PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top ten prospect Shane Ray arrested and cited for possession of marijuana

Confession time: I absolutely loved the Meriweather pick. I thought he was an absolute stud at Miami. I'm going to get laughed at for this, and deservedly so, but he was my favorite DB in that draft and felt at the time that we got a steal. I honestly thought BB would coach the knucklehead out of him and that he would become an All-Pro.

God. I threw up in my mouth just writing that. Now, please excuse me while I go stab myself in the neck with a spork.:eek:

Hahaha

Meriweather was the only pick the Pats made at the top of the 2007 draft, and you can tell from their draft activity after him that they REALLY didn't like that draft class. They traded their second 1st rounder forward into 2008 (became Mayo), they traded their 2nd rounder to Miami for Welker, they traded their 3rd rounder into 2008 (became Brace and Slater), and a 4th rounder for Randy Moss.

In other words they tried really hard not to draft anyone meaningful that year. In fact, I wonder if they didn't reach a bit for Meriweather, relaxed their draft standards slightly to accommodate the crappy draft class. I like to believe Meriweather was drafted for the draft day media and the fans...someone for the photo-op with Bob and Jonathan. And then, as a secondary consideration, as a likely starter. But Meriweather was never a great fit for the scheme, culture and mindset of the team, and BB must have known all along.

Just imagine the public response if the Pats hadn't drafted a single player in 2007 before the 4th round? And after starting with 2 first round picks, to draft no one at all? There would have been a mob in Foxboro, looting and setting fire to cars.

Somewhat going OT here, but didn't Merriweather start a huge fight in game in college one year? Also wasn't he involved in a neighborhood shooting? I swore I remember reading that at the time.

That's what I was referring to in my last sentence. I'm not necessarily sure that he started the on field brawl, but yes--he certainly took major part in it by stomping on a player's helmet.

I don't know anything about him being involved in a neighborhood shooting, though.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back