PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Training Camp Observations (8/1/19) Day 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
This is a combination of observations from today and partially from last week, some of which I caught.

First off, Bedard, Cox and McKenna have described today as a bad day at the office for the offense, particularly the OL.

Brady has been described by a few as having an average, to sub-par training camp.

I disagree with them. All of them.

The offensive miscues, the two false starts by Mason then Ferentz, and the muffed handoff to Michel is what happens when you're facing an elite defense that's foaming at the mouth, that's the best I've seen in quite a while. In the past few years, the offense has usually had its way with the defense. But not this year- this is a pretty fast, swarming defense. The offense has been playing on its back heels and the OL is intimidated, hence all those mental mistakes being described as "sloppiness."

This is defense that is intense, takes pride in itself and plays with a swagger, an edge. There was a lot of chirping, woofing, and finger-pointing. I absolutely love the attitude and the fire that they exhibit on the field especially when making goal line stops- there was a lot of whooping and yelling with players spilling on the field and rubbing it in the O's face, and even Jerod Mayo wasn't above running onto the field and doing a little finger wagging himself. This has been an energetic training camp- you'd never guess that they had just won the superbowl. Bentley plays with intensity- got into it with K'neal.

I had my eyes on a few players- mostly Collins- I wanted to know if he was going to be different this time around, and by all accounts he is- a lot more communication to and from him, and he is playing within the game instead of outside of it (e.g., freelancing), and I think that has come with maturity, with understanding why the game is played the way it is- he continues to be a disruptive player, punching the ball out, making stops, being all over.

Michael Bennett is flying under the radar for the most part, and seems to be in snooze mode through training camp, but when he has had to turn it on, he has been an absolute monster. He destroyed Shaq Mason in the OL vs. DL RB drill where you had to shed the OL and try to contain or funnel the RB. He stood Mason up and shed him like a rag doll and just wrapped up the RB. Unbelievable upper body strength there.

Lazar and others think that we are going back to the 3-4, I actually think we're going to stay with the 2-4, with only one or two linemen down in the dirt, and utilize more backers than linemen. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we were in nickel, or dime for most of this upcoming season.

This is a feisty group of DB's that takes pride in shutting down receivers- especially Gilmore who didn't allow even as much as a whiff of the ball when called upon. I think we'll keep a deep corp as we did last year. They have outstanding communication amongst themselves and are very rarely fooled by the offense- only once today were they fooled, on a goal line double fake PA.

And the offense? What gives?

One reason everyone keeps reading about acrobatic, crazy catches is because that's all that the defense is giving up. A couple crazy circus catches by K'neal, Meyers, and Dorsett today.

It has otherwise been difficult to move on this defense, to get an actual first down.

K'neal looks like someone who just got hit with a freight train of a playbook, but I think he'll be fine. His talent will pull him through until the rest of him catches up. Right now he is doing too much thinking, and that's of course normal of a rookie who's getting coached up from every direction, and from anyone within earshot. It was nice to see Dorsett take K'neal under his wing and just help to keep him calm and even-keeled. He has a lot to learn in terms of hand placements especially on comebacks, and how to push off subtly. His pushoffs right before he goes up for the ball is too obvious at this point.

Watson still has it- he had a beautiful diving catch, and the chemistry between Brady and Watson is still there.

As mentioned, Meyers is making a name for himself and gets my vote as the annual UDFA to make the team, and Maurice Harris is carving a nice niche for himself- and seems to be picking up where Patterson left off- running the same gadget plays (jet sweeps, etc).

As of this point, Skipper is our starting LT for the foreseeable future. He is not spectacular, but is fundamentally sound and I am impressed with his pad levels- he can get himself as low as Thuney, which is saying something! He does a nice job holding people away from his body, has nice hands, good eyes (picked up a secondary rusher). Will he hold up against an elite DL? That's the big question.

More coming but wanted to get this out for now.

Bennett is probably the 2nd best player on our defense.

Too many overreactions on the LT position. 4 weeks from now it will look different.

Great write up. Fills in a lot of gaps. Thank you.

This is a combination of observations from today and partially from last week, some of which I caught.

First off, Bedard, Cox and McKenna have described today as a bad day at the office for the offense, particularly the OL.

Brady has been described by a few as having an average, to sub-par training camp.

I disagree with them. All of them.

The offensive miscues, the two false starts by Mason then Ferentz, and the muffed handoff to Michel is what happens when you're facing an elite defense that's foaming at the mouth, that's the best I've seen in quite a while. In the past few years, the offense has usually had its way with the defense. But not this year- this is a pretty fast, swarming defense. The offense has been playing on its back heels and the OL is intimidated, hence all those mental mistakes being described as "sloppiness."

This is defense that is intense, takes pride in itself and plays with a swagger, an edge. There was a lot of chirping, woofing, and finger-pointing. I absolutely love the attitude and the fire that they exhibit on the field especially when making goal line stops- there was a lot of whooping and yelling with players spilling on the field and rubbing it in the O's face, and even Jerod Mayo wasn't above running onto the field and doing a little finger wagging himself. This has been an energetic training camp- you'd never guess that they had just won the superbowl. Bentley plays with intensity- got into it with K'neal.

I had my eyes on a few players- mostly Collins- I wanted to know if he was going to be different this time around, and by all accounts he is- a lot more communication to and from him, and he is playing within the game instead of outside of it (e.g., freelancing), and I think that has come with maturity, with understanding why the game is played the way it is- he continues to be a disruptive player, punching the ball out, making stops, being all over.

Michael Bennett is flying under the radar for the most part, and seems to be in snooze mode through training camp, but when he has had to turn it on, he has been an absolute monster. He destroyed Shaq Mason in the OL vs. DL RB drill where you had to shed the OL and try to contain or funnel the RB. He stood Mason up and shed him like a rag doll and just wrapped up the RB. Unbelievable upper body strength there.

Lazar and others think that we are going back to the 3-4, I actually think we're going to stay with the 2-4, with only one or two linemen down in the dirt, and utilize more backers than linemen. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we were in nickel, or dime for most of this upcoming season.

This is a feisty group of DB's that takes pride in shutting down receivers- especially Gilmore who didn't allow even as much as a whiff of the ball when called upon. I think we'll keep a deep corp as we did last year. They have outstanding communication amongst themselves and are very rarely fooled by the offense- only once today were they fooled, on a goal line double fake PA.

And the offense? What gives?

One reason everyone keeps reading about acrobatic, crazy catches is because that's all that the defense is giving up. A couple crazy circus catches by K'neal, Meyers, and Dorsett today.

It has otherwise been difficult to move on this defense, to get an actual first down.

K'neal looks like someone who just got hit with a freight train of a playbook, but I think he'll be fine. His talent will pull him through until the rest of him catches up. Right now he is doing too much thinking, and that's of course normal of a rookie who's getting coached up from every direction, and from anyone within earshot. It was nice to see Dorsett take K'neal under his wing and just help to keep him calm and even-keeled. He has a lot to learn in terms of hand placements especially on comebacks, and how to push off subtly. His pushoffs right before he goes up for the ball is too obvious at this point.

Watson still has it- he had a beautiful diving catch, and the chemistry between Brady and Watson is still there.

As mentioned, Meyers is making a name for himself and gets my vote as the annual UDFA to make the team, and Maurice Harris is carving a nice niche for himself- and seems to be picking up where Patterson left off- running the same gadget plays (jet sweeps, etc).

As of this point, Skipper is our starting LT for the foreseeable future. He is not spectacular, but is fundamentally sound and I am impressed with his pad levels- he can get himself as low as Thuney, which is saying something! He does a nice job holding people away from his body, has nice hands, good eyes (picked up a secondary rusher). Will he hold up against an elite DL? That's the big question.

More coming but wanted to get this out for now.

Between you and Ken we have had some great reports so far this year.

Nice write-up and totally agree about the offense...the defense is playing lights-out. Our offense against another team would look as good as always.

The defense is getting a lot of sacks this year.

It’s been a very long time since the Pats had this deep and talented a defense. BB as DC? This may be an historic season.

It’s been a very long time since the Pats had this deep and talented a defense. BB as DC? This may be an historic season.
Don't get my hopes up for a repeat of the early dynasty nasty defenses the Pats used to trot out! I've been waiting 15 years to see it. :D

Don't get my hopes up for a repeat of the early dynasty nasty defenses the Pats used to trot out! I've been waiting 15 years to see it. :D
Obligatory “it’s a different game, now” comment.

We saw it this past February. Now let’s hope it rolls into this season.

Want to give a hard time for “K’Neal” when it is “N’Keal”.. but I’m not sure anyone is fully comfortable with spelling/pronouncing it free of mixups :p

Dorsett is mentoring N'Keal? That's honestly pretty nice to hear. From most of the reports I've read, Dorsett seems like a great person.

Jakobi Meyers seems to be an intriguing prospect from what I have read.. Unfortunately, I missed the first week of TC as had a lot of company.

Now have to wait until they come back from Detroit to make a pilgrimage to TC...

The flip side is that it is very likely we see the early dynasty version of the offense also. Strong running game and Brady as “game manager”. The TE position is looking like the Wiggins era. As long as it results in a Lombardi I’m all in for it!

But if @PP2 report of TC is correct, that deep D is overwhelming and showing huge nastiness and attitude this week the likes we’ve never seen in Foxboro - almost sounds Suggsian/Burficktian level nastiness.

Want to give a hard time for “K’Neal” when it is “N’Keal”.. but I’m not sure anyone is fully comfortable with spelling/pronouncing it free of mixups :p

You got me.. I'll go stand in the corner now. :rolleyes:

But if @PP2 report of TC is correct, that deep D is overwhelming and showing huge nastiness and attitude this week the likes we’ve never seen in Foxboro - almost sounds Suggsian/Burficktian level nastiness.

I was enthusiastic about the talent level on the D before camp, and am now having a hard time staying level-headed about this ("it is still very early...just camp...etc."), but yeah, wow, this could be really fun this year.

I'm just as concerned that the three "weak spots" on this team are all on offense. That's a lot of fixing to do on one side of the ball given that opening night against the Steelers is only a month away.

Jakobi Meyers seems to be an intriguing prospect from what I have read.. Unfortunately, I missed the first week of TC as had a lot of company.

Now have to wait until they come back from Detroit to make a pilgrimage to TC...
See you there.

Obligatory “it’s a different game, now” comment.
I remember I kept getting told that early on last year. That defense could no longer be dominant in the NFL. Isn’t that right,@robertweathers? :cool:

Look Meyers and Skipper status is really growing day after day...interesting...

Nice write up. The offense still needs more talent, though. JE, JG and maybe Watson would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes