PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unsung Heroes: The ILB's

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Our run defense was supposed to be terrible, surely not enough to stop the #1 team in the NFL. The DT's that everybody complains about were back: Guy and Butler.
The ILBS were Jennings and Hall!

Either BALT didn't notice our gross weakness, or these guys played pretty well.

Lazar attributes the improved performance to having the best group of athletes at these positions on the field leading to more speed in the middle that can quickly swarm the ball carrier.

Guy is one of the most important players on the team. Top graded the last couple years like JC. Jennings played well. The D is starting to slowly come together. I didn't see any major mistakes from Dugger.

Keep Brooks and Calhoun off the field, they are terrible.

I only noticed Hall on a few plays, but he made an impression for sure. Very interested in seeing him play over Bentley at this point.

Also, Guy and Davis were huge in this game. With Davis in there, the Pats run D has suddenly looked a lot better. Coincidence? Maybe...maybe not.

I think Hall showed some aggressiveness that Bentley hasn't showed yet. I think he made some mistakes against the pass, but that is to be expected from a young player. I liked what I saw against the run though. Dugger looks like a keeper and Uche flashed last night.
With Guy and Butler back, it really made a difference. I still think we need another big body but I liked what I saw from Davis as well. Jennings I didn't notice that much, which isn't a terrible thing I guess.

Exciting night for the defense. I hope they're coming together. I've always been a fan of Guy and Butler. They're solid players and I think good locker room guys. They play hard and smart usually. Terez Hall and Uche looked good from what I can tell. Hopefully Jennings continues to improve too. Nice seeing Dugger back. He can be really good if he stays healthy. Davis is a nice addition too, big body there 6'5 320, hope he stays healthy as well. I definitely wouldn't rush J. Bentley back and as someone mentioned, we really didn't miss Brooks or Calhoun.

Our run defense was supposed to be terrible, surely not enough to stop the #1 team in the NFL. The DT's that everybody complains about were back: Guy and Butler.
The ILBS were Jennings and Hall!

Either BALT didn't notice our gross weakness, or these guys played pretty well.
They played pretty well last night but run D was a serious liability during the losing streak. Having Bentley and Brooks in as primary backers was a disaster. Hall is faster and has more discipline than Bentley so there is an upgrade right there. I'd be very surprised and not at all happy to see Bentley starting over Hall when Bentley comes back from injury.

There are people who complain about Guy and Butler ?

People around here complain about winning. Some of those miserable SOBs will complain about anything.

Definite ****posting.

Things that nobody is writing about Terez Hall today:

Patrick Queen was used and abused. On the flea flicker to Rex Burkhead, judging from Queen’s “ball skills” on the play, you’d think he never covered an RB out of the backfield. The gadget play’s design probably had Queen deficiencies in coverage in mind. Queen may have contributed 9 tackles, only one of which was impactful. Most of the evening he was out of position, getting blown out of position or simply unable to disengage from blocks. Once Patriots ball carriers got beyond the line of scrimmage Queen looked like Rodney the Robot from Lost in Space calling out Will Robinson. By the 13:17 mark of the third quarter after a four play, 75-yard TD drive, the Patriots were averaging 6.2 yards per carry and a lot of that was on Queen, as was Damien Harris’ career high 121 yards…Malik Harrison wasn’t any better. He looked stiff and slow and it was no surprise that his night ended on the bench. If L.J. Fort was available, Queen may have joined Harrison.

Not having JaWrong Bentley & Chete Copeland on the field is addition by subtraction.

However, before we fit Terez Hall for a red jacket, two points:

He had a chance to make a then-critical 3rd-down stop inside his own 10 near the end of the first quarter, but failed...

Then, in a gutless display of poor sportsmanship, he aims for and wrecks TE Nick Boyle's left knee...If that had been a defender of another team and the TE was Gronkowski, we would've been screaming bloody murder - and justifiably so...

Last edited:
That was a short career in NE. I thought Hall played well against the run and brought good energy and was tough. Not so much against the pass though.

Lol at Terez Hall. It's already been shown he gave up 9 targets for 9 receptions for 112 yards or something like that. Hall is horrible.

Simon is also horrible and ranks as one of the worst at his position in the NFL (not sure if they consider him a DE or LB). Gave up the edge for a TD early and is always non existent with the pass rush. Reminds me of '08 Vrabel.

I've always felt Wino is a better fit as an off the line LB as opposed to an Edge defender.

A couple of weeks ago I posted the uncanny side by side comparison of combine times of Wino and Mayo.

Wino is too good of an athlete to play on the edge all the time.

Seemed really in his element Sunday. Flying around and being disruptive.

I've always felt Wino is a better fit as an off the line LB as opposed to an Edge defender.

A couple of weeks ago I posted the uncanny side by side comparison of combine times of Wino and Mayo.

Wino is too good of an athlete to play on the edge all the time.

Seemed really in his element Sunday. Flying around and being disruptive.
Agree...and i want also Uche and Jennings on the field...fast and speed...

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back