PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Training Camp: Joint Practices with Detroit week thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it doesn't take much to be a sports writer. Shoot, at least Ben Volin might possibly google something before posting it.

He did and ended up quoting himself.

It worked for Russell Wilson. He once cited the 2012 Seahawks you mad bro game as the point where he felt like he could cut it in the league. Just a quick refresher, Wilson's game winning TD to Sidney Rice had rookies Tavon Wilson and Nate Ebner playing the deep safeties. o_O

The first TD...ok...but the second one....

That game annoyed me to no end...up 23-10 with little time left...and Tavon was caught looking into the backfield on play action.....

Keep trollin', trollin', trollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies trollin', Volin..

Good info here from a Detroit reporter...

- Stafford drops back on third down and a Patriots defensive end, I believe it was former Michigan State standout Shilique Calhoun, beats left tackle Taylor Decker on a rush. In a real game, Stafford is sacked and the Lions are in fourth-and-long, or maybe takes off scrambling for his life.
- Tom Brady opens with three straight completions for first downs and all of a sudden it's first-and-10 at the 20-yard line with 44 seconds on the clock. Darius Slay wasn't on the field for that series, and the Lions are still without most of their high-priced defensive line. But Brady was a surgeon moving into field-goal range while throwing to the likes of Jakobi Meyers and Braxton Berrios.
- Some good and some bad from a couple of Lions rookie linebackers: Tre Lamar had a nice breakup on a Brady pass to Matt LaCosse early in practice during a tight end/linebacker/safety goal-line passing drill. Two periods later, Jahlani Tavai was left flat-footed trying to cover Brandon Bolden in 1-on-1s.
- I've liked what I've seen from Lions rookie running back Ty Johnson this summer, but Johnson dropped a would-be touchdown pass on the final play of 1-on-1s after he sprinted past Dont'a Hightower.
- Bill Belichick does something kind of strange: All the Patriots rookies wear numbers in the 50s, 60s and 70s at this stage of camp. I asked one of my New England colleagues about the practice and was told Patriots rookies used to not have jersey numbers at all, and this is Belichick's way of making them earn their stripes, sort of like spring training in baseball.

Last edited:
But if the Pats have a running game even if Meyers runs like a tortoise it won't matter...he'll be open anyway. Remember Edelman wasn't suppose to be as good as he's been according to draft experts. Maybe they figured how to scheme Meyers open which shows he has good knowledge of our Playbook and Brady trust him.
Edelman and Meyers have COMPLETELY different skill sets. Edelman's quickness makes him made for man coverage in the slot area and he has enough, speed to create space on the outside, even though his speed isn't elite.

Haha, that's cute. You actually think you're making fun of him? He's loving this. You're the reason he still has a job in Boston. Congrats.:rolleyes:

I thought I would check out the Lions MB to check their their views of today's joint practice.
At DetroitLionsforum they had a 318 page Lions thread but only 1 post mentioning todays practice.
At Motownsports they had a training camp thread with only 1 reply.
At PrideofDetroit they had no threads but several good articles as former Patriot Tavon Wilson surprised by having a great practice.
Seems like MattyP has a great gig in that fans are not second guessing him on a daily basis.

It could be that he’s expected back from pup during these joint practices?

It would be rare, if ever, for a player of Flowers stature to come directly off PUP and be an immediate participant in one of these practices.

Besides there was no mention of PUP in his article. Perry missed it.

A thought just occurred to me. Other than a mention that he was starting a left tackle, nothing else I've read on various sites mentioned Dan Skipper. I'm choosing to take that as rather good news. No comments about Skipper being driven back into Brady. No reports about Brady being harassed by rushers off his blind side. LT is one of those positions where no news is often good news for the player.

One could say we didn't hear about Dan Skipper dominating his defenders either, but the absence of any negatives at least gives us the hope that he didn't suck either.

I thought I would check out the Lions MB to check their their views of today's joint practice.
At DetroitLionsforum they had a 318 page Lions thread but only 1 post mentioning todays practice.
At Motownsports they had a training camp thread with only 1 reply.
At PrideofDetroit they had no threads but several good articles as former Patriot Tavon Wilson surprised by having a great practice.
Seems like MattyP has a great gig in that fans are not second guessing him on a daily basis.
In a way-to-early prediction Lions could go 10-6 this year. Hopefully that gets their fanbase out of their funk.

In a way-to-early prediction Lions could go 10-6 this year. Hopefully that gets their fanbase out of their funk.
I would expect Matt and BB to get together for dinner one night this week, would the topic of last year's Lions win be part of their dinner conversation or is it on to mashed potatoes?

Today, August 5th 2019, Jakobi Meyers, Maurice Harris and Braxton Berrios > Josh Gordon, Demeryius Thomas, and Cameron Merdith. That could change if/when any of the latter three actually suit up.

He did and ended up quoting himself.

Honestly, it can happen. More than once I've had what I thought to be a novel, fascinating idea for an article in my subject area, turned to Google to see if anybody else has ever done it, and discovered that somebody had. Me, nine years ago.

One time I even researched and wrote a whole article only to discover I'd covered the exact same topic years before--and given it the exact same "clever" title. :rolleyes:

The New England tight ends do not look like nfl quality players.

I think we see a lot of offensive tackles being the sixth lineman this year,

Pennel is a beast! Really excited to see him play in real games.

Good info here from a Detroit reporter...

- Stafford drops back on third down and a Patriots defensive end, I believe it was former Michigan State standout Shilique Calhoun, beats left tackle Taylor Decker on a rush. In a real game, Stafford is sacked and the Lions are in fourth-and-long, or maybe takes off scrambling for his life.
- Tom Brady opens with three straight completions for first downs and all of a sudden it's first-and-10 at the 20-yard line with 44 seconds on the clock. Darius Slay wasn't on the field for that series, and the Lions are still without most of their high-priced defensive line. But Brady was a surgeon moving into field-goal range while throwing to the likes of Jakobi Meyers and Braxton Berrios.
- Some good and some bad from a couple of Lions rookie linebackers: Tre Lamar had a nice breakup on a Brady pass to Matt LaCosse early in practice during a tight end/linebacker/safety goal-line passing drill. Two periods later, Jahlani Tavai was left flat-footed trying to cover Brandon Bolden in 1-on-1s.
- I've liked what I've seen from Lions rookie running back Ty Johnson this summer, but Johnson dropped a would-be touchdown pass on the final play of 1-on-1s after he sprinted past Dont'a Hightower.
- Bill Belichick does something kind of strange: All the Patriots rookies wear numbers in the 50s, 60s and 70s at this stage of camp. I asked one of my New England colleagues about the practice and was told Patriots rookies used to not have jersey numbers at all, and this is Belichick's way of making them earn their stripes, sort of like spring training in baseball.

I appreciated Dave Birkett's reporting. Good read.

Glad someone out there is professional enough to offset jackass Trollin's 3rd grader book report crap.

Honestly, it can happen. More than once I've had what I thought to be a novel, fascinating idea for an article in my subject area, turned to Google to see if anybody else has ever done it, and discovered that somebody had. Me, nine years ago.

One time I even researched and wrote a whole article only to discover I'd covered the exact same topic years before--and given it the exact same "clever" title. :rolleyes:

Haha. Googling a fascinating idea and finding the exact same clever idea is the polar opposite of what Volin is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes