PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law has to be the answer, I mean right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoLewisrocks said:
BB didn't spend 4 hours of his valuable time talking to a washed up player either. He and Ty never had THAT kind of relationship. If the money can be worked out and BB is comfortable with his rehab and his willingness to perhaps evolve into a safety down the road, I guarantee you BB would love to have the player back. He has lots of young talent in the secondary. He needs veteran leadership. Rodney is THE leader if he's back. But having players he dosn't have to mentor and think for to also play along side him just makes Rodney's life easier too.

He played a little safety before and wasn't good at it.

We have 7 or 8 safeties signed now. No room for him. Especially at the money he wants.

There's also the possibility that the Pats are seeing development in our youngsters in the secondary we don't see. Maybe Geno's 2005 was less inexplicable than we think (more injury news BB isn't too free about?) Maybe they see Asante's improvement as a linear - or better, geometric - progression, whereas we see it an an incremental bump and maybe a fluke? Maybe they see Hobbs' handling of his job in his rookie season as a sign of a really positive 06. Who knows. Of course, "who knows" is no fun... speculating on a big FA acquisition, now that's fun. And yeah, it's unlike BB/SP to count on anything that's not proven yet. Still, if he sees the secondary as a lesser risk area than we do, it would explain this draft easily as well as a major acquisition in the offing.

That said, we do have FA left, the 6/1 cuts, training camp... yes, now we know pretty much what we got in the draft (you cannot count on rounds 6 and 7... fun to hope and wish, but they're just too iffy.) But no, we're nowhere near September yet. I'll be following the twists and turns too... with my handy pitcher of kool-aid by my side ;)

PFnV

i meant threw 2 more*

shmessy said:
Mcbee wrote:

My questions is: How many of those 6 willingly play ILB? We're gonna need at least 3 and possibly 4.

Oh, they'll all play it willingly. The question is, how many play it effectively.

PFnV

Triumph said:
Ask Brady and Belichick what it says. After Law took a Brady pass to the house for 6 the Pats rarely threw to Laws side of the field. That is effective play at CB by Law.

Law comes back from a serious injury not in the best shape and lead the NFL in INTS. Futhermore, the Jets had the 2nd ranked pass defense in the NFL last season per Football Outsiders. Law played a huge roll in that.

Law is not washed up by any stretch.

It gets me that everyone mentions Law'sINT's without mentioning his PI penalties. He had 14. 9 called, 5 declined. To me, it indicates he was playing balls-to-the-wall all season to make stats and enhance his contract chances this yr. as he knew he wasn't staying with the Jets. He can play smarter, although he has made statements, ever since the rule changes, that he wouldn't change his game. IMO, he won't be a Patriot unless BB thinks he will tone it down some. An aging DB who is penalty prone is a liability.

spacecrime said:
This is not correct.

You are mistaken.

Without looking back at NFL.Com I say that Brady threw 5 or less passes to Laws side of the field post INT.

jczxohn1 said:
It gets me that everyone mentions Law'sINT's without mentioning his PI penalties. He had 14. 9 called, 5 declined. To me, it indicates he was playing balls-to-the-wall all season to make stats and enhance his contract chances this yr. as he knew he wasn't staying with the Jets. He can play smarter, although he has made statements, ever since the rule changes, that he wouldn't change his game. IMO, he won't be a Patriot unless BB thinks he will tone it down some. An aging DB who is penalty prone is a liability.

Last season was one in which you wouldn't want Ty Law - although he might have actually helped here incredibly. This year is different. If his rehab is going well he should be in better physical condition. Playing in a defense he is intimately familiar with and for a coach who always knew how to (and that he had to) work with Law's talent to prove there were two ways to do the same job and his way worked just as well for a ballhawking player and better for the team. How quickly we forget he played for this team for 10 years, several of which BB was his DC or HC and one who retained him even at prohibitive cap cost through 2004.

And BB always projected Law as a player who could add highly productive years to his career as a safety. Law didn't want to hear that kind of talk two years ago, may not really want to hear it even now, but I think he's a lot more amenable to down the road talk after two years on the FA cattle market as a CB.

I guarantee you both the core players and coaches on this team would welcome Ty back - if the price is reasonable. And that is not veteran minimum, either - just something likely 30-40% less than what he's publicly posturing for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST