SOURCE:Boston.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Redskins
Thu
Aug 9th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Pats Like Leaders
Malcolm Mitchell has been among quite a few players in recent years the Patriots have targeted who were leaders on their respective teams

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Tomlin already thinking about the Pats

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by wolverinejoe80, Nov 27, 2017.

1. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,990
    When I first saw this, I thought it was ridiculous. The difference between Tomlin and Belichick is as vast as the east and west coast of America.

But the more I think about it, the more I understand it and accept it. We are on top. Belichick focuses on what it takes to stay on top. The Steelers are climbing up and always getting knocked down. They know they can scale almost every mountain but one. And they keep getting knocked down over and over and over again.

So their mentality is not a championship mentality, but in all fairness, they can't remember what that's like. So while Belichick spends every week thinking about what to do to stay on top, Tomlin has blinders for the one bully that keeps beating him up over and over and over again. It seems unfair to mock Tomlin for his loser's mentality since he's a loser, he should feel that way.

• Like Like x 1

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club

Ratings:
    +4,315
    I think by now most of us realize that Mike Tomlin isn’t too bright.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +803
    Regarding your first point, what is really helping their defense is the below average offenses and quarterbacks that they've had to face. Many defenses would look great against non-NFL-ready rookies like DeShone Kizer, washed up and overpaid veterans like Joe Flacco, soon to be journeymen like Mike Glennon, bottom-basement starters like Blake Bortles, and backups who are clearly not NFL-caliber players like Brett Hundley.

As for your second point regarding Burns, when you say "physical tackler" you surely don't mean "good at tackling." Because if you did that is a falsehood. Burns is a big reason why the Steelers have had the most missed tackles so far this season. Furthermore, in terms of coverage he is every bit as bad as I am stating. Burns occupies the RCB position, or the left side for the offense. The Steelers defensively rank dead last in terms of pass defense on that side of the field and are especially atrocious in the deep part on that side of the field. Which is why they lead the league with 6 50+ yard touchdowns allowed. 5 of which have come in the last 3 weeks. Four of those have come in plays with Burns directly involved.

So as it stands the Steelers are a defense that misses a lot of tackles and lately is allowing a plethora of big plays against them, all the while playing backups and ineffective starters. The Patriots can and should light this defense up.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PatriotsNumero1Fan

PatriotsNumero1Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,756
    You did your homework. It will be up to our o line to give brady protection. I did notice that offensive line for the squealers for the most part has done a good job protecting burger.

• Like Like x 2
  5. FourierSeries

FourierSeries Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10,101
    This game won't be just your typical ass whooping or blowout. It will be a sexual assault the likes of which even Hollywood has never seen. Harvey Weinstein's indiscretions will seem like child's play compared to what the Patriots will do to the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. SaCaCh

SaCaCh 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +626
    Can this game be flexed? Its Dallas Oakland that night and that might be two missing playoff teams.

7. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16,001
    No. They’ve already made the decision to keep it at 4:25. CBS won’t let go of the rights, and I don’t blame them.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Angelpats

Angelpats Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,489
    Our game with pitt won't be be deciding HFA. I see the squeelers losing the next two games. They barely won their last two.

9. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4,720
    Said a few weeks ago, in terms of our O vs their D it's extremely simple.

Their front 7, particularly DLine. Cam, Hargrave & Tuitt vs our Oline.

GB had some success running power and GB is def not a power running football team.

10. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16,001
    Like I said, he seems to be susceptible to certain routes, particularly ones that allow the receiver to get in space, but he’s still used to playing in a more physical type of scheme at Miami, and I think that makes him a bit hit/miss. In that regard, you’re definitely right that we should be able to take advantage of that type of weakness, particularly with our shiftier and speedier players.

However...even with issues gambling in space, I still think that you’re selling him short a bit. Let’s look at a comparison to other first round CBs taken much higher last year who many feel are already pro bowlers, or at the very least, up and coming young stars at the position:

Jalen Ramsey (5th pick) CB
    65 tackles, 2 INTs, 14 passes deflected

Eli Apple (10th pick) CB
    51 tackles, 1 INT, 7 passes deflected

Artie Burns (25th pick) CB
    65 tackles, 3 INTs, 13 passes deflected

It would seem as though Burns hung in there pretty well with his competition, particularly when you consider that they were top 10 selections. Now, is he anywhere near as good as the 2 CBs that I compared him to? Absolutely not. Like I said, I believe that he’s overrated. But I don’t think he’s quite as bad as you’re suggesting, either.