PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two OT Q's: record for most OT games in a week? should NFL do away with ties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinhWoodhead

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1. What's the record for overtime games in a week?

2. Should they do away with ties, if so, how?

Thanks

1. What's the record for overtime games in a week?

2. Should they do away with ties, if so, how?

Thanks

if neither team can win after 5 quarters with the last in sudden death there deserves to be a tie.

Ties are fun. Keep them.

ties are for the other "football" sport. even hockey got rid of it.

Ties have no place in sports. There are winners and there are losers.

Ties makes sense in soccer, since it could go on for a really really long time. Football, however it is much easier to score and hence why there have been so few ties over the years. So yes, the NFL should get rid of it.

Ties makes sense in soccer, since it could go on for a really really long time. Football, however it is much easier to score and hence why there have been so few ties over the years. So yes, the NFL should get rid of it.

What I don't understand, I know all soccer rules aren't the same so bare with me. But, in the world cup they didn't start out by playing sudden death and both teams scored and the game still ended in a tie...like what the :confused: One of the main reasons I hate soccer lol way tooo many ties. No offense to anyone who likes soccer though.

The problem with ties in football is it's an extremely physically demanding sport. And not like soccer, which is demanding from a stamina perspective. Football has a greatly increased chance of injury, especially as players get tired and sloppy.

What happens if you end up in a windy, rainy/snowy game in Foxboro in December. Kickers can't hit a FG of more than 30 yards and players can't keep their footing. Do you want Brady and company playing two or three extra quarters (almost a full extra game), just to avoid the stigma of a tie?

In the playoffs you have to, because someone has to move on. In the regular season, suck it up fans, no one OWES you a winner.

What I don't understand, I know all soccer rules aren't the same so bare with me. But, in the world cup they didn't start out by playing sudden death and both teams scored and the game still ended in a tie...like what the :confused: One of the main reasons I hate soccer lol way tooo many ties. No offense to anyone who likes soccer though.

Not sure why you think they play differently. All soccer is essentially the same. One of two options. League & Pool play rules (winner not required) or tournament play (winner reqd: OT followed by penalty shoot-out).

WC plays Pool-play round 1 (multiple games) followed by tournament round 2 through the final.

Leagues are essentially doing pool play on a larger scale so there is no need for winners until the tournament/playoff rounds.

Tournaments that are not played on a neutral-site are generally played in an away-home format (2 games same teams). League championships generally fall in this group, ie not at neutral sites (WC or EC are at neutral sites). First game of this format can tie; second one cannot result in an overall tie (when you aggragate the 2 games). So better team gets the 2nd game at home as that is an advantage (to know what you need to avoid OT or a loss).

FOR WCs/ECs:
In the first round or POOL PLAY round; you play everyone in your bracket ONCE and there does not have to be a winner. For the standings in bracket you get 3pts/win & 1 pt/tie. Overall pts is 1st tie-breaker, then goes to H-H & Goal differential, etc etc.

So, in that round, SYSTEMICALLY, they dont NEED to have teams play only for a win-loss and wear guys out - get folks hurt needlessly. Over the course of 3-5 games (however big the bracket is 4-6 teams); it will sort itself out and tie-breakers will work.

They only play OT and penalty shoot-outs when it is SYSTEMICALLY REQUIRED. i.e. in a 'single elimination round' when You are only playing ONE GAME and you have to have a SINGLE WINNER.

{GOD I explained all that and I THINK soccer is WATCHING PAINT DRY half the time.}

By the nature of football (US) we more generally need a single-elimination winner because you dont play that many games for the law of averages to bring the best teams to the top. Also JUST by the nature of the possibility of a larger # of points being scored 2/3/7 vs 1 at each opportunity; the chances of a tie are naturally much smaller.

SO, at the end of the day the chances of ties are so much smaller by nature in NFL that I don't mind if we have a few.

the absolute WORST THING anyone could do to football {IMHO} would be to institute something horrible like the soccer/hockey penalty shootout. The college system of spot the ball on the 10/20/wherever for each team is NOT PREFERABLE. Play a couple of ties through the course of an 16 {edit} game season and it adds some weird permutations to the playoff seedings calculations that makes all the boards jump with guys trying to figure it out.

current rules are good. eliminates most injustices.

Last edited:
The problem with ties in football is it's an extremely physically demanding sport. And not like soccer, which is demanding from a stamina perspective. Football has a greatly increased chance of injury, especially as players get tired and sloppy.

What happens if you end up in a windy, rainy/snowy game in Foxboro in December. Kickers can't hit a FG of more than 30 yards and players can't keep their footing. Do you want Brady and company playing two or three extra quarters (almost a full extra game), just to avoid the stigma of a tie?

I just think ties looks stupid in the standings.

Here's what I think they should do if after 5 quarters and its still tied, implement the college rules and let both teams start at the 30yd(?) line.

Maybe they should do a shoot out style like soccer?

Have each kicker attempt 5 field goals of varying distances?

I just think ties looks stupid in the standings.

Which on the list of valid reasons to make a rule change is pretty low.

Here's what I think they should do if after 5 quarters and its still tied, implement the college rules and let both teams start at the 30yd(?) line.

How will that help in the conditions I listed above? Starting at the 30 instead of the 20 (or perhaps more if there's a decent return) is going to make a drastic difference?

In the playoffs you have to, because someone has to move on. In the regular season, suck it up fans, no one OWES you a winner.

Yes. How often do games even end in ties and when was the last time a playoff game went to double OT 2001? And has a triple OT game even happened? Eventually they will get tired and something big will happen. I guess we just won't agree here. Double OT and Triple OT? Bring it on.

How will that help in the conditions I listed above? Starting at the 30 instead of the 20 (or perhaps more if there's a decent return) is going to make a drastic difference?

I meant start at the 30yd line of the opposing team's field but use only one end of the field like the college format.

I meant start at the 30yd line of the opposing team's field but use only one end of the field like the college format.

My apologies, I didn't know that that's what they actually did in college. I'm against it, because unlike college you don't get playoff seedings based on style points and a poll. A gimmicky OT like that could impact standings in a more direct way in the NFL.

To be clear, I'm also against shootouts in hockey. Using one aspect of a sport to decide an inherently more complex game always sits worse for me that a tie ever could.

My apologies, I didn't know that that's what they actually did in college. I'm against it, because unlike college you don't get playoff seedings based on style points and a poll. A gimmicky OT like that could impact standings in a more direct way in the NFL.

Its no worse than the old NFL OT rules: whoever won the coin toss usually win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes