaning highways. No, it should be a job where he has to work in a hospital, or rehab clinic working with victims of auto crashes. Or perhaps a hospice. Places where he can see up close the consequences of bad decisions/

4. And then of course he needs to be responsible for any and all medical bills of the victims of the crash, AND the preverbal pain and suffering. I know he will never be able to pay that kind of cost, bit his family, fortunately, can. They supported him while he was drinking, they can support him now.

So after 5 years of supervised life, it is more likely that Reid can fully reenter society and be a contributing citizen. One who is healthy and with more empathy and understanding of himself and those around him.

It is seay to want punishment for those who transgress societal laws. But the fact is that 9$+% of those who go to prison WILL get out, and IMHO we do a piss poor job of preparing them to succeed once they eventually leave. We we as a society decided to move from rehabilitation to mass incarceration, all we have gotten from the effort are released prisoners who are angrier going out than they were going in, and more likely to be better criminals coming out than they were coming in.

Yeah I know that this is an oversimplified analysis, and there ARE people who should be put away forever. l; Amd there ARE rehabilitation programs that do good work. But too often we take the easy road, and in ends up costing us a LOT more in the end.

Last edited:
hope that's not a factor either but i don't think of missouri as a racially forward thinking state. i've met a few people from missouri and that's just the vibe i got from that small sample size.

Darren Wilson was Justified.

You know the immediate instinct is when stuff like this happens is to say "throw the book at him and send him to jail", and I have to say it was my initial thought, AND it made me feel good to think he'd be rotting away in a jail cell.

But here's the thing. While putting him away for a long time might make US feel better about a tragic event. Would it be justice. Some may think so, perhaps most would. But the question is how would society be bettered.

Herre is what I think would be a better sentence:

1. He spends a year in a secure mental health facility to clean up and work on his illness.

2. When he's released he spend a year in a minimum security lock up because bad decisions have to have concequences.

3. Upon release from prison he is sent to a halfway house for another 3 years where his required to work community service, and not just cleaning highways. No, it should be a job where he has to work in a hospital, or rehab clinic working with victims of auto crashes. Or perhaps a hospice. Places where he can see up close the consequences of bad decisions/

4. And then of course he needs to be responsible for any and all medical bills of the victims of the crash, AND the preverbal pain and suffering. I know he will never be able to pay that kind of cost, bit his family, fortunately, can. They supported him while he was drinking, they can support him now.

So after 5 years of supervised life, it is more likely that Reid can fully reenter society and be a contributing citizen. One who is healthy and with more empathy and understanding of himself and those around him.

It is seay to want punishment for those who transgress societal laws. But the fact is that 9$+% of those who go to prison WILL get out, and IMHO we do a piss poor job of preparing them to succeed once they eventually leave. We we as a society decided to move from rehabilitation to mass incarceration, all we have gotten from the effort are released prisoners who are angrier going out than they were going in, and more likely to be better criminals coming out than they were coming in.

Yeah I know that this is an oversimplified analysis, and there ARE people who should be put away forever. l; Amd there ARE rehabilitation programs that do good work. But too often we take the easy road, and in ends up costing us a LOT more in the end.

Well thought out.

and im sure there will be a expertly crafted NDA that expressly prevents the Hunt family of the Chiefs name from ever escaping the lips of the victim or her family members...
Well yeah... isn't that kinda the point of an out of court settlement?

His family is not liable for his legal responsibilities - nor should they be.

We (still) do not know the exact circumstances of this particular case. I could see potential liability on the part of his employer which could potentially involve Andy Reid, but that is in Reid's relationship as employer, not father.

His family is not liable for his legal responsibilities - nor should they be.

We (still) do not know the exact circumstances of this particular case. I could see potential liability on the part of his employer which could potentially involve Andy Reid, but that is in Reid's relationship as employer, not father.
Oh I agree the Reid FAMILY has no legal obligation to pay their son's bill. But I'm thinking there is a moral obligation. Hard to believe Reid will ever make the kind of money to pay for the medical bills that family will amass let alone any pain and suffering. hey they must be well into 7 figures by now. I'm just opining that Dad and the Chiefs CAN afford it. The victim's family is going to need financial support, and while it might not be the "legal" necessity, it would be the RIGHT thing to do. AND didnt I just say both Andy and the Chiefs are in a financial position to do it.

The man hasn't been convicted of anything in this case.

So you think he is innocent of all pending charges?

God your posts are dumb.

True, but he has been indicted and while he is "presumed innocent" from the facts available ( police report, BAC) a reasonable person can make the presumption that a crime was committed ( DWI) that resulted in severe bodily injury to a young girl and that he was likely responsible...I'll let a jury decide if it is proven beyond a reasonable doubt but the evidence seems pretty strong.

True, but he has been indicted and while he is "presumed innocent" from the facts available ( police report, BAC) a reasonable person can make the presumption that a crime was committed ( DWI) that resulted in severe bodily injury to a young girl and that he was likely responsible...I'll let a jury decide if it is proven beyond a reasonable doubt but the evidence seems pretty strong.
I was a responding to people who wanted to know why he was able to drive and/or walk, and who were basing political comments on his current status. I must have hit something by mistake, because the quotes disappeared. So my apologies for that having happened. I'll leave it "as is", though, so that your post isn't impacted by that.

I was a responding to people who wanted to know why he was able to drive and/or walk, and who were basing political comments on his current status. I must have hit something by mistake, because the quotes disappeared. So my apologies for that having happened. I'll leave it "as is", though, so that your post isn't impacted by that.

I am curious of why he is still allowed to drive. Is that the norm in these cases? The judge obviously has some discretion because he ordered that Britt now has to blow into some kind of breathalyzer to drive but how much authority does the judge have? Could he have revoked his driving privileges pre conviction?

Serious questions. I know that you are good in this arena. Curious of what you think.

I heard there is some total ******** in Missouri or that particular county where there’s some precedent for throwing out DUI results based on some technicality about the breathalyzer test. Basically a get out of jail free card if you hire a really expensive legal team. Could be wrong but I read something about that when this happened.

Hopefully they were only talking about cases where the BAL was under the legal limit two hours later, and not being able to prove with certainty it had been over the limit at time of incident.

Everyone, no matter if they’re literally caught on video tape, deserves to be presumed innocent and see their day in court with the best legal representation available. And I am also a firm believer in rehabilitate over retribution. Reid is no exception.

The problem is that I have very little faith that the scales won’t be tipped in his favor here. I am not a fan of cash bail. I think you should be indefinitely remanded if it can be convincingly argued that you are a danger to others and thus must be locked up for the common good. Otherwise you’re released for free until your court date because you have not yet been convicted of anything. Cash shouldn’t be an obstacle to this. You aren’t less of a menace to society because you can afford the 50k bail to get out. You’re either an immediate threat or you’re not and like 95% of the time you’re not. So I’m not mad he’s out on bail because I don’t think he is currently a danger to others. In theory. Because he is a danger while driving. So I am extremely mad that he’s allowed to drive a vehicle. That I find reprehensible. You don’t have a right to drive a car like you do to have your day in court in a timely manner, it’s a privilege that can and should be taken away if necessary even if guilt is not yet determined. So the fact that he’s back on the road makes me feel very pessimistic over this not ending in a bag job.

Last edited:
Lenient system will rule again. The same lenient system that far too often aligns with the loud voices these days who supposedly oppose it..

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back