Trade for Beckham - While Possible, Isn’t Practical; Look Elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Trade for Beckham, While Possible, Isn’t Practical, Look Elsewhere

Steve Balestrieri

His cap hit for the Patriots would be $17 million, a $16,750,000 base salary and a $250,000 workout bonus NY would eat his $4 million prorated signing bonus

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I would rather get a few guys from somewhere else. You could get three free agents with that much money??
And they wouldn't have the impact on the field combined that he would have by himself. Remember that we signed 27 different WRs at one point last season. It's not a coincidence that the one time Brady had a really top outside-threat WR he broke records and went undefeated in the regular season.

And they wouldn't have the impact on the field combined that he would have by himself. Remember that we signed 27 different WRs at one point last season. It's not a coincidence that the one time Brady had a really top outside-threat WR he broke records and went undefeated in the regular season.

Excellent point. He would be fun to watch and would be a weapon that would most likely do all that. I just don’t like him honestly.

We need WRs who are team players with personalities like Edelman's or Welker's or even Brady's, rather than prima donnas. Even Randy Moss wore thin on BB's nerves after a while and he was summarily cut. Would love to get the OBJ/TO/Moss/Antonio Brown skill set with the Edelman/Welker/Brady personality. I'm just not sure such a guy exists anywhere, in the NFL or the draft.

True, but even that guy's schtick wore thin around here...

We need WRs who are team players with personalities like Edelman's or Welker's or even Brady's, rather than prima donnas. Even Randy Moss wore thin on BB's nerves after a while and he was summarily cut. Would love to get the OBJ/TO/Moss/Antonio Brown skill set with the Edelman/Welker/Brady personality. I'm just not sure such a guy exists anywhere, in the NFL or the draft.

I don't think OBJ is in the same category as Antonio Brown. OBJ seems to worship Brady and I think would be a good fit personality-wise in NE. He would just shut up and do what he's told. His contract is the real problem.

Last edited:
I don't think OBJ is in the same category as Antonio Brown. OBJ seems to worship Brady and I think would be a good fit personality-wise in NE. He would just shut up and do what he's told. His contract the problem, however.
I don't know. I seem to remember him crying something similar to "just get me the damn ball," but maybe I am mistaken. The Brady worship is good, but Moss had that too. I guess getting him with the understanding that he might only be happy & productive for a year or two would be okay as Brady does need/deserve an elite receiver for his last couple (or maybe more!) years.

"Truthfully, all of the talk of the Patriots acquiring Antonio Brown is just that…talk. The Steelers would never send him to New England"

What if we make the best offer? Do the Steelers turn it down just to be spiteful?

What if no other team offers a #1 pick except the Patriots?

If the Patriots trade for a receiver, I expect it to be someone still on his rookie deal - a la Brandin Cooks. People keep throwing around AJ Green's name, and he might be available, but his cap hit would be >$12m and he's 31. He's had some injuries, but nothing catastrophic. Is Cincy even trading him?

If Sanders gets released and needs a prove it deal after his Achilles injury, that could work. I could see him signing here for around $8, which would include many ACTIVE ROSTER bonuses.

I could see Amendola coming back if MIami drops him.

They won't splash FA and lose a comp pick, I don't think, unless there's a hidden gem out there.

They won't splash FA and lose a comp pick, I don't think, unless there's a hidden gem out there.

At WR I agree. I could see a bigger signing at DE though if Flowers walks.

Excellent point. He would be fun to watch and would be a weapon that would most likely do all that. I just don’t like him honestly.
I hear you on his likability - he isn't the easiest player to like.

True, but even that guy's schtick wore thin around here...
It got him shipped out, which would be a high probability at some point for OBJ. But in the meantime he might get us to that seventh SB win.

Golden.

Tate.

You're welcome.

At this point, seems like a Danny Amendola type signing at best. I don't know what he could offer that we don't already have, other than extra depth in case Edelman goes down. Very expensive depth.

At this point, seems like a Danny Amendola type signing at best. I don't know what he could offer that we don't already have, other than extra depth in case Edelman goes down. Very expensive depth.

Tate had 800 yards in 15 games while splitting teams last year, and led the league in YAC.

He wouldn't be depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back