PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Brady is a human being who likes having people he trusts around him. Stidham is probably a nice kid, but Brady in all likelihood looks at him as a child rather than colleague with the massive age difference. Hoyer is someone who Brady has developed a good working relationship with, so yes, I'd think Brady would want him around in some capacity.
So you are basing this on what you think the relationship is, what you think Brady thinks and the premise that after 20 years of saying and believing roster decision are none of his business he is going to draw a line in the sand so he has someone to talk to during breaks at practice?
For all we know Brady doesn’t even like Hoyer. Who knows?

Because Brady is a human being who likes having people he trusts around him. Stidham is probably a nice kid, but Brady in all likelihood looks at him as a child rather than colleague with the massive age difference. Hoyer is someone who Brady has developed a good working relationship with, so yes, I'd think Brady would want him around in some capacity.

Brady talks about trust a lot, but he's talking about trusting wide receivers to run the correct routes and not letting defenders beat them to the ball. I seriously doubt Belichick is going to keep a player around because Brady has a friendship with him.

Maybe Thomas, but I can’t imagine what Bill would do with a waste of roster space like Treadwell in an already crowded WR room.
These are backup plans especially if Gordon or Thomas doesn't pan out

Hmm. I'm not sure it is moronic. First, there is the fact Brady and Hoyer are known friends who -- just as a minor aside -- both went to college in Michigan (Brady at Michigan and Hoyer at State). Second, Hoyer got brought back after time away. This latter fact proves that Brady and Hoyer must have had a decent enough rapport during Hoyer's stint between 2009-11 for the team to bring him back (or Hoyer/Brady patched up any differences in the interim).

While Hoyer is not on the team because he makes Brady happy, I would bank on the team making some moves to keep the GOAT accompanied by at least a couple long-term friends/people he gets along with. Can you imagine being a 42 year old 6x NFL champion surrounded mostly by 22-30 year olds who are far less mature and accomplished? Having Hoyer and other veterans around provides Brady a few friendly faces and people who get him. When there is a 15-20 year age gap with most players, having a few guys closer in age can make a guy like Brady feel connected enough that he doesn't just throw his hands up and retire. AKA pull a Luck.

None of this seems to me like something BB would care much about given the constraints of a 53 man roster.

Hoyer is here because he was the ideal way to get a competent backup in exchange for JG at that point and has been on an absurdly value deal thanks to the 49ers and himself playing ball.

Once there is a better option in terms of potential or money Hoyer will be gone. It might even happen in a week if the team thinks that Stidham can get there quick enough. I don't see how "being friends with Brady" will substantially affect any of the math for BB here.

Last edited:
I still don't get why we don't offer Hoyer the chance to coach/consult for a decent salary. Him coaching keeps Brady happy while also opening up a roster spot. I honestly don't see Hoyer believing he can be a Super Bowl winning quarterback on his own, so a move to coaching (where he doesn't risk injury) seems like a win-win for everyone.

ps. I'd say keeping Brady happy by having Hoyer around is more important than a seventh round pick (maybe a sixth) we could get for him.

I like that as a trajectory, but Hoyer will likely stick around as long as he can as a player, here or elsewhere. Any coaching salary they could offer him would be pennies on the dollar of his contract as a player. And you can't make an exception without screwing up the rest of the coaching salary structure; there has to be some sense of equity built in based on experience and contribution level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down