PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady says he's done "for good"

Rodgers? Did you say Rodgers?
Look Looking GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
1675265219294.jpeg

How many more SHOULD we have won while he was here? I'd say the 2007 SB, 2008 (the year he missed), the 2011 SB, and 2015 that Denver won. You could also argue the 2017 SB v Philly. So 10 or 11 rings as a Patriot.
In many ways FB is like a game of chance. You're not going to win them all. Fortunately, fortune smiled on Brady and the Pats more often then naught.

First time he retired he signed a big contract to be the analyst on the Fox #1 announcing team. It will be interesting to see what Fox does, Greg Olsen is in his first year on the #1 team, he’s good.
The contract is still good. It was just postponed until he retired.

I really don't believe him. Come March he is going to get offers and he will want to play again. It seems like SB time is really difficult for him as this is two times now in two years that he has retired right before the SB. It is almost like he just can't stand it that he is not playing in the game and decides to retire and then the game is played, winner is crowned, one week of hoopla and then on to next season. Once that lull happens and everyone has turned their attention to 2023, he will want to play again badly IMO.
I totally agree with this. Isn't this what Favre did for years and years?

So Gisele divorced him and separated their family because he continued his career for another ~4 months where he was still home nearly every night. Weird. Or was there another reason.

Tom took over as a starting QB when I was a freshman in high school. He is now retiring and I am 35 years old with a 2 year old kid and a house. Really is wild how long he played. Over the last few months I have been finally starting to put my home office together and pull out some of my Patriots memorabilia from over the years and it is a fun trip down memory lane to see some of this stuff. I am happy Tom is ours again and those Tampa nerds can go to hell.

So Gisele divorced him and separated their family because he continued his career for another ~4 months where he was still home nearly every night. Weird. Or was there another reason.
It's never just one thing but it's always easier to make the decision to break-up when you have a replacement in-line to be under or on top of.

Thanks GOAT. Enjoy retirement. ( It’s strange that I’m actually wearing my GOAT t-shirt today)

That's a bit surprising. I thought he'd at least test the waters with San Fran in the off-season.

As much as I like Brady, I don't look forward to hearing him call games. It doesn't feel right.

Serious question - if Tom is going to unofficially "mentor" a QB, or even show up to a TC practice as an invited guest, is it going to be in TAM or at Gillette? To me, it's no contest. I could see Tom selling his Tampa house, and never engaging in that community again. But, Tom will get the McGinest treatment - and I wouldn't be surprised to see him stop in even this summer.
Zero chance he could be bothered enough to do a Todd Bowles team favors like help with the QB. If he shows up around the Bucs from time to time, it'll be to catch up with guys like Evans, Godwin, Jensen, etc.

I'm surprised Brady made the decision so soon after the conclusion of the season, considering he said this time he would give it more contemplation. Making it this fast, he must have known at some point during the season that it would be his last.

I think this past season was just a cluster of bad circumstances... chaotic personal life and divorce, his team fell apart around him, epically bad coaching (fu toilet bowles), and results below expectation. It turned out to be a very heavy grind just to squeeze out 8 wins so I think at this stage of his career/life, he just got totally burnt out and he just doesn't want to (or can't) deal with the exhaustive process of preparing for anther season (at age 46). It seems likely to me that had this season gone (much) better then he would have continued his career.

It's too bad, he can still play at a high level, and I think in the right situation, he is capable of leading a team to a Super Bowl. I also think there are teams (SF, LVR, etc.) out there that will still make inquires for his services just in case he's really not 100% done. I doubt he reconsiders though.

I'm not particularly excited about his broadcasting career. He obviously has a brilliant football mind and an exceptional amount of knowledge and insight but I'm not sure it'll translate to being an effective and entertaining commentator. We'll see.

As for his NFL career, obviously he's the GOAT quarterback, and he's miles ahead of #2 (Montana). I also think he's the GOAT NFL player (#2 Jerry Rice) and GOAT player of all professional team sports (#2 Michael Jordan).

I don't think anyone ever catches Brady in any of these categories either because I think the quarterback is the most important position in all of professional sports by far so he would have to be topped by a quarterback to be knocked out of all of these categories and I just don't see it happening.

People look at Mahomes but he's a million miles behind Brady right now. Even giving Mahomes another SB ring and SB MVP from this SB, he'll still be behind Brady 2-7 and 2-5 respectively. Where Brady makes the task for Mahomes basically insurmountable is the fact that Brady is 2-0 head to head with Mahomes in the postseason (effectively taking 2 rings away from Mahomes) and Mahomes will have no way of rectifying this.

Brady's greatest regular season = 2007
Brady's greatest postseason = 2014
Brady's greatest overall season = 2016
Brady's greatest unexpected season = 2020
Brady's greatest postseason game = Super Bowl 49 (conquered the Legion of Boom)
Brady's greatest regular season game = Week 17, December 29, 2007 (capped off 16-0)
Brady's greatest quarter = 2nd quarter, October 18, 2009 (5 TD passes vs TEN)
Brady's greatest OT = Super Bowl 51 (completing 28-3 comeback vs ATL)
Brady's greatest pass = 82-yard TD pass to Troy Brown in OT vs MIA in 2003

Farewell GOAT.

Dont believe it yet. This may be like those "farewell tours" and "final farewell tours" bands do.

I hope you didn't work too hard picking and choosing the "facts" to suit your narrative.

Sounds like you got an ugly divorce in your past and need to get something off your chest.

Prob needs to retire and spend more time on Tinder as Veronika Rajek seems to be married.

Yeah, it'll be 95% Pats and 5% Texans...

Fer sure.
And Rodgers will wait one more year...he deserves his day in the sun too, but he would be overshadowed by TB12, as in 7--1 overshadowed. And, kind of fitting, he won't overlap with Peyton, Big Ben or Rodgers.
I hope the HOF voters keep it to the two of them when 2028 rolls around.

I hope you didn't work too hard picking and choosing the "facts" to suit your narrative.

Sounds like you got an ugly divorce in your past and need to get something off your chest.
Not hard work at all and no to the second part.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back