PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Easy Predictions For Actions By March 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The patriots will not pay the bonuses to Branch or Bennett.

No other action has to be taken. However, since there is no chance of the team signing a new contract before March 14, we will save $3.5M on Branch. I also presume that whether we extend Bennett or not, the bonus won't be paid and that his 2018 cap will be down by at least $2M.

BOTTOM LINE
Cap money available will be up by at least $5.5M.
========
YES, THERE COULD BE MORE
Many here have their candidates they want to cut, but there is no need to take any other actions before March 14, other than to re-sign players.

Add David Harris to that list of early cuts. No reason to keep him.

And release McClellin whenever practicable.

He's so low agaisnt the cap I'd say let's see if he can redeem himself but don't let it stop you from adding talent there anyway possible.

$2.1 against the cap isn't much but it's not negligible in a year where they need all the room they can find. He may well end up being a late cap casualty

Another prediction: extend Brady and lower his 2018 cap number

(numbers are my best recollection-may be off)
1.What a disappointment for the sure cut of Branch. I think people significantly underestimate the effect on the D that Allen's drop off caused. Savings of 3m

2. I'll bet the mortgage that Bennett isn't resigned. At best I'd see him as a Ricky Jean type mid season addition if he wants to play. Savings of 6m

3.Shea being cut is complicated. I think the savings is 70 cents on the dollar. If he stays healthy the cost vs dead money may make him a better value to keep. I suspect he stays, no savings.

4. What's the status of Solder? If he retires the Patriots save something in the area of 6,5m. If he stays I believe he is approx. 10m cap hit. Savings - unknown

5, I can;t imagine Allen will stay at the 5m expected for 2018. Looking at a savings of maybe couple of million if reworked or the full 5m if cut. Best guess is a rework and a savings of 2m.

6.Unless Gill is impressing the Patriots in some secret way and Lewis can't be resigned then he's gone. He is gone. Savings of 3m

7. Cook I believe is on the books for 7.5m. What happens now?

8. Harris retired. Savings of 2m (his inability to contribute on the field hurt too)
9. Britt wont be back. savings of 1.5m

I suspect Gronk will be back.
I suspect Solder will be back.
I suspect Cooks stays (whether to finish his deal or on a new deal).

Not counting reworks and smaller dollar cuts, approx. 18m savings. 2018 cap availability is 30m? First and foremost hopefully this space translates to getting much better at LB

1.What a disappointment for the sure cut of Branch. I think people significantly underestimate the effect on the D that Allen's drop off caused. Savings of 3m

2. I'll bet the mortgage that Bennett isn't resigned. At best I'd see him as a Ricky Jean type mid season addition if he wants to play. Savings of 6m

3.Shea being cut is complicated. I think the savings is 70 cents on the dollar. If he stays healthy the cost vs dead money may make him a better value to keep. I suspect he stays, no savings.

4. What's the status of Solder? If he retires the Patriots save something in the area of 6,5m. If he stays I believe he is approx. 10m cap hit. Savings - unknown

5, I can;t imagine Allen will stay at the 5m expected for 2018. Looking at a savings of maybe couple of million if reworked or the full 5m if cut. Best guess is a rework and a savings of 2m.

6.Unless Gill is impressing the Patriots in some secret way and Lewis can't be resigned then he's gone. He is gone. Savings of 3m

8. Harris retired. Savings of 2m (his inability to contribute on the field hurt too)

Not counting reworks and smaller dollar cuts, approx. 18m savings. 2018 cap availability is 30m? First and foremost hopefully this space translates to getting much better at LB

Agree with everything except I'd prioritize a NT over LB. Not by much though.

All of the Pats' personnel decisions, including what to do in the draft, are profoundly affected by the decisions Solder and Gronk will make about whether to return. If neither come back, those two holes become massive priorities, and far fewer resources are available to shore up other positions.

He's so low agaisnt the cap I'd say let's see if he can redeem himself but don't let it stop you from adding talent there anyway possible.

Given McClellin's concussion history, especially this past season, I'm guessing that he retires.

Given McClellin's concussion history, especially this past season, I'm guessing that he retires.
You remember last season he said if we wasn't playing it was news to him and he fully attended to play.
I'd lean to him wanting to continue his career unless more info has Came out.

$2.1 against the cap isn't much but it's not negligible in a year where they need all the room they can find. He may well end up being a late cap casualty

McClellin's 2018 cap hit is actually $2.35M plus the final $833k of his signing bonus (which goes to dead money if he's cut, retires, whatever).

However, once McClellin's salary is off the roster, it bumps up another player into the top 51 that count against the cap from now thru final cutdowns. That player happens to be Croston (who was just bumped down by Bolden's re-signing). Croston's cap hit is $557k, so the net savings from McClellin's departure from the roster would be $2.35M minus $557k, or approximately $1.79M.

I agree on the general principle, though. Unless a cut unnecessarily creates a roster vacancy (e.g., Gillislee), every little bit helps.

You remember last season he said if we wasn't playing it was news to him and he fully attended to play.
I'd lean to him wanting to continue his career unless more info has Came out.

In Chicago, McClellin had at least three concussions (that we know of) that kept him out of action for a game or more. It's now being more widely reported that it was a concussion that cut short his 2017 Camp and put him on IR, and then yet another concussion (or the return of concussion symptoms) during his attempt to come back this past season as the first DtR designee that kept him on IR for the remainder of the season.

Agree with everything except I'd prioritize a NT over LB. Not by much though.
But how much true NT positional play has this team emphasized since Wilfork left? It seems the Patriots really need competent DTs and next to Malcolm Brown things have been tenuous. I mean, I'd be OK if they COULD find a dominant NT, but those types seem really elusive. Suffice to say that whatever combination is decided on the front seven must be improved.

Co
In Chicago, McClellin had at least three concussions (that we know of) that kept him out of action for a game or more. It's now being more widely reported that it was a concussion that cut short his 2017 Camp and put him on IR, and then yet another concussion (or the return of concussion symptoms) during his attempt to come back this past season as the first DtR designee that kept him on IR for the remainder of the season.
Correct but if he is willing to play I don't think BB will turn him down.
BB would be the first to say that's not his job if he is cleared to play at that low cap Shea could be a bargain at that cap.
He played well for us when he did play and at worst is competitor for training camp.

Your recollection is pretty good, for the most part. A little help, though:

McClellin's significant history of concussions seems likely to keep him off the roster, one way or another. Net savings = $1.79M.

Solder is currently UFA, so no savings, only an expense if he re-signs. His 2017 cap hit was just over $11M.

An extension-restructuring of Dwayne Allen could reduce his 2018 cap hit much closer to $2M, saving more like $3M.

Gillislee's 2018 cap hit is $2.18M. That makes him the 23rd-highest-compensated RB in the league. The net savings from cutting him is about $1.6M.

If he's cut now for the sake of cap savings, and the Pats can't afford to compete with the offers that Lewis and Burkhead get and, thus, can't re-sign them, that leaves the Pats with only White and Bolden at RB, and a gaping hole at the position that would need to be filled with RBs who may (or my not) be as effective as Gillislee was in 2017, who may (or may not) be as cheap as Gillislee, who may (or may not) having any NFL experience, and who would need to learn the offense from scratch.

Cooks' 2018 cap hit is $8.459M (his 5th-year option amount).

If the Pats extend him this season, it could reduce his 2018 cap hit by as much as $4.5M. Such an extension now (or before July, at least) might retain him for another 4-5 years at an APY of under $13M. If they wait until he's a free agent in 2019, it may require something in the $15M+ APY range to retain him.

The net cap savings from Harris' retirement was approximately $1.57M.

The net cap savings from cutting Britt would only be about $895k. Somewhat similar to Gillislee, cutting Britt would be cutting a skill position player with extensive NFL experience and at least some experience with the Pats' offensive system - for negligible cap savings.

The cuts/restructurings you propose, including extending Cooks, might increase the the Pats' cap space to around $37M. However, that still leaves Solder, Amendola, Lewis, Burkhead, both backup OT, and Marquis Flowers, plus core special teamers Bademosi, Ebner, Slater, and King unsigned. Re-signing all of them is likely to hit the 2018 cap for about $30M, with Solder getting about 1/3 of that money. Additionally, the Pats may need to come up with as much as $5M to cover the 2018 cap hits of their draft picks and UDFAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes