PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran

Liked Curran hammering away at Goodell about the missing PSI measurements. Wish he would have kept doing that.

For once I wish people would actually explain how to build around a 25m (31m with the dead hit on average) cap hit for Brady.

I just dont get what exactly they could have done last offseason to make staying in NE more attractive than moving to Florida and throwing to Evans, Godwin, Gronk and AB.

At this point most of Currans work has become Felger level noise.
Actually, it’s pretty simple! The dead cap hit came from the void years so we could have signed Brady to a 2 year or 3 year extension without void years which would not have led to dead cap hit! It is my belief that if Bill came to Brady with a 2 or 3 year extension at 20M/y Brady would have took it. And you could have structured the contract to have maybe less cap hit in 2020 and more in 2021. Maybe like a 15M hit in 2020 and 25M in 2021 ?

They just needed to offer him more than a one year deal and they could have done whatever they wanted

Actually, it’s pretty simple! The dead cap hit came from the void years so we could have signed Brady to a 2 year or 3 year extension without void years which would not have led to dead cap hit! It is my belief that if Bill came to Brady with a 2 or 3 year extension at 20M/y Brady would have took it. And you could have structured the contract to have maybe less cap hit in 2020 and more in 2021. Maybe like a 15M hit in 2020 and 25M in 2021 ?
Maybe tom didnt believe that BB could build a team around him in 2-3 yrs to win after whatever happened with AB,gordon etc. I am sure brady's team took stock of the teams around the league and who was better at that time before making the decision.

For once I wish people would actually explain how to build around a 25m (31m with the dead hit on average) cap hit for Brady.

I just dont get what exactly they could have done last offseason to make staying in NE more attractive than moving to Florida and throwing to Evans, Godwin, Gronk and AB.

At this point most of Currans work has become Felger level noise.

Having paid a ton of attention to this topic last year, I'd wager that most of Curran's criticism is built on the Patriots inaction leading up to the March 20 something date last year, which guaranteed Brady would have the big dead cap number he did. I think Curran was voicing a lot of grief from the Brady side that things hadn't been sorted out earlier, that the team didn't want to commit to Brady's goal of playing until 45, and that BB wasn't willing to treat Tom any differently than the rest of the roster (e.g., adhering to the better a year early than a year late idiom).

Whatever i said about media access and its reasoning for the narratives

It has been said ad nauseum, but what the hell happened to Tom Curran?

Imagine, after 6 Super Bowls in 20 seasons, writing this:

Tom Curran. Only Tomase is lower than he is. Don't read him any more. Sports journalism, none noted.

Tom Curran. Only Tomase is lower than he is. Don't read him any more. Sports journalism, none noted.

An opinionated article isn’t the same thing as a published report with false information and unprofessional source citing.

Maybe tom didnt believe that BB could build a team around him in 2-3 yrs to win after whatever happened with AB,gordon etc. I am sure brady's team took stock of the teams around the league and who was better at that time before making the decision.
You are joking right? Brady decided that he couldn’t win in New England after winning more here than anyone had ever anywhere? People say some crazy **** around here.

They just needed to offer him more than a one year deal and they could have done whatever they wanted
You realize that you are just making things up and assuming they are real right?

You realize that you are just making things up and assuming they are real right?
So enlight me and explain what things I am making up?

Edit: after rereading, I know what you meant. I was just giving my opinion on what we could have done to keep Brady and it was giving him a multi year deal before 2019

Last edited:
You are joking right? Brady decided that he couldn’t win in New England after winning more here than anyone had ever anywhere? People say some crazy **** around here.
You are saying that as miserable as he was last yr on the sidelines with harry and meyers and no gronk, he wouldve just signed to stay here if they had offered him more money early? and even if he signed, i dont know how happy he wouldve been,. he would be ask kraft to let him go like he did after the eagles SB.

It has been said ad nauseum, but what the hell happened to Tom Curran?

Imagine, after 6 Super Bowls in 20 seasons, writing this:

Ruth was 24 years old when traded to NY. Brady was 42 when he left New England....... Big difference.. Better a year or two too soon than too late...

You are saying that as miserable as he was last yr on the sidelines with harry and meyers and no gronk, he wouldve just signed to stay here if they had offered him more money early? and even if he signed, i dont know how happy he wouldve been,. he would be ask kraft to let him go like he did after the eagles SB.
I’m saying he was part of a dynasty for 20 years that dominated the league and despite his unhappy you think he may have been from your tv he didn’t wake up one day and say this place sucks you can’t win here lm going to to Tampa because they know how to win.

So enlight me and explain what things I am making up?

Edit: after rereading, I know what you meant. I was just giving my opinion on what we could have done to keep Brady and it was giving him a multi year deal before 2019
Correct you can’t just throw around cap numbers you pull out of thin air and suggest they could just pick what years they want the money to count against when they can’t.

I don’t know why people refuse to accept that this happens to every team. At some point there are cap issues. When you are at the top of the league for 8 straight years you have to make future cap sacrifices to do that. During 2019 we had to move cap money around to replace players mid season. It’s been a balloon that’s been blown up for years. The day had to come. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that belichick would have paid Brady exactly what the bucs did and probably more. But he also was ok that Brady chose the day to end it.
He would have happily tried to squeeze another championship out of the GOAT but he also realized that the amount of support he needed at 43 is hard to get under their cap situation and was pragmatic enough to know there has to be an after Brady so if it must be today, so be it.
He would have had a better team in 2020 if Brady did not choose to leave but at some point the team will be better for him leaving early than late and that could be as soon as 2021.

That is actually pretty much blindingly obvious. Brady saw that first hand in 2019. A league leading defense, but the offense was so bad they had no hope of going deep in the playoffs let alone winning the Superbowl. And when 2020 free agency began it was again obvious BB was not building a competitive offense for that season. So yeah, Brady realized that and guess what, he was right.

Correct you can’t just throw around cap numbers you pull out of thin air and suggest they could just pick what years they want the money to count against when they can’t.

I don’t know why people refuse to accept that this happens to every team. At some point there are cap issues. When you are at the top of the league for 8 straight years you have to make future cap sacrifices to do that. During 2019 we had to move cap money around to replace players mid season. It’s been a balloon that’s been blown up for years. The day had to come. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that belichick would have paid Brady exactly what the bucs did and probably more. But he also was ok that Brady chose the day to end it.
He would have happily tried to squeeze another championship out of the GOAT but he also realized that the amount of support he needed at 43 is hard to get under their cap situation and was pragmatic enough to know there has to be an after Brady so if it must be today, so be it.
He would have had a better team in 2020 if Brady did not choose to leave but at some point the team will be better for him leaving early than late and that could be as soon as 2021.
Where do you get this? BB would have paid Brady what the Bucs did? More? Where do you see that? Every indication is that BB did not offer any contract or signaled it was likely going to be under 20 million.

That is actually pretty much blindingly obvious. Brady saw that first hand in 2019. A league leading defense, but the offense was so bad they had no hope of going deep in the playoffs let alone winning the Superbowl. And when 2020 free agency began it was again obvious BB was not building a competitive offense for that season. So yeah, Brady realized that and guess what, he was right.
Brady has been part of the organization through the whole thing and he knows what happens here.
The bucs won 4 more games than the patriots. There is simply no question that the patriots win at least 4 more with Brady instead of the slug they had at QB.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back