PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trollin Volin In the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an embarrassment that Boston has such crap writers for the most part.

Golden age of sports started in 2001 and many championships later they still try to diminish it every chance they get.

Remember the days of Peter Gammons hot stove comments in the Sunday Globe it took a while to read???.. never could figure out where and how he got all that info.. then there were a host of others who were very good also... McDonough, Montville, McMullen and Bob Ryan.. they were all knowledgeable and reliable.

My humble opinion of how we went from the best to the worse was that after BB, Doc, Stevens and other really good coaches began to control the situation and did not bow to the media, the media got really, really butthurt and the predictable backlash began starting with Ronnie Borges and continuing to this day..

As the media lost their reverence and their place in Boston Sports Hierarchy, they reacted by turning into adversaries.. also think it is a sign of the times, that despite our overall sports success talk radio is willing to jump on the hate bandwagon to further their own agenda.. which seems to sell and there are plenty of buyers.

Remember the days of Peter Gammons hot stove comments in the Sunday Globe it took a while to read???.. never could figure out where and how he got all that info.. then there were a host of others who were very good also... McDonough, Montville, McMullen and Bob Ryan.. they were all knowledgeable and reliable.

My humble opinion of how we went from the best to the worse was that after BB, Doc, Stevens and other really good coaches began to control the situation and did not bow to the media, the media got really, really butthurt and the predictable backlash began starting with Ronnie Borges and continuing to this day..

As the media lost their reverence and their place in Boston Sports Hierarchy, they reacted by turning into adversaries.. also think it is a sign of the times, that despite our overall sports success talk radio is willing to jump on the hate bandwagon to further their own agenda.. which seems to sell and there are plenty of buyers.
In my opinion, and in the opinion of many around here and across the country, the 80s Globe sports page (Sunday in particular) featured the best collection of writers in the US. They were opinionated, but largely fair, and reading them all was a pleasure. Far different, now. The false claim that their writers have always sucked is based upon recency bias, lack of knowledge or both.

Last edited:
Volin was hand picked to play "Piggy" in his high school drama club adaptation of Lord of the Flies
Standing O for the rock throwers in the climactic scene.

Piggy, for all his faults, was loyal and generally not a ****head. I'd place Volin more in the role of those dumb coattail-riding rock chuckers who operated strictly from their own comfortable, thoughtless positions within the lynch mob.

Personally, my life as a Boston sports fan got markedly better the moment I stopped reading or listening to a single word of local sports coverage. Any half-decent local guy gets picked up by a national outlet before long anyway.

Well, for once in his pathetic life he's actually right. The Patriots are not a great team this season and you'd have to be pretty deluded to say otherwise right now.

Agreed, the Pats are not a great team this season. But I think I would be remiss if I failed to point out there are no great teams this season.

Agreed, the Pats are not a great team this season. But I think I would be remiss if I failed to point out there are no great teams this season.

That is the saving grace this is 2008 / 2011 redux. No one is really playing well. Rams, Chiefs, Saints etc playing great. Maybe the Chargers are but I just can't bring myself to believe in them.

At this point it seems wide open. Which keeps me optimistic in addition to most of the issues from the past two weeks were self inflicted and highly uncharacteristic, especially when a big part of that is Brady making mental mistakes costing us points.

IMO the Saints are close to that standard....

The Saints are probably the closest thing, having both an explosive offense and a great defense. Over the last 6 games, they’ve only given up 74 total points. They’ve got a legitimate shot at finishing 14-2. That’s pretty freaking good, if not great.

Both KC and LA have decent shots of finishing 13-3, despite KC’s struggles on the defensive side of the ball. I don’t know what you think of LAC, but they recently had a stretch where they held their opponents to 19 or less in 5 consecutive games. I don’t know if that’s “great,” but it’s pretty much what we see in most years, if not every year. Actually, if they get the WC spot, it’s better than what we’re used to seeing.

What there seems to be a lot of this year is parity, and that could pose even more of a challenge because our conference is stronger than most years in seeds 1-6. Personally, I’d much rather just have the usual top 2-3 teams that we see in most seasons.

Last edited:
At this point it seems wide open. Which keeps me optimistic in addition to most of the issues from the past two weeks were self inflicted and highly uncharacteristic, especially when a big part of that is Brady making mental mistakes costing us points.
We’ve got to get that bye. Losing on the road to teams like the Lions, Jaguars, Titans, Dolphins, and Steelers makes going on the road in consecutive weeks against top level teams like the Texans and Chiefs seem pretty freaking daunting.

Yes, I agree that it’s still more than just the top teams that you’ve listed, but I don’t know if the team that we root for is in that same league this year when playing away from Gillette in even one game, let alone two in a row against that kind of competition.

I would certainly think we’d be about the last team anybody would want to face during a SB run. Yes, even this years team.

From what I can see, our issues are fixable......just stay onside and stop holding for starters. Maybe even get out front early and then run your offense.

My point is I really think this team is not done and if there is anything about the NFL in 2018, our chances are as good as anyone’s.

Idk about that. I would love to play this years patriots team if I can play them at home. Anybody fearing us on the road is fearing us based off previous years because there is absolutely nothing to fear about this team when they play away from home.

Bill with a subtle jab at Volin. Apparently the full line was actually "I am sure we have plenty of transcripts if you want to read up on them".

You're finally publicly admitting this? And who is to blame if not BB?
Blame? You think blame needs to be assigned for what this franchise has done? Seriously?

Blame? You think blame needs to be assigned for what this franchise has done? Seriously?
Keep it in your shorts AJ. "Blame" needs to be assigned for this year's roster. I would go so far as to call it mismanagement. When is the last time we drafted a real NFL WR? This team cannot score in the RZ this year. Our defense has been softer than puppy poo for the last 10 years. And yes I agree, it has somehow worked for a long time now, mostly due to the HOF all time greatness of TFB. Someone has to be accountable when Josh Gordon is the #1 receiver on your offense. And of course, he was picked up during the season. This reeks of desperation and poor team building!

Keep it in your shorts AJ. "Blame" needs to be assigned for this year's roster. I would go so far as to call it mismanagement. When is the last time we drafted a real NFL WR? This team cannot score in the RZ this year. Our defense has been softer than puppy poo for the last 10 years. And yes I agree, it has somehow worked for a long time now, mostly due to the HOF all time greatness of TFB. Someone has to be accountable when Josh Gordon is the #1 receiver on your offense. And of course, he was picked up during the season. This reeks of desperation and poor team building!
First place possible bye

Ben Vomit just outdid himself this morning.

Yeah, I agree. At this point, Volin, Shaughnessy, Gasper and others are just piling on the entire team. Gasper's column this morning about Gordon is just cold and mean-spirited and I actually commented on it. What an officious little dink.

Last edited:
In years past I would have asked for a recap for us non subscribers. But I saw the headline and It looks like his (and much of the Globe’s) level of commentary is still at or below that of a really bad reactionary fan.

In years past I would have asked for a recap for us non subscribers. But I saw the headline and It looks like his (and much of the Globe’s) level of commentary is still at or below that of a really bad reactionary fan.

It wasn't even worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey