PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady ‘wouldn't be opposed' to NFL return, mentions Patriots -- DON'T NEED A QB ANYMORE!

Age isn't much of a factor IMO. He is not a player. If an owner believes he can win with him, then he would get hired. Obviously no one does as the only interview he had was with the crappy Falcons and they said no.
So you think he'd still be unemployed with the exact same resume if he was 60? And you think his chances of getting hired next season are the same if he were 61?

Don't be ridiculous.

Yeah I mean obviously Walsh is one of the few guys you can put in a debate with Bill. If he wants to go with Walsh so be it. I'm going to stick with Bill.

But I'm not giving him too much credit for Young since he left before Montana did.

Walsh is in my top 10 for coaches (BB, Landry, Lombardi, Walsh, Noll, Brown, Shula, Gibbs, Halas, Reid). He was amazing.

If you don't define it as # of SBs and wins, arguments can be made for everyone on that list for GOAT.

Walsh is in my top 10 for coaches (BB, Landry, Lombardi, Walsh, Noll, Brown, Shula, Gibbs, Halas, Reid). He was amazing.

If you don't define it as # of SBs and wins, arguments can be made for everyone on that list for GOAT.
killer list of coaches... hard to knock any of them, except shula... and thats cuz i dont like him.

I certainly don't define it as just # of SBs and wins. But with that said Bill has so much more than the rest it's hard not to stop there.

They all have their own unique stories and you can make a case for any of them however you choose.

For example Lombardi doesn't have 6 he only has 5 but he did it in a shorter span of time so you could make a case for it being more impressive.

Of course not all 5 were SBs 3 of his titles predate the SBs and are almost more comparable to conference titles, but I don't need to debate myself, the point is obviously Lombardi has a great case and if you're a fan of his/GB I wouldn't expect you to concede easily.

He probably could still play and be a middle-of-the-pack qb. If there were an offer, I think he'd realize that middle-of-the-pack is not his happy spot and opt out. He's probably just rattling cages, tbh. He does that.

BB was the GM.

Please. Name one other time in history a HoF QB was replaced by a HoF QB. Credit to Walsh for trading for Young.

Bill had the plan in place. The foil was Tom who kept playing after 40.
Aaron Rodgers replacing Breet Favre.

Bill Walsh the GM built a team that won 5 Superbowls in 13 years with 2 HOF QBs that he picked.

Jimmy G was never HOF bound.

Bill is the best GM since 2000 but I don't think he deserves to be placed above Bill Walsh. Doing so is just recency bias

Yeah I mean obviously Walsh is one of the few guys you can put in a debate with Bill. If he wants to go with Walsh so be it. I'm going to stick with Bill.

But I'm not giving him too much credit for Young since he left before Montana did.
As a HC you can't credit Walsh for Young but as a GM you certainly do

So you think he'd still be unemployed with the exact same resume if he was 60? And you think his chances of getting hired next season are the same if he were 61?

Don't be ridiculous.
I think going 4-13 last year with the crap show he put on tape has hurt him way more than his age ...

Come on now he was Defacto GM.

Your entitled to your opinion with Walsh as he is one of the few who can be considered for this debate. I'll still take Bill.

Not putting this on you but I find it funny how some will point out that Bill never won without Brady. Same is true of Walsh he never won without Joe. And a step further in Walsh's case Seifert was easily able to replicate what Walsh did and win with Joe and he was the one to actually carry out the succession plan to Young.
My debate was for Walsh as GM/HC not just pure HC. I would say your example of Walsh building a program, developing his replacement at HC and getting players that went on to win multiple superbowls proves his status as the GOAT GM.

Now if Mayo goes on to win a couple superbowls with the players that Belicheck mainly drafted I think you could argue Bill was the better GM

Bill Walsh the GM built a team that won 5 Superbowls in 13 years with 2 HOF QBs that he picked.

Bill is the best GM since 2000 but I don't think he deserves to be placed above Bill Walsh. Doing so is just recency bias
Pretty impressive run by Walsh. Imo has to put him in the GOAT conversation

killer list of coaches... hard to knock any of them, except shula... and thats cuz i dont like him.
Agree. I can't stand him.

I don't want him on there either but 2 SBs, 6 appearances w 2 diff teams and #1 in wins gets him there

As a HC you can't credit Walsh for Young but as a GM you certainly do
Some not all. He was not there when they decided to move on from Joe to Young.

But he only won 3 himself.

My debate was for Walsh as GM/HC not just pure HC. I would say your example of Walsh building a program, developing his replacement at HC and getting players that went on to win multiple superbowls proves his status as the GOAT GM.

Now if Mayo goes on to win a couple superbowls with the players that Belicheck mainly drafted I think you could argue Bill was the better GM
That's a fair take. But at the end of the day Belichick has 3 more rings than him that's too much for me to ignore. If Walsh stuck around and got the other 2 I might then agree he's better because of the 2 QBs instead of just counting to 6 but twice as many is too much to ignore.

Also your giving Walsh extra credit for building it around 2 QBs. Which he deserves But it's not like Belichick other than Brady didn't build two completely different dynastic rosters/runs.

Also your giving Walsh extra credit for building it around 2 QBs. Which he deserves But it's not like Belichick other than Brady didn't build two completely different dynastic rosters/runs.
He had Brady. If he lost Brady and then built another dynasty, then thats different. After Brady and before Brady he was just not good at head coaching.

Point taken.
He left after 1988. I don't give him credit for 1994.
He was the heir apparent and was/is a starting NFL QB which actually did pretty well.
Walsh never had to deal with the cap and FA. It was harder to build teams back then but easier to keep them together.

He had Brady. If he lost Brady and then built another dynasty, then thats different. After Brady and before Brady he was just not good at head coaching.
So you give no credit to Belichick for building 2 completely different teams around Tom that were each capable of winning 3 SBs?

I see no reason not to give Belichick more credit for what he did than Walsh building a team capable of winning 4 with Joe and having Young in place to win a 5th. All due credit for finding the 2 QBs. But you have to mention he left and decide how much credit does he still get for the 4th and 5th obviously he had a stamp on them a large one on the 4th and a smaller one on the 5th.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back