PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Up and Downs: Indianapolis Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
UPs:

OL: The offensive line was freaking incredible. They just beat up on the front seven, eight, and even nine at times of the Colts. They were opening big gaps for Jonas Gray to run through, almost resulting in a 200+ yard day for the young back (damn Bill). They were the aggressors all night and, though Brady did take some hits in the passing game, you live with it on a night when the running game was almost flawless. Can't commend the coaching staff enough for fixing things up front and saving the season.

Jonas Gray: A career night in the young man's early football life. Four touchdowns, his first four in the league. He was unstoppable all night long, NEVER going down on the first contact. In fact, most of his yards were likely after first contact. He showed decisiveness and is a one-cut, downhill runner. He fought for extra yards and showed great power in finishing runs. Collinsworth commented that he thought the DB's were tired of hitting the back. I agree.

Julian Edelman: The receiver had a very important game in that converted some key third downs early in the game to help NE gain momentum and separation from the Colts. He then shows up later in the game on that amazing Gronkowski touchdown rumble with that crushing block on the very DB that intercepted Brady twice.

Darelle Revis: Revis negated Reggie Wayne, which helped the rest of the NE defensive backs to limit the rest of the receivers, including TY Hilton. Hilton did catch a 46-yarder with Revis the closest in coverage at the time (so it gets attributed to him perhaps unfairly). Hilton finishes with two catches for 51 yards (only five more). He was outstanding in run support and helped McCourty catch his second INT of the season in back-to-back plays. Frankly, if NE doesn't find a way to pay this man, then I just don't know.

The Front Seven: Man, they just shut down the run. Look, Trent Richardson sucks anyway, but that was still a brilliant performance by a front seven that seems to be getting better at stopping the run with each passing week. Wilfork is winning less with just brute strength and more with savvy and craftiness along the line. He picks his time when to be a wrecking ball and when to let the play come to him. I wonder how they approach contract talks with him this offseason. He's not nearly done as some had feared coming off that injury.

Honorable mention: Jamie Collins, Rob Ninkovich, D. Hightower.

DOWNs:

Tom Brady: Look, you're nitpicking every time you have to pick downs after a win, but Brady's first half was forgettable. Two interceptions, both on passes he just kind of threw up for grabs. He was being pressured on both plays, most notably on the second one, but you expect a legendary QB having an MVP season to know better. He did bounce back beautifully in the second half, but I needed some downs. Sue me.

Brandon Browner: Tough night one game after being a hero. I think he allowed every pass thrown his way to be completed and threw in some penalties for good measure, though one or two were of the ticky-tack variety. He is what he is - feast or famine. He'll give you good plays and you'll have to learn to live with the bad ones. He doesn't have good lateral quickness and can't flip his hips as fluidly as smaller, quicker guys. So if he misses the game or the receiver makes a good move to get free, both of which are things we saw tonight, then he's toasted. He had a rough outing tonight.

Special Teams: It was just a shaky game overall for the ST's units. Amendola had several questionable decisions, fielding one put inside the five and doing something equally stupid on a kickoff, though I can't remember exactly what it was for some reason. There were penalties on two or three punt returns. It was an overall sloppy game on ST's.

Kyle Arrington: Terrible first half. He gave up some big plays early on but seemed to settle down later on in the game.

UP: Dominique Easley.

Got really good pressure and forced a few passes early. Probably his best game penetration wise.

DOWN: Brian Tyms

Dropped the first pass of the game from Brady. Wouldn't have caught the first INT that was bombed out to him. I know it's only 2 plays, but you gotta make the most of them and build rapport with Brady if you want him to keep looking your way.

I'd specifically mention as up's the following:

1. Cameron Fleming. He was doing nicely in a versatile role before getting hurt, and he was a monster yesterday.

2. Hightower and Collins. Both very active, and making play after play. Really solid play from both guys.

Collins and Hightower looked horrible the first game after Mayo's injury, which was a Thursday Night game with 3.5 days to prepare for a hated division rival...half this board went apesh!t with all kinds of mocking slurs and derogatory insults toward both of them. The Pats WON that game BTW...and ten days later, they won in convincing fashion as Hightower and Collins both played very well.

The defense as a whole has been an UP the past 5 games. I realize the persnickety stats whores need their quota of sacks and fantasy points but what the hell is this becoming anyway? A Patriots fan site or "I'm a genius fantasy geek and it's all bad if I don't get the stats I want!!!"....?

Collins and Hightower looked horrible the first game after Mayo's injury, which was a Thursday Night game with 3.5 days to prepare for a hated division rival...half this board went apesh!t with all kinds of mocking slurs and derogatory insults toward both of them. The Pats WON that game BTW...and ten days later, they won in convincing fashion as Hightower and Collins both played very well.

The defense as a whole has been an UP the past 5 games. I realize the persnickety stats whores need their quota of sacks and fantasy points but what the hell is this becoming anyway? A Patriots fan site or "I'm a genius fantasy geek and it's all bad if I don't get the stats I want!!!"....?

Over the past 3 games:

- 3rd down conversions allowed: 12/35
- 4th down conversions allowed: 2/10

The defense is getting off the field.

TOP in their House... Pats 34:21 Colts 25:39
Red Zone Efficiency.. Pats 5/5
Goal to go Efficiency... Pats 5/5

Colts 19 yards rushing...

Holding them to several 3 and outs in their house priceless...

Another nice reminder that all of those "top n" summary stats are only as descriptive as the opponents and situations you encounter when you are compiling them.

Arrington down?

He was mostly on Hilton, whose statline was
7 targets
3 rec
24 yards
With a long of 13

By far Hilton's worst game of the year.

Just not sure you can put him in the down column.

TOP in their House... Pats 34:21 Colts 25:39

I also liked how Colts had only allowed 8 3rd down conversions at home coming in and Pats had 9

UP:

- Tackling across the board. A ton of completed catches stopped well short of the first-down marker.

- James Develin. Plenty of credit to go around in the running game, and he deserves his fair share.

DOWN:

- Gostkowski. Didn't make a single field goal, the bum! (Whoops, sorry, make that "UP: Red-zone offense.")

I appreciate all the feedback. You're venturing into nitpicky whenever you have to list downs in a convincing win. Arrington had a bad first half in my view and that's all I was basing it on really. I only had the first two downs for a while and just kind of threw Arrington in there, so I'll take a five yard false start. The only thing that I will say in my defense is that he wasn't matched up one-on-one with Hilton. He definitely was receiving plenty of help, as the Pats were leaving Revis on his island and at least attempted to do the same with Browner, but he kept giving up plays.

UP:

- Tackling across the board. A ton of completed catches stopped well short of the first-down marker.

- James Develin. Plenty of credit to go around in the running game, and he deserves his fair share.

DOWN:

- Gostkowski. Didn't make a single field goal, the bum! (Whoops, sorry, make that "UP: Red-zone offense.")
The tackling was superb, especially the secondary guys coming up in run support. You're right that receivers were being dropped quickly too. This is by far the best secondary BB has ever had. Collins and Hightower are beginning to get it. And Wilfork looks young out there. The tackling has been very good of late.

I just want to offer Nate Solder as an up, not just last night but for the second quarter of the season. Looked to be a weak link in our poor stretch to start the season but has been tremendous since. Has he given up much pressure in the good stretch?

I just want to offer Nate Solder as an up, not just last night but for the second quarter of the season. Looked to be a weak link in our poor stretch to start the season but has been tremendous since. Has he given up much pressure in the good stretch?
Isn't it amazing how he and the whole O-Line just flipped it on like a light switch? He looked absolutely terrible the first quarter of the season. Now, his name is barely mentioned and for an offensive lineman, much like a DB, that's a good thing.

How is Arrington a down? He was on Hilton man-to-man much of the game!!!!
Respect, but this is wrong. He was not man-to-man for most of the game. He received plenty of help and bracket coverage. This was the adjustment when BB put Revis on Wayne exclusively.

These are Mike Reiss’s Up and Down:

Up

Kyle Arrington -- We didn't hear much from Colts wide receiver T.Y. Hilton and Arrington was one reason why.

Jamie Collins/Dont'a Hightower -- Linebackers have quietly assumed key roles after Jerod Mayo's season-ending injury and are keeping the unit together from a communication standpoint but also with a high level of play.

Dan Connolly -- Left guard caught the eye with a solid block on a third-down conversion in the second quarter. He represents the overall offensive line in this category, as the unit steamrolled the Colts.

Cameron Fleming -- With a focus on getting the running game going, the rookie offensive tackle came on as a sixth blocker 37 times and helped open holes.

Jonas Gray -- Running back had a big night on the national stage (38 carries, 199 yards), showing that he's capable of handling duties as the team's power back.

Darrelle Revis/Devin McCourty -- While they might have been involved in a communication breakdown that led to a big pass play in the first quarter, they teamed up for a second-quarter interception as Revis had the tight coverage for the deflection and McCourty gathered it in.

Vince Wilfork/Alan Branch -- Big defensive tackles helped control the line of scrimmage when the Patriots were lighter in the box, making the Colts one-dimensional.

Down

Tom Brady -- Quarterback threw two interceptions in the first half, with the second coming late in the second quarter that registers as one of the poorer decisions of his career as he appeared to check out of a third-and-1 running play.

Rob Ninkovich -- Defensive end picked up two penalties -- for hands to the face and grasping the facemask -- which is out of character.

Brian Tyms -- It wasn't an easy catch, but the receiver started and couldn't corral a Brady laser in his direction over the middle.

Respect, but this is wrong. He was not man-to-man for most of the game. He received plenty of help and bracket coverage. This was the adjustment when BB put Revis on Wayne exclusively.

Just because someone gets bracketed doesn't mean he isn't man to man. Of course there was going to be over the tip help...even Revis had some on the odd occasion.

There were also plenty of examples where Arrington was left on Hilton alone...and he did superbly on every occasion.

There is zero reason Arrington should be on the 'down' column at all.

Amendola fielding the ball at the five was a decision based on how fast the ball gets to him, and communication from his teammates. Remember, he is looking up the whole time. The reason Amendola got hit was because the gunner went completely unblocked by Malcolm Butler. The punt returner is defenseless back there unless his teammates buy him a couple of seconds to catch the ball and get underway on his return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes