PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Top 64: What Are Your First 4 Picks?? *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my current mock through 5 rounds. I think our 6th round pick (from New Orleans) will go to KC for Jarrod Page. It was conditional and since he has been hurt and not playing I think it will drop from a 5th to a 6th.

1A. Brandon Harris - CB Miami

brandon-harris.jpg

Considering the fact that BB has never taken an OLB in the 1st round because they have a high bust rate and that he also generally selects three down players this early, I think Harris will be the pick if available. Harris is a good all around corner that can play both the run and shut down rolls and can get off blocks. McCourty has been better than expected this year and Bodden is due back next year but every other CB has issues (Butler – Regression, Wilhite – Average CB, Arrington – ST guy). Butler will get one more year to make the roster and it would be great if he could get back to his rookie form but another CB needs to be added.

1B. Stefan Wisniewski – C/G Penn State

wisniewski_P.jpg

Center of the future but can play Guard until then and replace Stephen Neal if he retires or Mankins if he moves on. Last year the draft class was used to bring youth to the Defense (3rd youngest in the league). This year the offense gets its youth injection starting in the trenches. The OL prospects from last year got picked up by other teams after final cuts (Larsen – TB, Welch – Min) so the cupboard is a little bare. Connolly has shown that he can be a starter but I think he would be better utilized as the main OL Backup. Levoir and Ojinnaka are journeyman type guys that could use upgrading. Ohrnberger (Penn State) and Wendell are still developing.

2A. Mikel LeShoure – RB Illinois

Mikel+Leshoure.jpg

LeShoure is the potential breakout RB of the 2011 draft class and the big back (6-1, 230lbs) that we need to get the run game up to snuff. Has nice combination of power and speed. Since Ingram will be long gone before the 1A pick now this will be a nice substitute at the top of round 2. Lawfirm and Woody have carried the load this year along with two Methuselah’s (Morris, Taylor) that won’t be back next year. LeShoure and a value free agent back should sustain the running game for years to come.

2B. Jared Crick – DE/DT Nebraska

jared-crick.jpg

Versatile DL that can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4 which BB likes. Hasn’t played up to his 2009 standards (12.5 TFL, 9.5 Sacks) without N. Suh as his side or else would have been an easy top 15 pick. Fortunately the Pats have one of the best NT in the league in Wilfork to take pressure off him. So I think this is a very good value pick and could have high returns if Deaderick and Brace continue to improve making the DL rotation a strength and not a weakness.

3A. Rahim Moore – FS UCLA

rahim-moore.jpg

Moore had 10 picks in 2009. He’s regressed a little this year which will drop him a little in the draft but has the talent to succeed in the league given some time. Fortunately the Pats are loaded at S so he should have that time to develop. Chung has made great strides this year and should anchor the SS position for years to come. Meriweather’s contract is up after 2011 so he may need to be replaced eventually. Sanders has helped out this year mainly due to all the injuries to the other Safeties but he is scheduled to earn $2.8 Mil in 2011 which is high for a backup. There are still questions about Page, Brown, Barrett, Lockett and McGowan so making a pick for the future here would be smart.

3B. Steven Friday DE/OLB – Virginia Tech

stevenfriday-i1.jpg

Has good burst and speed off the edge but also can drop into coverage and has the range the Pats are looking for. Finally getting a chance to show his skills this year and hasn’t disappointed. Had good game against top LT candidate Castonzo from Boston College (2 Sacks). Has cooled off a little after collecting 4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles early but that is because he’s been drawing double teams once teams recognized his speed. Will be 25 yrs old his Rookie season.

4. Clint Boling – G/T Georgia

ncf_g_boling1_sw_576.jpg

Primarily a Guard but can also play LT. Adds needed depth to the OL and could be an eventually replacement for Neal/Light. Fast for his size. Good prospect for Scar to mold.

5. DeAndre Brown – WR Southern Miss

R+L+Carriers+New+Orleans+Bowl+Southern+Miss+pNgdEaz0sBzl.jpg

Somewhat of an injury concern after a leg injury but so was Brandon Tate. If you are looking for a tall (6-6), fast (4.48) and big (239lbs) receiver you can’t get much better. Depending on how Taylor Price develops this offseason I could see the Pats spending a mid round pick on a high upside guy like Brown.

Very creative and eclectic crew, sir. My compliments. :cool:

* Sign Vincent Jackson

1a) Robert Quinn (I can dream, can't I?) - OLB

Duke+v+North+Carolina+XtoGaTiZn9_l.jpg

2) Allen Bailey - DE

bailey.jpg

2a) Mark Barron - S

utbama_atb_08_t607.jpg

2b) Clint Boling - G

ncf_g_boling1_sw_576.jpg

3a) Ryan Winterswyk - OLB

Ryan+Winterswyk+Boise+State+v+Virginia+Tech+URmzUeUcwCcl.jpg

4a) Ricky Stanzi/Nathan Enderle - QB

stanzi.jpg

4b) Zane Taylor - C

OB-EH185_offthe_G_20090820160425.jpg

5) Marcus Gilbert - T/G

140651.jpg

6) Owen Marecic - FB

la_g_marecic01_576.jpg

7) Da'Rel Scott - RB

24985084.JPG

Oh YEAH!! Top 5 are ALL Defenders or Grizzlies or BOTH!! LOVE it!!

Very creative and eclectic crew, sir. My compliments. :cool:

Thanks. I especially like the Harris and Moore pics. Lots of air there.

Unless Boling has a tremendous Combine he is a 4th-6th round pick. After the top 2-3 Guards are off the board teams usually take a while to get back to picking those positions. As an example Rich Ohrnberger was the 4th guard off the board in 2009 and he was picked in the middle of round 4 by the Pats.

In 2010 there were three Guards picked in Rnds 1-3 and only nine got drafted out of 255 players.

There are at least 4 Guards higher rated than Boling for 2011. Pouncey, Marcus Cannon (TCU), Moffitt (Wis), and Hudson (FSU). There are lots of C/G hybrids this year as well.

Last edited:
Oh YEAH!! Top 5 are ALL Defenders or Grizzlies or BOTH!! LOVE it!!

I don't know how likely that draft is but if we could pull off something close that I think we'd have the building blocks of another dynasty.

Maybe you should start a new thread for late round/undrafted gems, that could be interesting.

Maybe you should start a new thread for late round/undrafted gems, that could be interesting.

What an absolutely great idea.

In fact, I've been thinking about rolling out 3 Consolidation Threads ~ 1 each to Track + Pool our ideas for O Lines, D Lines, and Flankers ~ by December, and that is a great idea for a fourth. :cool:

I'm officially interested in Randall Cobb out of Kentucky, not only is her dying for the nickname "Tex" but he could also potentially be our version of Brad Smith, a do everything utility player that would be prefect for various trick plays.

I have seen Cobb as well but he's a much better athlete then Brad Smith.

I have seen Cobb as well but he's a much better athlete then Brad Smith.

Very nice, I'll then trade that 2nd round pick back a little and pick up an additional pick in the 3rd-4th round to grab Cobb. I also like that he's a left hander, that will better enable a throw on a reverse to the left.

Nothing like an October Mock draft to get the blood flowing.

Round 1 - DE, Cameron Jordan (California) 6-4/285/
Round 1 - OLB - Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue) 6-4/263
Round 2 - OT - Nate Solder (Colorado) 6-8/315
Round 2 - OG - Steve Schilling (Michigan) 6-5/304

I reviseted my late September Top 64 selections ( Cam Heyward , Marvin Austin , Orlando Franklin , Lee Ziemba ) when I found this. WOW !
My hats off to you,cstjohn17 .

Nate Solder has got fail written all over him.

Top 4 would be;

#17 Justin Houston OLB-Georgia
#28 Muhammed Wilkerson DE-Temple
#33 Stefen Wisniewski C-Penn State
#60 Torrey Smith WR-University of Maryland

I'm not sure #28 or #60 would still be there, but that's the ideal situation in my mind.

17. JJ Watt or Aldon Smith

28. Muhammad Wilkerson or Justin Houston

33. Ben Ijalana

60. John Moffitt

Nate Solder has got fail written all over him.

Top 4 would be;

#17 Justin Houston OLB-Georgia
#28 Muhammed Wilkerson DE-Temple
#33 Stefen Wisniewski C-Penn State
#60 Torrey Smith WR-University of Maryland

I'm not sure #28 or #60 would still be there, but that's the ideal situation in my mind.

I honestly think that Houston has fail written all over him... everyone looks good on highlight tape but when i saw him practicing at the senior bowl he seemed to be very easily taken care of by those tackles he was up against one on one.

I am hoping

1A: aldon smith/watt/jordan
1B: Pouncey, Ingram (on sheer value if people let the 4.62 go to their head),Wilkerson or corey liuget, you can also add in if one of the OT's fall (unlikely)

Preference Surprisingly would be Smith then Pouncey just because i think both could help day one in areas pats struggled at times. But wouldn't be to unhappy with anyone of the of the names i mentioned

1a) DE JJ Watt
1b) OLB Justin Houston
2a) OT Gabe Carimi
2b) OLB Brooks Reed

I'm not totally in love with Houston but I think he's decent, he fits, he fills a need and 1b is about the right place for him.

I have serious doubts Carimi would make it to 2a but that's my hope.

A month ago I was thinking 2b is at least a round high for Reed. I thought he was a sleeper. But unfortunately he's too well known now. I still think he's worth it here.

17. Jordan,Watt,Miller,Smith,Clayborn,Amukamara,Heyward,Darreus,Wilkerson. I'm not picky.
28 Depends on 17 or if one of the above are still there at 28.
33 Again, depends on 17 and 28. if they go skill position I like Hankerson and Ingram.
60.depends. If they do not go with a DE I like Jarvis Jenkins. Too early but can't risk losing him as he is probably the best player in this draft to replace Gerard Warren.

:eek:

I could live with any of these picks:

17. JJ Watt or Cam Jordan

28. Muhammad Wilkerson or Cam Heyward or Justin Houston

33. K.J. Wright or Ben Ijalana or Stefen Wisniewski

60. John Moffitt or Marcus Cannon or Shane Vereen

75. Colin Kaepernick or Clint Boling or Quinton Carter

92. Greg Romeus or Steven Friday or Jamie Harper

I honestly think that Houston has fail written all over him... everyone looks good on highlight tape but when i saw him practicing at the senior bowl he seemed to be very easily taken care of by those tackles he was up against one on one.

I am hoping

1A: aldon smith/watt/jordan
1B: Pouncey, Ingram (on sheer value if people let the 4.62 go to their head),Wilkerson or corey liuget, you can also add in if one of the OT's fall (unlikely)

Preference Surprisingly would be Smith then Pouncey just because i think both could help day one in areas pats struggled at times. But wouldn't be to unhappy with anyone of the of the names i mentioned

I lost a lot of my man crush for Houston today.

Revised list;

#17-Aldon Smith
#28-Muhammed Wilkerson
#33-Stefen Wisinewski

17-Corey Liuget

28-Derreck Sherrod

33-Ben Ijalana or Pouncey or Watkins in this order

60-Curtis Brown

75-Jabaal Sheard

Then best available running back(maybe vereen, cant really decide)

Three assumptions: Watt is off the board before #17, Patriots resign Light, and Mankins plays 2011 then is gone

#17 Pouncy G/C.........replaces Neal at RG in '11 with versatilty at center. With huge potential void in the center of line with an aging Koppen and Mankins one and done, the Pats need a blue chipper in the middle to protect Brady. it doesn't hurt that Pouncy shares DNA with a rookie ALL PRO.

#28 Wilkerson DL....a natually big man with athleticism...huge shoulders...has the size that fits Patriots DL prototype vs the likes a Cameron Jordan. Strength to lock up two blockers...great fit

#33 A trade down opportunity that ultimately leads to Jabaal Sheard DE/OLB (#40s). Has size, speed. Off field questions may drop him some slots. Fact is, he locked up his adversary and threw him threw an art gallery window...showed leverage and accuracy. This pick would be a luxory with an eye on 3rd down improvement

#60 Trade out for a 2012 pick (#2 plus a late '11 pick)

Last edited:
Three assumptions: Watt is off the board before #17, Patriots resign Light, and Mankins plays 2011 then is gone

#17 Pouncy G/C.........replaces Neal at RG in '11 with versatilty at center. With huge potential void in the center of line with an aging Koppen and Mankins one and done, the Pats need a blue chipper in the middle to protect Brady. it doesn't hurt that Pouncy shares DNA with a rookie ALL PRO.

#28 Wilkerson DL....a natually big man with athleticism...huge shoulders...has the size that fits Patriots DL prototype vs the likes a Cameron Jordan. Strength to lock up two blockers...great fit

#33 A trade down opportunity that ultimately leads to Jabaal Sheard DE/OLB (#40s). Has size, speed. Off field questions may drop him some slots. Fact is, he locked up his adversary and threw him threw an art gallery window...showed leverage and accuracy. This pick would be a luxory with an eye on 3rd down improvement

I like the idea on Pouncey, as BB has said, you can always get another Guard. Stick Pouncey at guard for the time being and maybe develop him as a Center on the side.

Assuming we don't move up. I can see it playing out like that. Jordan isn't dropping to 17. Maybe Watt. Probably not after combine.
Might be Ryan Kerrigan. But, I've given up hope of us ever drafting an olb in Round 1. I think an OL will be the highest rated on our board. My hunch is Nate Solder. Want those bookends on the line to protect Brady. I like the Wilkerson pick. Sheard did get off of the field errr...sidewalk on 3rd and long. His 4.70 surprised me. I like Randall Cobb at 60. I don't see Branch back after this year, or in a lesser role. Need a replacement in waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back