PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran

catent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It has been said ad nauseum, but what the hell happened to Tom Curran?

Imagine, after 6 Super Bowls in 20 seasons, writing this:

When you think about it, the Patriots really had to work to get this far on the wrong side of history.

I don’t see much wrong there. It’s also very obvious that “prentice mccray” still reads this forum.

I mean, look, I agree with the general premise that Brady should still be a Patriot and that Belichick’s hesitancy to commit through the end of Brady’s career was a mistake, absolutely.

But to assume/imply that Belichick shoved Brady out the door, didn’t appreciate him, actively wanted him gone and didn’t want Brady as his QB, is absurd. Nonsense.

Belichick stuck to his “one year early rather than one year late” principle and this is one of the few times that it bit him. It’s not personal, and the implication from Curran that it is personal, is preposterous.

And it’s not like Belichick didn’t try to build the team. He did so, successful, and they won 3 Super Bowls from 2014-2018. They tried with Harry, they tried with Sanu, they drafted Michel and multiple OL. And ultimately it worked, they won a lot championships.

I’m not sure how exactly the end occurred, but it simply seems that Belichick wasn’t comfortable committing long-term to Brady (if so, this was a mistake), and Brady ultimately decided it was best to move on due to the lack of contractural security along with the 1-2 years of retooling the Pats faced (and, on the flip side, the fact that Tampa was positioned for immediate success).

Last edited:
Curran is a gossip girl. Has this guy offered anything of value from an X’s and O’s standpoint? Classic NE news media shill, sports or otherwise.

For once I wish people would actually explain how to build around a 25m (31m with the dead hit on average) cap hit for Brady.

I just dont get what exactly they could have done last offseason to make staying in NE more attractive than moving to Florida and throwing to Evans, Godwin, Gronk and AB.

At this point most of Currans work has become Felger level noise.

I believe that Curran’s employer (and by extension, Curran himself) is paid via advertising revenue, and advertising revenue is generated via clicks.

Thus, in order to be profitable, he must create content that causes individuals to click/engage.

Delivering thoughtful, complex, nuanced, detailed, and accurate information rarely leads to clicks/engagement at the same rate as does shallow, simple, controversial (and generally inaccurate/incomplete) content.

I have, in fact, advanced Curran’s junk by posting this thread. Great, lol.

In nearly every case: paid subscription plans >>>> advertising revenue.

as i said, will mcdonaugh isn't coming through that door.......at this point there just aren't many viable sports media personnel.......luckily for us, we've got to see the absolute worst in sports media here in New England for quite some time

Curran is great, probably my favourite Pats journalist. The thing about Curran is he’d been on top of the Brady contract situation with the Pats and had more inside info then anyone else on it. His stance hasn’t really changed at all and his feelings are shared by many others. Bill and Kraft botched the Brady situation, plain and simple. He should have retired a Patriot. I’d love to see what Kraft is saying behind closed doors right now.

For once I wish people would actually explain how to build around a 25m (31m with the dead hit on average) cap hit for Brady.

I just dont get what exactly they could have done last offseason to make staying in NE more attractive than moving to Florida and throwing to Evans, Godwin, Gronk and AB.

At this point most of Currans work has become Felger level noise.

It wasn’t possible - the team was in a cap bind, period, and there wasn’t a ton they could’ve done to avoid it.

They could’ve committed Brady in, say, 2017-2018, which would’ve spread his cap hit over several more years, but regardless, they were going to be tight against the cap for this season, with or without him.

I think the error was not extending Brady earlier. Once we reached where things stood a year ago, the Bucs were clearly the better option.

It’s not that Brady didn’t want to be in New England; he did, but he didn’t have a long term contract and as he hit free agency, Tampa clearly had the superior roster.

Belichick may wish he had extended Brady earlier, but outside of that I don’t think there’s a lot that could’ve been done differently, and the thin roster / lack of cap space would still be a reality.

Curran is great, probably my favourite Pats journalist. The thing about Curran is he’d been on top of the Brady contract situation with the Pats and had more inside info then anyone else on it. His stance hasn’t really changed at all and his feelings are shared by many others. Bill and Kraft botched the Brady situation, plain and simple. He should have retired a Patriot. I’d love to see what Kraft is saying behind closed doors right now.

I get saying, “yeah, Belichick probably wishes he had committed to Brady earlier, that is probably a decision he sees as a mistake, but he stuck to his formula”.

Instead Curran wrote what is effectively an emotional forum post in lieu of thoughtful journalism. It’s embellished, subjective word-smithing, not objective reporting.

My thoughts exactly.

will mcdonaugh is not coming through that door

Will McD was worse than Tom in my book.

Will was so far into the liar's corner, Bill P., that he threw a fit when Kraft didn't cut him in on the news of the trouble he was having with Bill P. Will McD acted like he was more important than the future of the franchise.

in hindsight, extending him then might have been the move, but this is unprecedented QB play this late in anyone's career.......beyond unprecedented, it's other worldly

at this point we would have been a less successful version of the steelers had they extended him any time after 2017.....would not have won this year, and would have just extended the chance to win by a year, but everyone would have felt a little better about how it played out

when they didn't extend him then, this was really the ending he deserved......but no one really expected this, even on this board.....there were many people on this board 4 years ago that weighed in on this, and i don't think there were many that expected this level of play at 43

Tom Curran is entitled to his opinion and what he’s going to write.

To be honest only Belichick, Brady, his agent and others within the organization know how it really went down. If people want to speculate then so be it.

I do like how some sheep follow these click stories like they are real 100% truth. Kind of reminds me of any gate related to the Patriots. God bless America and reality tv.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back