PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TV Ratings: Pats/Bucs vs Sox/Yanks

Radio?

You know the demographic that listens to radio????

Think about it for a second.

That would answer alot of questions about the preponderance of radio content (particularly, non-sports content).

Keep your politics out of the football forum, Mr/Ms Moderator, thank you.

Why do so many Patriot fans obsess over the Red Sox?? :D

You tell us the team is irrelevant, the sport is irrelevant and yet you can't leave it alone

Pretty funny!

Could it be that you know in your heart of hearts the Patriots status of top dog around here (and in the NFL) ends when TB retires??

Uh huh!!
I think the pissing contest in here is hilarious. I much prefer football to baseball, but I don't feel the need to thump my chest when the Patriots get better ratings than the Red Sox - especially since it is not fair to compare a team which plays once weekly to one that plays once daily. Heck, there are times when I almost wish football was less popular so that the NFL would have less leeway to screwing over the fandom....

This country definitely prefers football, but there's no denying that baseball remains strong in Boston. Why this upsets some people, I do not know.

Well, since the Sox play almost every night, it's understandable that the radio talks about them a lot. Also, if people didn't want to talk about them, the subject would change quickly. Obviously people do want to talk about the Sox.

I repeat: Shut-ins listen to radio. The masses watch TV. Hence the consistent TV ratings beatdowns even preseason Pats games deliver over pennant race Sox Yankee games while the fat yappers on radio center on baseball.

I repeat: Shut-ins listen to radio.
That explains why radio's ratings peak incredibly during the morning and evening commutes. I guess all the shut ins get up early to listen from 7-9 and then take a nap so they can tune in again at 4-6?

That explains why radio's ratings peak incredibly during the morning and evening commutes. I guess all the shut ins get up early to listen from 7-9 and then take a nap so they can tune in again at 4-6?

Commuters have no choice. Cannot watch TV and drive. The loyal listeners who truly make or break radio success and who call in are old time shut ins and people with no lives. People who have control over their own lives have computers and get on web forums. They don't have to call in at dictated times and wait in line to get their points across.

Last edited:
I find baseball irritating when the seasons overlap. I'm not at all "obsessed" by it, but I wish baseball talk (noise) would just go away once the NFL preseason starts. The sports couldn't be more different.

I repeat: Shut-ins listen to radio. The masses watch TV. Hence the consistent TV ratings beatdowns even preseason Pats games deliver over pennant race Sox Yankee games while the fat yappers on radio center on baseball.

This might be true when the games are on but during the day, I listen to a lot of sports-talk radio while driving and sometimes while working. Whenever talk turns to baseball, I turn it off.

Do you work out of your house? I'm in my car for 2 - 3 hours a day. I only listen to sports radio as do the vast majority of men commuting to their jobs.

In fact, I listen to more radio than TV. I don't have time to watch it except the weekends and I'm sure a lot of others do too.

I don't see what that has to do with people worrying about the Sox either.

Do you think a 2-time PED crook would be able to play out the last 2 months of a season and the playoffs in the NFL pending an "appeal" that somehow couldn't be heard within 100 days??????

Sorry. There may be just as many cheats in football - - but face facts - - they are treated differently than in the NFL.

The majority of the time, the NFL will move quickly to suspend a player who tests positive for a banned substance.

Occasionally, though, there is something like the StarCaps case with the Vikings defensive linemen. I'm fuzzy on the details, but I believe that went on for more than a year before any player served a suspension. It's not apples to apples with what's going on in baseball now, but just an example that the NFL has lengthy appeals once in a while.

Do you work out of your house? I'm in my car for 2 - 3 hours a day. I only listen to sports radio as do the vast majority of men commuting to their jobs.

In fact, I listen to more radio than TV. I don't have time to watch it except the weekends and I'm sure a lot of others do too.

I don't see what that has to do with people worrying about the Sox either.

I have a home office AND I am in my car 2-3 hours per day.

I like the Sox. I root for the Sox (except for last year when I rooted for them to lose so that Bobby Microphone would be fired quickly).

I have nothing against the Sox and Baseball, unlike some others here. My beef is with the old-timey, parochial Boston media who see the preponderance of shut ins who have the time CALL during the day to wait 30 minutes on hold on a radio station telephone tree and therefore think Boston needs RedSox coverage to push over Patriots coverage.

Thank God for Patsfans.com and the national media.

Does it have real world effect? You bet it does. Think about it the next time you cannot take the Silver Line to see a Pats game and have to fight your way down "beautiful" 495 to "downtown Foxboro" to see the Patriots. Hey,after the game, lets walk to the waterfront for a beer and dinner! Oh no - - we have to stay a couple of hours in a highway parking lot - - Finneran, Shaughnessy, Barnicle and the Globe won the Southie battle.

Be thankful, Bob Kraft didn't move the team to Hartford or further.

Last edited:
Commuters have no choice. Cannot watch TV and drive.
Really, man? What are you driving, a 1975 Chevelle?

Those of us living in the 21st century have plenty of listening options in our cars besides just the radio. And by the way, not all commuters are drivers. Awful lot of people on those buses and trains you see flying by all the time.

Does it have real world effect? You bet it does. Think about it the next time you cannot take the Silver Line to see a Pats game and have to fight your way down "beautiful" 495 to "downtown Foxboro" to see the Patriots. Hey,after the game, lets walk to the waterfront for a beer and dinner! Oh no - - we have to stay a couple of hours in a highway parking lot - - Finneran, Shaughnessy, Barnicle and the Globe won the Southie battle.
I'm not sure I can blame those parties for that. Fact is that progress in this city, unlike everywhere else in the country, is damn near impossible. People in Boston are terrified of change. I don't mean politically, I mean, like, change to the neighborhoods. Development in Boston is a nightmare unlike any other city in the country because no matter where you want to develop, there's always some neighborhood group representing 125 people that carries an obscene amount of power to obstruct whatever you want to do.

The Red Sox wanted to move to the South Boston Waterfront, but they're still playing in the same dilapidated building they've been in for the past century. The Patriots wanted to move to the South Boston Waterfront but they're still in within 500 yards of the old building.

Idiotic neighborhood groups opposed to progress 2,
Progress which benefits us all 0.

Be thankful, Bob Kraft didn't move the team to Hartford or further.

Add Will McDonough to the Irish cabal of Kraft obstructionists. You have to wonder if Gillette would now be in Boston had the Patriots been big winners much earlier. NOTHING those Southie morons "feared" was accurately portrayed and having the Pats there would've been a boon to Boston.

The majority of the time, the NFL will move quickly to suspend a player who tests positive for a banned substance.

Occasionally, though, there is something like the StarCaps case with the Vikings defensive linemen. I'm fuzzy on the details, but I believe that went on for more than a year before any player served a suspension. It's not apples to apples with what's going on in baseball now, but just an example that the NFL has lengthy appeals once in a while.

NFL players I believe don't get suspended for first failed test. The go into prevention program before and then if failed again get suspended four games(25% of season and pay)

And MLB tests for HGH now

MLB players suspended suspended on first failed test. 50 games suspension (30.8% of season and pay)

So, is your point that the Red Sox should have their games in drive time?:D

Originally Posted by shmessy
Commuters have no choice. Cannot watch TV and drive.
Really, man? What are you driving, a 1975 Chevelle?

Um, you watch TV while you drive? Can you please post when and where you regularly drive so I can plan on not being there?:D (I quoted him out of context for a joke.)

Um, you watch TV while you drive?
Don't be silly. How could I possibly watch TV while I was driving with all the texting and internet surfing and eating already going on? :D

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back