PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 dissapointing players in the Brady/BB era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad Johnson rates super high on my list . . . 15 receptions in a season?! Didn't Dobson and Thompkins both finish with well past those numbers in their rookie seasons? Think of that . . . Dobson, people. LOL

Just a quick note, Tanbass has been removed from the thread. Busy day at work and then had some things to do when I got home and finally had some free time, so my apologies for not jumping on and spotting it sooner. Hopefully that will help get the thread back on topic.

Off topic post removed by poster.

Last edited:
Just a quick note, Tanbass has been removed from the thread. Busy day at work and then had some things to do when I got home and finally had some free time, so my apologies for not jumping on and spotting it sooner. Hopefully that will help get the thread back on topic.

I read this a little too late. Feel free to throw any of my related posts in the trash.

I read this a little too late. Feel free to throw any of my related posts in the trash.
The main reason was primarily because the original post was unrelated to the main topic and some of the comments - which I haven't deleted and purposely left them - ignited a lot of the hostile back and forth between several users which was why I handled it that way. I don't condone some of what took place from the people who got on him, but it got nastier, including on his part, than it needed to be long before other people jumped in on it. So at that point, I elected to end it before it went any further.

Last edited:
We went through a stretch of time where we were always short of Linebackers and signed Chard Brown.

OMG, you reminded me. Monty Beisel. I've seen receivers who avoided contact, but not linebackers. He used to run out of the way so blockers and running backs wouldn't hurt him. His wife was hot and probably also a better tackler.

OMG, you reminded me. Monty Beisel. I've seen receivers who avoided contact, but not linebackers. He used to run out of the way so blockers and running backs wouldn't hurt him. His wife was hot and probably also a better tackler.

Amazing the power of the human mind to edit out unpleasant memories -- got to post 128 before old Monty came into anyone's thoughts.

I've got slight sympathy for him. He wasn't exactly a star player before, and no one knew that Bruschi would go down the way that he did. But the drop-off in the defense was terrible.

Reactions: Ian
Most disappointing player HAS to be Adalius Thomas. BB "backed the Brinks truck up" for him ($20 million guaranteed) and, not only did he not perform to expectations, he ended up undermining the morale of the defense.

Maybe it's Bill's failure -- AD was certainly a good player for Baltimore -- but it set back the Pats for years.

• Agree
Amazing the power of the human mind to edit out unpleasant memories -- got to post 128 before old Monty came into anyone's thoughts.

I've got slight sympathy for him. He wasn't exactly a star player before, and no one knew that Bruschi would go down the way that he did. But the drop-off in the defense was terrible.

We went low budget at linebacker but please. I actually saw him run away because blockers and a running back were headed his way.

A linebacker! Tackling is pretty much required at that position.

The Bruschi thing was unreal. My wife and I were on vacation celebrating our 10th anniversary when that happened and I remember being horrified when I saw the news of his stroke come across the ticker. It was a miracle he came back and played for as long as he did, a lot of guys wouldn't have been able to come back from that, let alone play for a few more years.

We went low budget at linebacker but please. I actually saw him run away because blockers and a running back were headed his way.

A linebacker! Tackling is pretty much required at that position.

Oh yes, I remember it well.

Monty "Olé!" Beisel. ;)

• Ha Ha
I would go Easley, Adalius, Jackson, Maroney, Chad Johnson, Duane Starks, then probably Ras-I. Easley is the worst to me because he couldn't stay on the field on top of being somewhat of a head case apparently. One of the oddest picks all around in the BB era. Odd scheme fit, odd personality, bad knees, and bad attitude and all of this seemed to be out there before he was drafted.

Adalius has to be up there as he was really the only major splash FA signing Bill ever made (that was a big name at the time of the signing). I remember hearing about how he could play any LB spot as well as DE and even safety. He played well in '07 especially when Rosie went down but things seemed to go downhill fast with injuries and the whole snowstorm ordeal.

Jackson I thought was going to be what Bethel Johnson was supposed to be and couldn't even manage that. As for Chad Johnson I thought there was something left in the tank and physically maybe there was but he was too simple to understand how to play receiver in our system but I will always respect him for keeping quiet and doing what Bill asked as far as the media aspect.

Maroney was a bust but I don't feel like he was as bad as most people do. He just wasn't a full workhorse guy in a time where having a workhorse was the norm. He needed to be paired with Marion Barber or Corey Dillion and be more of a 10-15 carry guy as opposed to a 20ish carry guy. When he took over as the lead guy he couldn't take the pounding and it seemed to affect him mentally as well as physically.

Duane Starks was one of the worst Patriots I remember watching in the BB era. He couldn't cover anyone and drove me crazy. Ras-I is similar to Easley in that he was a major injury risk before he was drafted and couldn't get on the field.

Some honorable mentions: Jermaine Cunningham (esp since Urban apparently told Bill to take Carlos Dunlap instead), Terrence Wheatley, and Ron Brace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back