PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tracking BB's WR whiffs

Its not even whiffing on elite wr’s. All I want is steady, dependable wr’s. There’s something wrong with the drafting and development and long term evaluation of wr’s in NE. Beats the **** out of me what it is. It’s odd. The way the position is valued and handled is strange. I bought into letting Meyers go. Didn't realize we were going to get a slow as hell, unmotivated JJSS. I thought we were going to get a guy that could get some separation and yac. Boy was I wrong. Bill and Co. appear to have been as well. TT has been a mess. Boutte seemed to surprise then did something to get put into the dog house. There goes his development for a while. Parker just flat out sucks. Let’s lock him up! Idk guys. Im just ranting. Frustrated af. I’m gonna go play some Madden and fix this team myself. :maybenot::D
LACK OF PICKING WRs.

It's not a mystery really. We don't use enough picks on WRs.

How can you develop a guy if you don't draft him in the first place?

Free Agency is not the place to get WRs.

Not in the real world.

Lol. The offense ran through Gronk who gave Edelman favorable coverage. Teams would get so frustrated they'd have to put their #1 CB on Gronk.

Bill thinks his system/scheme is superior to the players given how many guys he's let walk over the years. It's clear he doesn't think they are that good. Rumor was he was a Mac defender, but I think the lateral was the nail in the coffin. Throwing it back to your QB leaving him dead to rights for the defense was one of the dumbest football plays in history. That's not how Bill coaches these guys up.
I can't think of WR we've let go who has gone on to do as well elsewhere other than Welker? Meyers remains to be seen. Maybe Amendola.

Hogan, Stallworth, Lloyd, Moss, Branch, Caldwell, Gaffney, help me out here. Who?

Seems to me the guys who were let go were mostly doing so well because of Brady.

I never really hated letting ANY of these WRs go other than Branch, and Branch didn't do that well in Seattle.

I love the guys Bill brings in who are clearly well passed it or never really had it - Chad Johnson, Chris Calloway, Joey Galloway, Reggie Wayne, David Terrell, Demariyus Thomas, Donald Hayes...there's plenty of others that I can't remember

Even Edelman just said Bill has whiffed on WR's. Bomb dropped.

The Homers would say Edelman doesn't know what he's talking about happy days are here.

I can't think of WR we've let go who has gone on to do as well elsewhere other than Welker? Meyers remains to be seen. Maybe Amendola.

Hogan, Stallworth, Lloyd, Moss, Branch, Caldwell, Gaffney, help me out here. Who?

Seems to me the guys who were let go were mostly doing so well because of Brady.

I never really hated letting ANY of these WRs go other than Branch, and Branch didn't do that well in Seattle.
I was referring to in players general, not just WR's.

Except Jump Ball Joe isn't elite.
Animated GIF

Not in the real world.

Lol. The offense ran through Gronk who gave Edelman favorable coverage. Teams would get so frustrated they'd have to put their #1 CB on Gronk.

Gronk was sitting on the sidelines in 2016 when we won a SB.

I think we all know how 2019 whiffs such a Deebo, Metcalf, and Brown are doing [gawd, was painful to watch Deebo last weekend] but how about the more recent whiffs?

Jacobi Meyers certainly looked good last night; every time he caught a pass, I died a little. How is DeAndre Hopkins doing? How about Braxton Berrios? Pickens?
1697156646005.gif

FFS, how many threads have already covered this topic over the past 3 years?

Note to a certain segment of the posters here:
Not every negative voice in your head requires a new thread, especially if it has already been discussed ad nauseam here. If necessary, write your thoughts down in your diary or send them in an email to yourself. The percentage of **** threads here continues to slowly creep up.

View attachment 53625

FFS, how many threads have already covered this topic over the past 3 years?

Note to a certain segment of the posters here:
Not every negative voice in your head requires a new thread, especially if it has already been discussed ad nauseam here. If necessary, write your thoughts down in your diary or send them in an email to yourself. The percentage of **** threads here continues to slowly creep up.

Upcoming thread titles:

Poll: How BAD do you feel about this awful team?

Rating Belichick's worst games

Should Kraft sell the Patriots?

Great idea: fan group proposes wearing bags on heads at Gillette

Online petition to trade Mac before league deadline

If I had to guess, it has something to do with the lateral to nowhere play that cost them a game last year. Is BB that petty? Probably.

I mean the guy benched Malcolm Butler a whole Superbowl while we were getting massacred on defense...

Also benched welker in a playoff game (we lost as well) for making foot jokes.

Also was ready to trade Gronk to Detroit in 2018 with no contingency plan which would've 100% cost us a Superbowl.

So cutting a reliable receiver for a lemon in juju because of one bad play isn't out of the realm

Last edited:
LACK OF PICKING WRs.

It's not a mystery really. We don't use enough picks on WRs.

How can you develop a guy if you don't draft him in the first place?

Free Agency is not the place to get WRs.

Bill just doesn't value elite receivers. Never has. In 2023 you aren't going to have a good offense going after the likes of juju/parker/Bourne as your #1 guys.

You either need to draft a guy. Or luck out and trade capital for an elite guy like the eagles and Dolphins did.

I think both teams are very happy they did.

I know WR’s have been tough but there seems to be a good deal of praise for DB’s. But check out this list of 2nd round picks:

Joejuan Williams
Duke Dawson
Cyrus Jones
Jordan Richards
Tavon Wilson
Ras-I Darling
Darias Butler
Terrance Wheatley

Folks have a fairly selective memory around here. Elite WRs got them exactly zero super bowls. Not saying they don't need one now, but then it was a different NFL.

It's funny you say that, it's accurate that elite WRs got the team zero SBs yet Belichick has drafted 2 WRs that won SB MVP.

iu
iu

Bill just doesn't value elite receivers. Never has. In 2023 you aren't going to have a good offense going after the likes of juju/parker/Bourne as your #1 guys.

You either need to draft a guy. Or luck out and trade capital for an elite guy like the eagles and Dolphins did.

I think both teams are very happy they did.
They don't grow on trees.

To say they don't want one seems absurd to me. They wanted Cooks, they wanted Moss, they tried to sign Boldin, they tried to sign Mason.

They drafted Harry, Thornton, if they didn't want a top guy, they wouldn't have done that.

They've even spent the same draft capital the Phins and Eagles did on trades. Cooks cost as much as those guys in Miami and Philly.

Here's the difference though: AJ Brown and Jalen Hurts are best friends. Hurts was sitting next to Brown when Brown was drafted. Tyreek wanted to go to Miami. These guys pick their teams because they have expiring contracts.

Let's look at Tee Higgins this year. They'll go after him; they can even offer top money. Does he want to come here given the Patriots QB siutation? Doubt it.

I mean the guy benched Malcolm Butler a whole Superbowl while we were getting massacred on defense...

Also benched welker in a playoff game (we lost as well) for making foot jokes.

Also was ready to trade Gronk to Detroit in 2018 with no contingency plan which would've 100% cost us a Superbowl.

So cutting a reliable receiver for a lemon in juju because of one bad play isn't out of the realm
And for 20 years the team had remarkable discipline out of Adalius Thomas. What does it mean when a coach consistently holds these standards, even if they're strict? Maybe it means player will rise to that level. You're not accounting for how many games they won, even Super Bowls, by the Patriots insisting that players never freelance or goof off. Do Your Job tells them to do the opposite of freelancing. To be team first players.

I don't know how much TB80's contributed to this current poop show ( :( ), but I'd bet the farm that he hand picked DD and made a huge case. Considering Branch said the Pats should draft AJB or DK, and that Edelman said he knew the 1st rounder [N'Keal] was crap as soon as he walked in the door tells me they might know a thing or 2 about the subject. I'm all for WRs picking the WRs. Now I'm gonna go see whom Moss likes (and his history of prospect evals to see if there's any legitimacy to all this).

It's funny you say that, it's accurate that elite WRs got the team zero SBs yet Belichick has drafted 2 WRs that won SB MVP.

iu
iu
Both players were good receivers and great in our system but were not elite.

iu
iu
Edelman wasn't drafted.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST