PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase: Graham Trade Rumors Bogus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This has been reported before, but some folks seem to miss out on these things. I fully expect the Pats to make a competitive bid to bring him back in 2007, and I expect Graham to be receptive.
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsColumnists/view.bg?articleid=141079

With Graham's contract set to expire after this season and the Patriots adding two tight ends in the draft, there was speculation Graham could be traded. The speculation only intensified when word came from Denver that the Broncos were interested in acquiring the Colorado native.

With the Broncos in town this weekend, Graham's not wondering what might have been. He's happy to be in New England and happy Patriots coach Bill Belichick put the rumors to rest by publicly proclaiming Graham was staying.
-----
"Belichick came up to me and told me the rumors had never been true. That's all I needed to hear."

not that this is such a huge revelation, but once again Tomase is impressing me with digging a bit, getting stories others aren't, and just, well, THINKING and being the slightest bit ACTIVE as a journalist. It's amazing the lazy crap going on in N.E. media. Outside of Tomase, Reiss and the patriots.com guys, it is a WASTELAND in the post-Tom Curran era.

If Graham's threatened it won't be by Mills.

Height: 6-1 Weight: 235 He is in no way a pro TE.

With Garret Mills essentially being a Jerome Wiggins TE,why in heaven would you not sign Graham,who is the best blocking TE in the NFL and has more than adequate receiving skills?Does a fullback or extra lineman have more value than Graham? I don't think so.

italia44 said:
With Garret Mills essentially being a Jerome Wiggins TE,why in heaven would you not sign Graham,who is the best blocking TE in the NFL and has more than adequate receiving skills?Does a fullback or extra lineman have more value than Graham? I don't think so.

Mills is a FB if he's anything in the pros.

BB uncharacteristicly came out publicly months ago and stated there was nothing to the rumors and no way Graham was being traded.

That said, Felger had the Denver GM on today and he said they took it upon themselves to call BB at the time the rumors were rampant to assure him they had not had any contact with the player. That said, he said he knows Daniel has a number of contacts in the area and if he were to become available as a FA they would certainly explore that option...

I'm sure the Pat's make an offer unless they already know the numbers the Graham camp is looking for are not value numbers. How receptive he is is likely a factor of how his contract season unfolds and what those contacts in Denver are whispering to him. Transitioning him is a distinct possibility since it keeps the door open in case his market is closer to what the team and not the player anticipates it will be.

MoLewisrocks said:
BB uncharacteristicly came out publicly months ago and stated there was nothing to the rumors and no way Graham was being traded.

That said, Felger had the Denver GM on today and he said they took it upon themselves to call BB at the time the rumors were rampant to assure him they had not had any contact with the player. That said, he said he knows Daniel has a number of contacts in the area and if he were to become available as a FA they would certainly explore that option...

I'm sure the Pat's make an offer unless they already know the numbers the Graham camp is looking for are not value numbers. How receptive he is is likely a factor of how his contract season unfolds and what those contacts in Denver are whispering to him. Transitioning him is a distinct possibility since it keeps the door open in case his market is closer to what the team and not the player anticipates it will be.

Might they be waiting to see how his shoulders hold up?

RayClay said:
Mills is a FB if he's anything in the pros.
Like I said if Mills is just a FB,then he's history as compared to Graham.Heath Evans,Mills,Patrick Pass etc.have special teams value only,not even in Graham's class as far as value goes.

italia44 said:
Like I said if Mills is just a FB,then he's history as compared to Graham.Heath Evans,Mills,Patrick Pass etc.have special teams value only,not even in Graham's class as far as value goes.

Different player, different position. He, Pass and Heath vie for one spot, IMO.

RayClay said:
Different player, different position. He, Pass and Heath vie for one spot, IMO.
I'm agreeing with you,whether Garret Mills stays has no reflection on whether we resign Daniel Graham.

Why are you all talking about Garret Mills? It's David Thomas who would be considered Graham's replacement if the Pats were ever to lose him. Thomas has impressed the first two weeks with his blocking, and although he is not yet in Graham's blocking stratosphere yet (and may never be), it would at least be comparing apples to apples. Mentioning Mills in the equation is comparing apples to oranges.

A good find...I have heard more the runors of him going west..especially with ties in the area...I think that is more possible than a trade. I really do think they wish him to stay, but it may be his choice to leave. I would love to see him saty, but sometimes there are factors beyond money..although his comment about giving the Pats only 1 shot negates that a bit. Thomas is more a replacement for Fauria...not Graham. His blocking is top notch and he's getting a bit more catches this year so far.

If i rememeber right graham was the FB on the longest gain by maroney.

Another reason I respect Graham. He could have easily pulled a "deion" as he is almost as valuable, but he stayed true to his contract even though unlike deion he never promised not to hold out. He could have also easily been disgruntled with Watson ahead of him or the rumours or Deion leaving but you never heard a peep from him....what a likable guy!

Pats726 said:
..although his comment about giving the Pats only 1 shot negates that a bit.
Stan, The only place I've seen this reported was in a Ron Borges column on the Branch holdout. Ron claimed to be quoting "a friend" of Graham repeating Daniel's remarks. Entirely too much heresay for me, especially considering the author's proclivity to find the darkest side of any issue related to the Patriots.

Frankly, if I were Daniel's agent, I'd recommend he wait and see what offers he received and make his decision based on the total package, money/bonus/location/offensive scheme/competition/QB. Myself, I'd be looking at him as a hybrid LT, one who can catch passes, play FB, handle DTs, and beat up the best edge rushers in the business - but I'm a sucker for a tight end...:rolleyes:

I agree with your analysis from Graham's side.

The patriots will make their analysis and offer, and also need to decide whether to franchise him.

As we all know by know, it is not just a matter of the patriots re-signing a players. There may be at least four elements that come into play: how much the player is offered by others (or is expected to be offerred), how much the patriots offer, how much of a discount a player might give the patriots (if any; some would take less elsewhere), and how much the injury risk factor on the remining portion of their contract is worth. Oh yeah, there is alos the issues of whether the player is willing to sit out, and how much compensation a team is willing to pay if Graham is franchised.

Finally, we did draft two TE's. We could carry "only" three next year, with one being a Wiggins-type TE. To me, no one is competing with Graham. He is very valuable as a blocker. Light isn't a great LT; he is much worse without Graham.

Given all this we can guess whether Graham will stay.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Stan, The only place I've seen this reported was in a Ron Borges column on the Branch holdout. Ron claimed to be quoting "a friend" of Graham repeating Daniel's remarks. Entirely too much heresay for me, especially considering the author's proclivity to find the darkest side of any issue related to the Patriots.

Frankly, if I were Daniel's agent, I'd recommend he wait and see what offers he received and make his decision based on the total package, money/bonus/location/offensive scheme/competition/QB. Myself, I'd be looking at him as a hybrid LT, one who can catch passes, play FB, handle DTs, and beat up the best edge rushers in the business - but I'm a sucker for a tight end...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Even though the price will have gone up due to some recent signings, I'd Franchise him - it would cose $4-$5M as a guess. Retain his rights, maybe be able to sign him, if not trade him. Worst case we could get, IMO, is a 2007 #3 which is a lot better than a 2008 comp pick, likely a #5 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back