PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two questions for a slow Saturday (5/9):

Status
Not open for further replies.

You have to go back 18 years to 2002 for the last time the Pats won less than 10 games. They've won 11+ the last 10 straight years, 12+ in all but one of those years. Now 9 wins is somehow good??? 9 or less wins is a failure for as long as Brady is still in the league...

Now 9 wins is somehow good??? 9 or less wins is a failure for as long as Brady is still in the league...
9 wins is good when there are many who see them as a 6-10 or 7-9 type of team. Unfortunately, Tom Brady is no longer connected to the organization and it had to have been somewhat by design, so there’s no use even bringing him up at this point.
That era is over, and we’re looking forward to seeing how the rebuild goes over the next couple of seasons.

Ranking Stidham among the 32 is as pointless as predicting individual wins and losses based on a released schedule. In both cases there is close to zero relevant information to go on.

Lets circle back to that after the season is done.

1. The Pats and Brady should have been able to come up with a way for him to finish his career here. I'd rather see that than the possibility of more wins.
2. It's too early to judge Stidham.

1. The Pats and Brady should have been able to come up with a way for him to finish his career here. I'd rather see that than the possibility of more wins.
2. It's too early to judge Stidham.
Neither the team or the player appear to have cared about him finishing his career here.

As this offseason unfolds, I keep going back to just before halftime of the Miami game. The Patriots get the ball back with a bye on the line, good weather, a minute and half to go, decent field position, and timeouts in their pocket. And, Bill Belichick had his offense, lead by his 42 year old HOF QB, sit on the ball and run out the clock.

Compare that to Belichick’s decision to let his then 24 year old QB go for the win with no timeouts and a Super Bowl on the line, and it stands out even more. It was so unusual. The Patriots never sit on the ball in those situations. It’s always pedal to the metal. But not that day.

Actions speak louder than words and Belichick nor anyone connected with the Pats will ever talk about it. But, sitting on the ball in that situation says volumes about what Bill Belichick thought of the quality of Tom Brady’s play in that game . It was a stinging indictment of how Bill thought Tom was playing.

I don’t believe Belichick wanted Brady back this season anymore than Brady wanted to be back. It wasn’t personal but based on Brady’s declining play. And, I think Brady’s play convinced Bob Kraft to not intercede as he probably emotionally wanted to do.

Rewatching some games from last season and going over other games in my head. Especially the Chiefs and Titans games I was fortunate enough to attend. I can’t say I disagree with that assessment.

If the Pats coaches can get Jarrett Stidham over whatever setbacks that inevitably will occur with his confidence intact, the Patriots will be get better QB play in 2020 than they got in 2019.

That’s not a slur against Brady. 42 years old is still 42 years old. Your body can’t withstand the hits, small injuries linger and multiple, you can’t practice regularly, and the quality of your play declines. That’s what happened here.

Maybe, he turns it around in Tampa with Gronk and other more established players. I’m rooting for him to succeed. But, I wonder how well it comes together there if he can’t practice. And, I worry how quickly those great receivers get open against press man coverage compared to the zones they freely ran through with Jameis Winston at QB. All the while, pass rushers tee off on their 43 year old never mobile QB.

2.) Which of the 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL would you unquestionably rank above Jarrett Stidham? (With Stidham maxing out his potential based on your belief, not track record).

Patriots are higher on Stidham than Garoppolo.

Based on that his ceiling is pretty much "Tom Brady with wheels". :thaman:

So Stidham maxing out his potential is better than every QB in the NFL :excited:

As this offseason unfolds, I keep going back to just before halftime of the Miami game. The Patriots get the ball back with a bye on the line, good weather, a minute and half to go, decent field position, and timeouts in their pocket. And, Bill Belichick had his offense, lead by his 42 year old HOF QB, sit on the ball and run out the clock.

Compare that to Belichick’s decision to let his then 24 year old QB go for the win with no timeouts and a Super Bowl on the line, and it stands out even more. It was so unusual. The Patriots never sit on the ball in those situations. It’s always pedal to the metal. But not that day.

Actions speak louder than words and Belichick nor anyone connected with the Pats will ever talk about it. But, sitting on the ball in that situation says volumes about what Bill Belichick thought of the quality of Tom Brady’s play in that game . It was a stinging indictment of how Bill thought Tom was playing.

I don’t believe Belichick wanted Brady back this season anymore than Brady wanted to be back. It wasn’t personal but based on Brady’s declining play. And, I think Brady’s play convinced Bob Kraft to not intercede as he probably emotionally wanted to do.

Rewatching some games from last season and going over other games in my head. Especially the Chiefs and Titans games I was fortunate enough to attend. I can’t say I disagree with that assessment.

If the Pats coaches can get Jarrett Stidham over whatever setbacks that inevitably will occur with his confidence intact, the Patriots will be get better QB play in 2020 than they got in 2019.

That’s not a slur against Brady. 42 years old is still 42 years old. Your body can’t withstand the hits, small injuries linger and multiple, you can’t practice regularly, and the quality of your play declines. That’s what happened here.

Maybe, he turns it around in Tampa with Gronk and other more established players. I’m rooting for him to succeed. But, I wonder how well it comes together there if he can’t practice. And, I worry how quickly those great receivers get open against press man coverage compared to the zones they freely ran through with Jameis Winston at QB. All the while, pass rushers tee off on their 43 year old never mobile QB.

Couldn't agree more. The way the half ended vs the Dolphins told me all I needed to know about what Bill really thought of the offense and it wasn’t flattering.

Id even go back to 2018 after the Steelers game when the Patriots morphed into a power run team. There was a good reason why they did that.

Neither the team or the player appear to have cared about him finishing his career here.

We can only guess, but mine is that Brady would have liked to stay more than Belichick wanted him to stay.

You have to go back 18 years to 2002 for the last time the Pats won less than 10 games. They've won 11+ the last 10 straight years, 12+ in all but one of those years. Now 9 wins is somehow good??? 9 or less wins is a failure for as long as Brady is still in the league...

The 2020 Patriots are not a win-now team so 9 wins absolutely will not be a failure. Brady is no longer a Patriot and therefore couldn’t be more irrelevant to how the Patriots are doing going forward. The team was absolutely not a Super Bowl contender this year with or without Brady.

But 9 wins and a playoff spot with Stidham looking like he belongs in this league as a starting QB is nothing less than a complete success of a season.

Last edited:
We can only guess, but mine is that Brady would have liked to stay more than Belichick wanted him to stay.

Brady wanting a multi year commitment and BB declining last offseason would support that argument.

Patriots are higher on Stidham than Garoppolo.

Based on that his ceiling is pretty much "Tom Brady with wheels". :thaman:

So Stidham maxing out his potential is better than every QB in the NFL :excited:

Lol. JG is a decent QB but will never be close to Tom Brady's league. Lmfao

With Tom we were 12-4 against a joke of a schedule so probably 10-6 this year. I’m guessing 9-7 with Stidham

I would add Prescott, cousins, jg to the list that are better right now than Stidham.

Brady chose to leave.
My impression is that Belichick sees the end is near, and even if he’s got good football left in him, you aren’t winning a Sb with 43 year old Tom Brady. Couldn’t come close with a generational defense when he was 42. So moving on now or soon is the choice but out of respect for Brady he would have taken him back and let him play in Foxboro til he can’t get it done but Brady chose to bolt.

With Tom we were 12-4 against a joke of a schedule so probably 10-6 this year. I’m guessing 9-7 with Stidham

I would add Prescott, cousins, jg to the list that are better right now than Stidham.
I keep hearing this but which of the 12 wins would have been losses even with mediocre QB play, and the schedule is basically one easy game replaced by a hard game.

I keep hearing this but which of the 12 wins would have been losses even with mediocre QB play, and the schedule is basically one easy game replaced by a hard game.

Instead of guessing our projected record, let's place over/under bets for how many UDFA WRs outplay our 1st rd bust from last year. Meyers, as mediocre as he is, was the better player from Day 1 in camp last year, so that's one. We'll set the O/U at 2.5 this year (Including Meyers).

Seattle and sf are considerably tougher games than any given nfce games last year. I’d peg those as probable losses based on how we performed against good teams last year.

Brady chose to leave.
My impression is that Belichick sees the end is near, and even if he’s got good football left in him, you aren’t winning a Sb with 43 year old Tom Brady. Couldn’t come close with a generational defense when he was 42. So moving on now or soon is the choice but out of respect for Brady he would have taken him back and let him play in Foxboro til he can’t get it done but Brady chose to bolt.

No matter what happened in the past and what happens in the future, it won't change my personal feeling that Brady should have finished his career here. I'm sure 49er fans felt the same way about Montana leaving SF and he wasn't as successful as Brady.

No matter what happened in the past and what happens in the future, it won't change my personal feeling that Brady should have finished his career here. I'm sure 49er fans felt the same way about Montana leaving SF and he wasn't as successful as Brady.
It would have been nice but I don’t think it’s that important. I’ll put it this way if we were to have a better chance to win without him and he still wanted to play, I would want him to play elsewhere. There is an age where that is the case, but we don’t know yet if that age is 43.

Seattle and sf are considerably tougher games than any given nfce games last year. I’d peg those as probable losses based on how we performed against good teams last year.
I think you overate Seattle I don’t see them as much different than philly.
The afc games are easier with Pitt Cleveland Cincinnati replaced by 3 losers, Denver lv and SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back