PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trades Target(s) for 2011???

Garza would be a very nice addition, but at what cost? Cubs gave up some good prospects to get him, they won't just dump him.
There gets a point where we'll end up like the Yankees if we keep giving away our farm system. Not sure Garza will make much of a difference for the Sox. Interesting nonethless.

There gets a point where we'll end up like the Yankees if we keep giving away our farm system. Not sure Garza will make much of a difference for the Sox. Interesting nonethless.

That's why you don't give up too much in trade for a guy like Garza, BUT he is only 27, proven in the AL east and still subject to arbitration. So he's not just a mid-year rental.

If Reyes could be relied upon for a year like this year, it would be a no-brainer, as a top-flight FA at a position of need for us. But there are a lot of question marks with him, as I've stated in another thread.

If we're going to go hard after a FA, make it Sabathia when he opts out. Would cost us only $ (versus $ and prospects for Reyes), he's proven himself in a big market (yes, Reyes is NY, too, but not the same attention to the Mets as the Yanks) and the AL East and it would remove the Yanks' ace and only reliable starter. (Granted, for that reason they'll probably pay him anything to stay.)

1) I feel bad for whatever team ends up paying reyes because he's good for 2 dl stints a year and probably will never put up the numbers he is this season again.
2) CC isn't going anywhere

we are already at that point. The only difference is we give up prospects for great talent. Just for fun, can you name a highly touted prospect we have traded away that ended up being worth a damn?

I will start:
Hanley Ramirez (but we did get Josh Beckett and some throw in named Mike Lowell)

1) I feel bad for whatever team ends up paying reyes because he's good for 2 dl stints a year and probably will never put up the numbers he is this season again.
2) CC isn't going anywhere

He's not, but he most likely will opt out. So might as well keep the Yanks honest. :)

we are already at that point. The only difference is we give up prospects for great talent. Just for fun, can you name a highly touted prospect we have traded away that ended up being worth a damn?

Bagwell for Anderson...sigh....

Anibal Sanchez was also part of that Beckett deal.

Another that comes to mind: Schilling (even though he eventually came back to the team)

I'm really not up on who we've got in the farm system who's a tradeable commodity - but I think the Yankees problem was that they neglected their farm system, leaving them with no one to play OR to trade for proven performance.

Theo's not done that - he's worked hard to develop players but knows that those guys are valuable commodities and will use them in trades - and will keep some in the hopes of getting affordable starters.

Half season rentals aside, anytime you can trade potential for a proven player who could be here long term, you do it - that's what the farm system is partially for.

Another that comes to mind: Schilling (even though he eventually came back to the team)

Bagwell and a helluva lot of steroids for Anderson

As far as Sanchez, there have been plenty of prospects who have flopped that we've traded for proven long-term players too

Not every player we let go will turn out to be awful - I'm ok with that as long as we got something good in return.

Sanchez was lost... so what?

We got Josh Beckett and we acquired Mike Lowell ---> We won the WS in 2007
Lowell won WS MVP just sayin. Sanchez was a necessary loss.

I'm really not up on who we've got in the farm system who's a tradeable commodity - but I think the Yankees problem was that they neglected their farm system, leaving them with no one to play OR to trade for proven performance.

Theo's not done that - he's worked hard to develop players but knows that those guys are valuable commodities and will use them in trades - and will keep some in the hopes of getting affordable starters.

Half season rentals aside, anytime you can trade potential for a proven player who could be here long term, you do it - that's what the farm system is partially for.
That's the thing. I know the Sox hit more than they miss with these sorts of trades. I'd like to see the Red Sox re-establish an excellent farm system in the event of a González quality player becoming available on the market.

I know it seems like we missed with Lackey but I'm hoping his personal turmoil is the reason he's been up and down. This is why I wouldn't mind the Sox going after some pitching. But who do we have to offer?

I don't want to be in that perennial we've only got a couple of assets every year to barter with. I'm sure the Sox don't either.

Last edited:

The bagwell deal is bad mainly in hindsight, as he was #3 on the depth chart. I'm pretty sure he wasn't the power hitter in the minors that he wound up being (and I guess we now know part of how that wound up occurring...)

That said, I'd hope the Sox aren't dealing any more legit prospects for set-up men (as valuable as set-up men can be). :)

Schilling? eh... Boddicker was a legit starter, and Brady Anderson was the main attraction for Balto in that deal. Schilling had a good year or 2 but for the most part didn't hit his stride as a major league pitcher for nearly another decade.

Anibal Sanchez was a nice prospect. Jorge de la Rosa has had a couple good years. We'll see about Masterson. I was never big on Freddy Sanchez but he's stuck around for a long time.

Some of the catchers we've dealt have stuck around, though I don't remember exactly where in their careers they were: Shoppach, Hattiesburg, etc. David Murphy has been ok. Justin Duchscherer.

That's all I've got for now. :)

That's the thing. I know the Sox hit more than they miss with these sorts of trades. I'd like to see the Red Sox re-establish an excellent farm system in the event of a González quality player becoming available on the market.

I know it seems like we missed with Lackey but I'm hoping his personal turmoil is the reason he's been up and down. This is why I wouldn't mind the Sox going after some pitching. But who do we have to offer?

I don't want to be in that perennial we've only got a couple of assets every year to barter with. I'm sure the Sox don't either.

OT: what are Lackey's personal issues?

OT: what are Lackey's personal issues?

John Lackey’s wife fighting cancer

"Later, Lackey explained to WEEI.com that the “treatment” Krista Lackey was undergoing throughout the offseason was to combat breast cancer, which the Red Sox’ pitcher’s wife was diagnosed with just prior to Thanksgiving."
She's not been well for a while. It's why I've been trying to temper my disdain (unsuccessfully in more recent times I might add) with his 2011 pitching.

Last edited:
She's not been well for a while. It's why I've been trying to temper my disdain (unsuccessfully in more recent times I might add) with his 2011 pitching.

wow... was not aware of that -- surprised I hadn't heard it

thanks

i dont want anything to do with jose reyes. hes a guy like jed lowrie except worse. he cant stay on the field. you look at him the wrong way and hes on the dl. no thank you.

That's why bringing back Hanley Ramirez to Boston would be perfect. Great power, decent durablity. Defense is not as good as Reyes but boy does he have a great bat for the position.

Whatever happened to Lars Anderson? It's too bad we didn't move him when he had higher value. But still we might be able to use him as a trade chip in a deal for say Carlos Beltran. That would give us the right handed bat with pop that we need in the outfield.

That's why bringing back Hanley Ramirez to Boston would be perfect. Great power, decent durablity. Defense is not as good as Reyes but boy does he have a great bat for the position.

Whatever happened to Lars Anderson? It's too bad we didn't move him when he had higher value. But still we might be able to use him as a trade chip in a deal for say Carlos Beltran. That would give us the right handed bat with pop that we need in the outfield.

lars anderson is still in pawtucket[AAA] i saw him play down there a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
I don't like him. The Red Sox were the team he best team he handled. He is overpriced and do you really think we can afford that $$$? Lackey is a $$$ contract. What happens w/ future signings???

ERA W-L SO WHIP BAA
3.79 4-7 108 1.30 .246

do you really want to hand over prospects for that? He is 27 and that is the only good thing. We have Dice-K next year as well.

I don't see Garza.... HELLUVA nice 4th starter though:D

He's making $6MM this year and still has an arb year left. That's not even in the universe of overpriced.

He's making $6MM this year and still has an arb year left. That's not even in the universe of overpriced.

1 more arb year???? he that young?

as for expensive i meant propect needed to get him as well

Last edited:
We need a shortstop who is not a negative WPA machine.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back