PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Training Camp: Joint Practices with Detroit week thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus Thomas, Gordon, and Meridith are all eventually coming back to further add competitive pressure on the position.

I am curious... Why are you counting on any of these 3?

the LT spot is a mess right now.

Players getting chippy a little bit. Can mean a number of things, but I'm hoping it means they have some grit and spirit.

Of course, it could just be them getting pissed and fussy. Always a fine line there. You're either Steve Smith or Talib. I prefer Smith.

Aside from our Vaunted TE position:rolleyes: every other position is Talented and competitive.
Personally I think that some of these 6'3" WRs, who all also appear for be good physical blockers compared to most WRs, generally can replace move TEs in the routes they run. So maybe we don't need to carry many tight ends, if an O-lineman can be a blocking TE, as we've done in the past with Waddle. Izzo or LaCosse, then Watson in week 5.

Personally I think that some of these 6'3" WRs, who all also appear for be good physical blockers compared to most WRs, generally can replace move TEs in the routes they run. So maybe we don't need to carry many tight ends, if an O-lineman can be a blocking TE, as we've done in the past with Waddle. Izzo or LaCosse, then Watson in week 5.

I think were going to find 6'3" 225lb N'Keal Harry will be just that. Unlike someone like M. Harris who is more finesse...Harry is a little tougher...a more sturdy frame...and he fights for each catch.

Last edited:
I am curious... Why are you counting on any of these 3?
Good question. Eventually you have to think that at LEAST one of the three will find their way on to the field. All three have had more success ON the field than everyone the Pats currently have at WR except Edelman.

Prior to this week I thought Gordon was a lock to be back sometime in TC. As of now, it's being reported that if he comes back sometime this season it would be a surprise. Thomas is simply a matter of time, as is Meridith. But in both their cases it remains to be seen if they will be at or near their best.

Only time will tell, but it looks like what we have is likely to be what we get for the month of September. I don't hate it and we've seen worse, so it is what it is.

I think the most disturbing thing for me thus far is the LACK of any comments today about our TE's. You would think that one of them would stand out by this point. It doesn't seem to me like they are even getting many looks from ANY of the QB's. I mean, last season Hollister was at least a camp hero early on. Now we don't even have that.

Another thought worth mentioning is from what I saw in my 2 days at camp and in clips is that Harry is a tenacious and physical blocker. I will be interested to see if at some point they send him inside to attack LB's.

Finally, it's becoming clear that Jaime Collins is going to be a lot more than just another decent off season signing. He's looking like he is going to be our "big play" LB this season.
BTW- While I know Dante Hightower is "Mr. February", but for the money we are paying him, I'd like him to make an attempt to add another month or two to that resume. We hear a lot of talk about the kid we picked up from the Raiders. Winovich flashed the last couple of days as well as Rivers and Wise. When are we going to hear about a flash play from the guy who makes the most money in the front 7??????

Another thought worth mentioning is from what I saw in my 2 days at camp and in clips is that Harry is a tenacious and physical blocker. I will be interested to see if at some point they send him inside to attack LB's.?

Yeah I agree...I think that may be plan B if they don't trade for a better TE then the ones we have or the current TE's don't step it up.

I think the most disturbing thing for me thus far is the LACK of any comments today about our TE's. You would think that one of them would stand out by this point. It doesn't seem to me like they are even getting many looks from ANY of the QB's. I mean, last season Hollister was at least a camp hero early on. Now we don't even have that.

Another thought worth mentioning is from what I saw in my 2 days at camp and in clips is that Harry is a tenacious and physical blocker. I will be interested to see if at some point they send him inside to attack LB's.

Finally, it's becoming clear that Jaime Collins is going to be a lot more than just another decent off season signing. He's looking like he is going to be our "big play" LB this season.
BTW- While I know Dante Hightower is "Mr. February", but for the money we are paying him, I'd like him to make an attempt to add another month or two to that resume. We hear a lot of talk about the kid we picked up from the Raiders. Winovich flashed the last couple of days as well as Rivers and Wise. When are we going to hear about a flash play from the guy who makes the most money in the front 7??????

Comments:

1.) Right now, I think we might even go into the season with 1 TE and Watson suspended. I think we can get by with James Develin, our big WR's, and an extra OT (I have us keeping 9 OL-men on the 53 right now given the uncertain statuses of our young OT's).

2.) Hightower will make plays. His issue is just staying on the field week in and week out.

3.) I think we are likely to make a trade...we currently have a surplus of LB'ers (e.g. I don't see Christian Sam making the team....), edge rushers (I think we start Bennet and Wise Jr. in week 1, but should see a lot of Calhoun/Winovich.....do we even need John Simon?), and DB's (e.g. Don't see Duke Dawson making the team).

All good and reasonable points , I even tried to look up the top 20 Tight ends for 2018 to see who we could try to trade for but my knowledge outside the top 10 was not enough to suggest any for this thread.

Maybe worth starting a thread for possible Tight ends to trade for....which team has a surplus thats better than what we have ?

All good and reasonable points , I even tried to look up the top 20 Tight ends for 2018 to see who we could try to trade for but my knowledge outside the top 10 was not enough to suggest any for this thread.

Maybe worth starting a thread for possible Tight ends to trade for....which team has a surplus thats better than what we have ?

The team we're practicing with right now, for one.

There have been reports in which Harry has been spotted mauling DBs on running plays.

Good question. Eventually you have to think that at LEAST one of the three will find their way on to the field. All three have had more success ON the field than everyone the Pats currently have at WR except Edelman.

Prior to this week I thought Gordon was a lock to be back sometime in TC. As of now, it's being reported that if he comes back sometime this season it would be a surprise. Thomas is simply a matter of time, as is Meridith. But in both their cases it remains to be seen if they will be at or near their best.

Only time will tell, but it looks like what we have is likely to be what we get for the month of September. I don't hate it and we've seen worse, so it is what it is.
I haven't heard that. Is it being spoken about widely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News