PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tracking BB's WR whiffs

So Chad Jackson wasn’t a one-off thing, you’re telling me?

The main problem is that we don't draft ENOUGH WRs. You can criticize Belichick for that.

Also deserves criticism for taking Tyquan over Pickens.

But if you don't put everything in context, you'll be miserable.

6 WRs were taken before Pickens. Most of them are doing nothing, some are busts. Treylon Burks taken at #18 looks awful. Most of the league passed on Pickens twice.

Yes, AJ Brown, Deebo and Metcalf are great, there were also another 5 guys taken before Metcalf who busted. Arcega Arside, Harry, Campbell, Isabella or one other who I forget. That 35% will BUST in the first 2 rounds is normal for these drafts. Hell, we have guys like Reagor on our team!!

The problem is volume. Need more WR picks. But for every pick we make, you'll have to look at the players and erase the guys we have taken. So, Flowers instead of Gonzalez? Who do you take in the 2nd round instead of Keion White?

Great WRs rarely come out in free agency, that's been true the last several years. I hope Tee Higgins is available to us, but we'll have to overpay for him because we have a miserable QB right now.

Not sure what the point is on Berrios. Would you trade Boutte or Douglas for him? I wouldn't. Rather go for potential than middling 4th-5th WR type.

For a full 10 years, the Patriots only spent 1 pick in the top 3 rounds on WR. That's painful. Look at all the time that passed between 3rd rounder Taylor Price and 1st rounder Harry. In those 10 years, we only spent ONE SINGLE pick in the first 3 rounds, and that was 2nd rounder Dobson. Between Dobson and Harry, we spent 2 picks on WR in rounds 1-6!!! 4th rounder Malcolm Mitchell and 6th rounder Berrios.

It's a volume thing.

As for Jakobi vs. Smith-Schuster thing, I was firmly on Team Jakobi. I was in the minority. I went back and looked at that thread. The vast majority favored JuJu. Jlboot (sorry, messed up his screenmame) was the main guy analyzing why Jakobi would always be better. Most of the posters here were calling Meyers a #3 at best. It's crazy that we're making this whole post over what many deemed a #3 WR.

So we are counting guys we failed to draft as whiffs? or free agents we didn't sign?

Meyers - definitely a huge error in not re-signing him... but that's something ive been saying all along... You want to keep guys like Meyers on the roster...

Braxton Berrios - as a WR? Meh... more of a special teamer than wr... people forget he made the team in '18, but spent the season on IR...

Im really pissed we havent traded for Puka, Diggs, Jefferson, Lamb etc... How dare BB not trade for these guys - we have the cap space... he just hates good wide receivers :mad:

what a stupid ass thread.
Let's stick to the present. Who's the best WR they have and how's he doing? How about QBs? The OL? the TEs? The sad fact is that the man buying the groceries has been giving some of the groceries away to his neighbors and now the offensive cupboard is bare and we're stuck eating spam sandwiches while the rest of our neighbors get our prime beef.

The thought that fans need to grin and bear it and just let it continue the way it is is a ridiculous one to me. It's CLEARLY time for him to move on and the only question is when will it happen.

I'll also be excited to see what the new guy brings. Belichick wasn't very highly thought of by some here and he worked out okay. Maybe the next guy will too.

over it whatever GIF

Looks like we need at least one more thread on how much Bill sucks.
This horse is VERY much still alive, as WR is one of the weakest links on the team to this day and a is large reason why they are one of the worst teams in the NFL. Bill the GM leaves much to be desired.

I've been saying this for years. BB is the best coach of all time, and knows more about football than anyone alive.
But, that doesn't mean he is also not super stubborn, has a huge ego, and a massive capacity for holding grudges and carrying out vendettas.

And those things have bit us in the butt the last 5 years.

Its not even whiffing on elite wr’s. All I want is steady, dependable wr’s. There’s something wrong with the drafting and development and long term evaluation of wr’s in NE. Beats the **** out of me what it is. It’s odd. The way the position is valued and handled is strange. I bought into letting Meyers go. Didn't realize we were going to get a slow as hell, unmotivated JJSS. I thought we were going to get a guy that could get some separation and yac. Boy was I wrong. Bill and Co. appear to have been as well. TT has been a mess. Boutte seemed to surprise then did something to get put into the dog house. There goes his development for a while. Parker just flat out sucks. Let’s lock him up! Idk guys. Im just ranting. Frustrated af. I’m gonna go play some Madden and fix this team myself. :maybenot::D

This horse is VERY much still alive, as WR is one of the weakest links on the team to this day and a is large reason why they are one of the worst teams in the NFL. Bill the GM leaves much to be desired.
It's not. It's beat to death here in this forum, yet we just need to have one more place to ***** on how much Bill sucks.

*not defending Bill, even a little. We 100% do not need another Bill Sucks Thread, and the WR subject in particular has been talked about ad nauseum. Bill's track record over his entire career stands as example on how he views, evaluates, drafts and develops WRs. It was his Achilles heel long before now, and it remains so. But let's just have one more freakin' thread on it, because we are mad at him and he just sucks.

Let's stick to the present. Who's the best WR they have and how's he doing? How about QBs? The OL? the TEs? The sad fact is that the man buying the groceries has been giving some of the groceries away to his neighbors and now the offensive cupboard is bare and we're stuck eating spam sandwiches while the rest of our neighbors get our prime beef.

The thought that fans need to grin and bear it and just let it continue the way it is is a ridiculous one to me. It's CLEARLY time for him to move on and the only question is when will it happen.

I'll also be excited to see what the new guy brings. Belichick wasn't very highly thought of by some here and he worked out okay. Maybe the next guy will too.
I am so sick of the buying the groceries crap. It's complete bs because if he offered someone like Hopkins a huge deal, he'd get ripped... Let him walk elsewhere, he gets ripped.

And I am the guy who banged the drum all off season to bring Meyers back. Moreso than anyone else screeching about groceries week in week out.

Edelman was elite
Not in the real world.
Don't be stupid. The guy made our offense run.
Lol. The offense ran through Gronk who gave Edelman favorable coverage. Teams would get so frustrated they'd have to put their #1 CB on Gronk.
Edelman really likes Meyers. I wonder why Bill dumped him? He was a good WR at a discount.
Bill thinks his system/scheme is superior to the players given how many guys he's let walk over the years. It's clear he doesn't think they are that good. Rumor was he was a Mac defender, but I think the lateral was the nail in the coffin. Throwing it back to your QB leaving him dead to rights for the defense was one of the dumbest football plays in history. That's not how Bill coaches these guys up.

It's not. It's beat to death here in this forum, yet we just need to have one more place to ***** on how much Bill sucks.

*not defending Bill, even a little. We 100% do not need another Bill Sucks Thread, and the WR subject in particular has been talked about ad nauseum. Bill's track record over his entire career stands as example on how he views, evaluates, drafts and develops WRs. It was his Achilles heel long before now, and it remains so. But let's just have one more freakin' thread on it, because we are mad at him and he just sucks.
Like I said in a different thread, it's catharctic. Not much else to do after 2 straight history making beatdowns for the GOAT coach except b!tch and moan about anything and everything, including things that continue to suck... and I'm a 20-0 at the beginning of the season IBBWT kindof guy.

Like I said in a different thread, it's catharctic. Not much else to do after 2 straight history making beatdowns for the GOAT coach except b!tch and moan about anything and everything, including things that continue to suck... and I'm a 20-0 at the beginning of the season IBBWT kindof guy.
I appreciate the even handed take, I am just sick of all the BS. I need to put more threads and more dudes on ignore. It's like "oh look, here's another thread on how Bill sucks at _______". I'm over it.
If Joe flacco is elite, then je11 is elite
Except Jump Ball Joe isn't elite.

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back