PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tuesday 8/13 Patriots Training Camp Practice Thread (Last Gillette Public Practice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man do I hope pats upgrade TE next year. Draft a young stud. Corpse Watson is not the answer
They had their chance to do EXACTLY that 2 straight years in TE heavy (and talented) TE classes. If they would've done that (Imagine taking one each year before the 4th round), they might have been ready for Gronk's retirement. To me, it's a crime they didn't prepare for this, being their was Gronk retirement talk right after SB 52. Luckily he played one more year and was a factor.

So where's the rest of the news for this light practice?

So where's the rest of the news for this light practice?

Looks like we have to wait until tomorrow's joint session for some real news.....

26 more days until kickoff!!!

They had their chance to do EXACTLY that 2 straight years in TE heavy (and talented) TE classes. If they would've done that (Imagine taking one each year before the 4th round), they might have been ready for Gronk's retirement. To me, it's a crime they didn't prepare for this, being their was Gronk retirement talk right after SB 52. Luckily he played one more year and was a factor.

BB spent too many years neglecting the offense (in terms of high draft picks) to start spending on a position that was already filled with a talent like Gronk. If you start in 2007, and go up to, but don't include last year's (2018) draft, which gets you to the last 2 years that you mention, the number of offense v. defense, in terms of picks in the top 2 rounds is

Offense: 5
Defense: 18

And one of those picks on offense was JAG.

So, between need and available talent, the team had a lot of immediate, and known, holes to fill. At that point, it became a matter of numbers, availability, and positional priorities. If they'd gotten the TE instead of Wynn, there'd be a panic about the OT position.

BB spent too many years neglecting the offense (in terms of high draft picks) to start spending on a position that was already filled with a talent like Gronk. If you start in 2007, and go up to, but don't include last year's (2018) draft, which gets you to the last 2 years that you mention, the number of offense v. defense, in terms of picks in the top 2 rounds is

Offense: 5
Defense: 18

And one of those picks on offense was JAG.

So, between need and available talent, the team had a lot of immediate, and known, holes to fill. At that point, it became a matter of numbers, availability, and positional priorities. If they'd gotten the TE instead of Wynn, there'd be a panic about the OT position.

What what factor enabled him to so heavily weight his draft capital toward the defense while still somehow having a good to great offense? Tom Brady of course.

But now the pendulum is slowly swinging back, and the last three first round draft picks have been on offense (OT, RB, WR). I think it is a smart and natural reaction to Tom Brady aging, he can be just as effective as a QB but it is still smart to try to reduce his hits a bit by improving his running game and offensive line (which of course took a real hit with Gronk's retirement because he was such an effective blocker).

That’s because you look at something Belichick sees as green and believe is orange.

He isn’t filling predetermined roles. He is building a team. If he never sees value in another TE he will never “replace” gronk.
HE WILL ALTER HIS OFFENSE TO RELY LESS ON TIGHT ENDS.
He isn’t “planning for retirements”. He isn’t finding players to fit into the role he thinks he needs . He is finding players that are value and molding them into a team.
Why do you think he has pretty much never stocked the shelves with toys for the GOAT? Most coaches would spend heavy on weapons to make Brady’s job easy.
Belichick sees it the other way. There is less value in a high priced WR when Brady can turn a group of JAGS into a top passing offense. So you spend resources on the things Brady can’t elevate and you end up with a better TEAM.

47c44ce596d1028f0a62bf89040aa871.png

Last edited:
What what factor enabled him to so heavily weight his draft capital toward the defense while still somehow having a good to great offense? Tom Brady of course.

But now the pendulum is slowly swinging back, and the last three first round draft picks have been on offense (OT, RB, WR). I think it is a smart and natural reaction to Tom Brady aging, he can be just as effective as a QB but it is still smart to try to reduce his hits a bit by improving his running game and offensive line (which of course took a real hit with Gronk's retirement because he was such an effective blocker).

It wouldn't have been such a big deal if that stretch hadn't corresponded with a long period of disappointing drafting, missing draft picks, and/or retention decisions. But, if you look at the picks in rounds 1-2 in that 2007-2017 stretch, you'll see that only McCourty and Hightower have been kept (Collins and Chung are returnees).

2007: Meriweather
2008: Mayo, Wheatley
2009: Chung, Brace, Butler
2010: McCourty, Cunningham, Spikes
2011: Dowling
2012: Ch. Jones, Hightower, Wilson
2013: Collins
2014: Easley
2015: Brown, Richards
2016: Cy. Jones
2017: None

540bfa675bca96fabc87e18a3f506a20.png

d9d04c3e40a80b187ac41118edc1dac7.png

Last edited:
Thumbs up...

"Patriots practice wrapping up. Walkthrough. Four targets for Saubert, though, in his first day with the team. Caught three, including one in the end zone from Tom Brady."

I can't believe that I'm so thirsty for Patriots updates that I actually watched a slow-motion video of a coach holding a lanyard.
I'm a little desperate too. I'm watching a replay of Pats/Lions right now. I have never ever re-watched an entire preseason game with good reason.

It wouldn't have been such a big deal if that stretch hadn't corresponded with a long period of disappointing drafting, missing draft picks, and/or retention decisions. But, if you look at the picks in rounds 1-2 in that 2007-2017 stretch, you'll see that only McCourty and Hightower have been kept (Collins and Chung are returnees).

2007: Meriweather
2008: Mayo, Wheatley
2009: Chung, Brace, Butler
2010: McCourty, Cunningham, Spikes
2011: Dowling
2012: Ch. Jones, Hightower, Wilson
2013: Collins
2014: Easley
2015: Brown, Richards
2016: Cy. Jones
2017: None

2014-2017 yikes...that’s embarrassing drafting rounds 1-2 plus ******* Goodell stealing our pick

I can't believe that I'm so thirsty for Patriots updates that I actually watched a slow-motion video of a coach holding a lanyard.
Me too. My wife dropped a piece of mail. I immediately ran up put my hands under center and started barking out audibles :rolleyes:

Harry Edelman and Gordon are all good starting receivers in the NFL. Need all 3 this year.

Harry Edelman and Gordon are all good starting receivers in the NFL. Need all 3 this year.

First, we dont know what Harry is yet. Hasent played a snap yet.

Second, Jules and JG are not just "good" They are better than "good"

Third, this team can easily win with 2 out of the 3 above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes