PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TV Ratings: Pats/Bucs vs Sox/Yanks

I know this happens all the time, but I never get tired of seeing it. A Patriots pre-season game with more local viewers than Game 1 of Sox/Yankees.

Pats game highest rated locally - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Yes, Larry, more people were watching your "biggest rival" play a meaningless game than watching your team play its other biggest rival.:p

Serious question...did anyone from the Red Sox say the Pats are there biggest rival? If so that's cheap.

And this is nothing new. Boston/ New England as been a Patriots town for quite some time now...Just now even the old time baseball people are startin to admit it..

Serious question...did anyone from the Red Sox say the Pats are there biggest rival? If so that's cheap.

Yup. Lucchino (sp?) did. They asked Jonathan Kraft what he thought about that statement and he said our rivals are on the field and that they loved the red sox. Weird of the sox to even mention a rivalry with the pats. Obviously cares more about ratings then the game itself.

Some people worry too much about the Sox. I've got tickets to both and I don't understand all of the "Sox Envy" and that's what most of it is. I enjoy both and trading for the occasional Celtics tickets as well.

The reason: NFL has cheerleaders and the MLB does not.

Some people worry too much about the Sox. I've got tickets to both and I don't understand all of the "Sox Envy" and that's what most of it is. I enjoy both and trading for the occasional Celtics tickets as well.

It's mostly because I will be on my way home from work on a Monday after a Patriots game and 75% of the radio talk will concern the red sox. It isn't red sox envy, it is frustration that when I am in the car it isn't pats on the radio

Well, since the Sox play almost every night, it's understandable that the radio talks about them a lot. Also, if people didn't want to talk about them, the subject would change quickly. Obviously people do want to talk about the Sox.

I think the only "Sox Envy" out there was revealed by Lucchino's comments about the Patriots. A serious inferiority complex developing over there on Yawkey Way.

I started this thread mainly to point out the obvious. Football is many times over more popular than baseball--even in Ye olde baseball towne. There is no envy. Annoyance at the old school media's pushing the Red Sox down our throats? Sometimes.

Re: Re: TV Ratings: Pats/Bucs vs Sox/Yanks

Well, since the Sox play almost every night, it's understandable that the radio talks about them a lot. Also, if people didn't want to talk about them, the subject would change quickly. Obviously people do want to talk about the Sox.

I am not so sure that is true. Calls ar screened

eh, I "watch" most Sox games (watching isn't the same as watching a Pats game, for reasons already mentioned -- not just the sport itself but the # of games -- when I watch the Sox I'm usually doing something else for a decent part of the game, too, kind of like when I watch non-Pats football games)

But I watched Pats / Bucs rather than the Sox -- precisely because it's been months without football versus watching 100 or so Sox games

Of course, I would have taken a Sox win over a Pats win, despite watching the Pats.

It's interesting to me how many people don't seem to be Sox / baseball fans. I am a fan of all 4 major sports teams in Boston. I do get disliking a sport / league, as I hate the NBA -- but I'm still a Celts fan and will watch their games when they're on out here, as painful as I find the league.

Yup. Lucchino (sp?) did. They asked Jonathan Kraft what he thought about that statement and he said our rivals are on the field and that they loved the red sox. Weird of the sox to even mention a rivalry with the pats. Obviously cares more about ratings then the game itself.

Lucchino is an ass.

Why do so many Patriot fans obsess over the Red Sox?? :D

You tell us the team is irrelevant, the sport is irrelevant and yet you can't leave it alone

Pretty funny!

Could it be that you know in your heart of hearts the Patriots status of top dog around here (and in the NFL) ends when TB retires??

Uh huh!!

Could it be that you know in your heart of hearts the Patriots status of top dog around here (and in the NFL) ends when TB retires??
I will care just as much about the red sox after brady retires as I did before he came in for bledsoe.. None.

By none I mean I inadvertently learned the red sox won the world series on the news the day after, that's how much I care.

The red sox are just above the revolution on my sports scale, and thats only because I can't even think of 1 revolution players name.

Do you think a 2-time PED crook would be able to play out the last 2 months of a season and the playoffs in the NFL pending an "appeal" that somehow couldn't be heard within 100 days??????
Bad analogy. Fact is that, believe it or not, A-Rod has never officially tested positive for PEDs so technically he isn't a 2-time or even a 1-time offender. (He did unofficially test positive under with a supposedly-anonymous sample but that was back before PED's were banned in baseball and cannot be used against him)

When was the last time the NFL suspended someone for PEDs without that person testing positive? As much as I hate to admit it, baseball has taken lead over football in getting PED's (specifically, HGH) out of the sport. The NFL has some catching up to do, and I have faith they will do it.

The problem with sports talk radio in this town even from the early days of WEEI is that the radio hosts love to go for the low hanging fruit of sports topics. Easier to talk about beaning A-Rod than analyze Friday night's game or preview Thursday's. Even most of the Patriots talk is still Tebow.
The lack of Patriots talk on local radio is a direct result of how well run of an organization they are. Sports radio, especially in Boston, loves to talk and complain about things that are going wrong. The Red Sox have had countless problems, even during their championship seasons, to discuss. Shots of Jack Daniels before playoff games, Theo in a gorilla suit, beer and chicken, firing Tito, Theo quits again, Bobby Valentine, Manny Ramirez, and so on.

The Patriots are too well run to have those things happening as regularly. Even when something high profile takes place, the organization does not contribute to the conversation by making it worse.

I find it interesting that many organizations covering sports have noticed how much fans are in to football, to the point of increasing how much they invest in coverage of (Allan Iverson voice) practice - while at the same time other organizations covering sports (Boston area radio stations) are ignoring that trend.

Practice is perfect for ramping up NFL coverage - SportsBusiness Daily | Sports Business Journal

I called Boston Globe Sports Editor Joe Sullivan, who said the Globe and its Boston.com site had beefed up their training camp coverage over the last two summers, but admitted he sensed a more recent sea change. “There is no doubt that the amount of detail and coverage of training camp has been ramped up,” he told me. “This is all a fairly recent development. Readers seem absolutely insatiable with news about the NFL.” When I talked about the volume of coverage from various outlets, he jumped right in, “We needed to do it to keep up with the competition.”

Sullivan also sends a third reporter to assist in getting quotes from players and coaches. “Some of this is a result of access. Players are all leaving the field at the same time, so we need a body there to get quotes,” he said. He also has one reporter and video producer committed to coverage strictly for Boston.com. Five people covering practice. Is this all a little much, I asked? He laughed a bit, paused and said, “I agree that what we’re reporting on is just practice. It’s just practice, but it is interesting material that could — could — have a bearing on their season down the line.” And while not revealing specifics, he said traffic numbers are overwhelmingly supporting the investment.

Glad to see that even the bow tied bum kissers at the Globe are reacting to market realities, sampling their readership. Well at least in the sports pages.

You tell us the team is irrelevant, the sport is irrelevant and yet you can't leave it alone

Pretty funny!

Uh huh!!

Obsess? I don't see any obsession. There was a link on this page about the TV ratings, I found it humorous, thus a thread about the topic. It's hard to obsess over a team that I forget exists once training camp starts.

Just like the "Sox Envy" that was referenced earlier, the only obsession I have witnessed recently has come from Lucchino. A team in the same city from a different sport is his big rival? Obsession born from a feeling of inadequacy.

The little brother has grown bigger than the big brother and can kick his arse. It sounds like the former big brother is just coming to this realization...about 15 to 20 years after the fact.;)

Pretty funny!

Uh huh!!

Why do you obsess over this false idea of yours that Pats fans obsess over the Red Sox?

Why do you obsess over this false idea of yours that Pats fans obsess over the Red Sox?

Why do you obsess over his obsession with our alleged obsession over the Sox?;)

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back