PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown contract revision

Brown has been that way since college. When he was at UF he wasn't regarded as a hard worker and didn't play as much as he should have due to conditioning issues and ended up as a 7th round pick. From his draft profile on NFL.com:

"That staff didn't feel like he was always reliable as a player. He's got a good ceiling, but you have to factor in that low floor too." -- SEC defensive coach
Scouts call him an "inconsistent worker."
Played just 43 percent of the snaps during 2014 season due to injury and conditioning issues

In his rookie year Von Miller called him the best RT in football and a year or so later he was traded us because we basically were willing to move from the 3rd to the 5th round to get him. He played well here when Scar rode his ass and he parlayed that into a big payday only to end up here 2 years later in a late round pick swap. He has all the talent in the world he is just constantly needs the motivation ($) to play well. Right now the team seems to be willing to pay up to get the performance out of him.
Right. I'm just saying I haven't heard any reports that he's been unmotivated here until now when he's held out or whatever it was for more pay. People point to his play last year and say that he's not motivated to play while neglecting to point out that he played sick when we had no one else who could even pretend to play Tackle for us.

I would think with bonus money predicated on weight and snap count, the Pats are also concerned about weight issues and motivation issues.

Right. I'm just saying I haven't heard any reports that he's been unmotivated here until now when he's held out or whatever it was for more pay. People point to his play last year and say that he's not motivated to play while neglecting to point out that he played sick when we had no one else who could even pretend to play Tackle for us.
Last year he played hurt a good part of the year and didn't play well because of it. The (likely) reason he actually played was to hit incentives in his contract.

My recollection (and it's been known to be bad) is that the mentally engaged parts were when he played for the Raiders (and I don't think he's the only player who has had that problem there) and the healthy parts have been here. People point to last year but neglect to mention that he was playing sick or injured for much of the later part of the season last year.

He's also had mental engagement issues here too... Lots of them.

I had hope that the Pats would have traded him in this past off season and acquired someone that wanted to play for the Patriots not just take their money. He was right back at his penalties during the games.

A lot of people here trying to justify moaning and crying “Trent Brown sucks” and “why didn’t BB do more at OT” all off-season, suggesting Brown showed up to camp fat despite BB saying he showed up in shape and ready to play and now he’s proving it.

Yes, but with Scar not here, a much different situation.
Klemm learned from Scar. Lots of negativity about Klemm on this board but this board has become so negative that’s nothing meaningful. Coach Klemm has been give a tough row to hoe with all the injuries and instability in the OL from the start of camp, so his ability to coach has not had much to work with. We will see what kind of situation we have with him. Still a chance he shows Scar’s influence.

Is Brown now our top offseason sign? Left tackles don't grow on trees. I wouldn't mind another 2-year deal.

I would.

Our starting Left Tackle for the 2024 season really oughta come from the 2024 draft.

There were some very low effort plays from Brown in the Jets game. It is what it is with him. Dominant when he feels like it

He is a great player in a contract year.
Folks were worried his contract revision would make him lazy.

Apparently it did not.

Maybe the key is giving him one year deals with a wink wink nudge nudge understanding there will be a mid-season sweetener?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back