PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Titans fire old friend GM Jon Robinson

I understand about Elliott but was wondering who they let go at WR
Ya I guess it wouldve been Cooper, I didnt even think of that TBH...because they are still great at receiver and TE.

Robinson is from the BB school. Don't pay big money for WRs.
I've been attending that school for a long time, but am starting to feel you need a "franchise WR" to win these days. Ideally you draft one, but if not, it's as good a place as any to spend major resources. We've been trying to avoid the big spend, but players like Nelson Agholor and Davante Parker fall short of a "franchise WR". Yet, overall, the biggest failing this season has been OL and play calling. Signing AJ Brown to a huge extension after trading a 1st to bring him in wouldn't have made sense for us, IMO.

I don't necessarily disagree with that philosophy but you need to make your QB position the best it can be.

Tanny ain't it. Christ.
Tanny is pretty much the definition of mediocrity.

So was Vrabel behind this move wanting more control or should he be worried that he’s next?

It never ceases to amaze me how no one takes the cap into account.
Brown was traded because he had a big payday (4 yrs $100M) coming and the Titans did not have the cap room to sign him, Philly did.

It never ceases to amaze me how no one takes the cap into account.
Brown was traded because he had a big payday (4 yrs $100M) coming and the Titans did not have the cap room to sign him, Philly did.
They chose to sign Henry and Tannehill to huge money over Aj brown…that’s the point

They chose to sign Henry and Tannehill to huge money over Aj brown…that’s the point

Henry's contract is 4 years $50M. Brown's is 4 years $100M. You can't realistically compare starting QB contracts to other positions but if we go there you'd see $25M is mid QB level. Tennessee simply could not pay Brown and still have a decent QB to throw him the ball. Not that I think Tannehill is any great shakes and he's getting mid level QB money

On an annual basis QB cap hits are smoke and mirrors. For instance, when the smoke clears in Tampa after this season they will still have $31M in dead money for Brady and the final tally will end with $133M in cap hits over 4 years while they will have received only 3 years of his services.

Henry's contract is 4 years $50M. Brown's is 4 years $100M. You can't realistically compare starting QB contracts to other positions but if we go there you'd see $25M is mid QB level. Tennessee simply could not pay Brown and still have a decent QB to throw him the ball. Not that I think Tannehill is any great shakes and he's getting mid level QB money

On an annual basis QB cap hits are smoke and mirrors. For instance, when the smoke clears in Tampa after this season they will still have $31M in dead money for Brady and the final tally will end with $133M in cap hits over 4 years while they will have received only 3 years of his services.
I am not talking about their cap dollars, which are easily maneuverable...they spent big money, which it was...Tannehill got 100$ mil guaranteed, which is cash from the owners pocket, and Henry got over 25 gtd...No matter which way you slice it, they prioritized signing those two guys over AJ brown.

They prioritized the run game and proven mediocrity over the pass game

Not really understanding the consensus of this thread. I’d bring him back in a heart beat. The A.J. Brown decision aside, he’s been a pretty good GM for the Tits, and BB needs all the help he can get in the Draft room.

I am not talking about their cap dollars, which are easily maneuverable...they spent big money, which it was...Tannehill got 100$ mil guaranteed, which is cash from the owners pocket, and Henry got over 25 gtd...No matter which way you slice it, they prioritized signing those two guys over AJ brown.

They prioritized the run game and proven mediocrity over the pass game

Cap dollars are maneuverable but they are not easily maneuverable, the Pats made it look that way for quite a while but even they finally came up against it. Part of that was deviating from their own model to go after Ring 6. While most everyone forgets about the cost of a ring once it is won, the bill still has to be paid. One look at the Rams or the cap handcuffing of Tampa this year and next for one championship bears out just how well New England maneuvered the cap for 2 decades, they played the cap like a fiddle.

Cap dollars are maneuverable but they are not easily maneuverable, the Pats made it look that way for quite a while but even they finally came up against it. Part of that was deviating from their own model to go after Ring 6. While most everyone forgets about the cost of a ring once it is won, the bill still has to be paid. One look at the Rams or the cap handcuffing of Tampa this year and next for one championship bears out just how well New England maneuvered the cap for 2 decades, they played the cap like a fiddle.
The Patriots never came up against anything, for the back half of the 2010s they spent among the lowest amount of real cash by a franchise, the cap was used as an excuse to cover up for poor roster building and to alleviate Brady of his duties...I mean, they told you they couldnt afford Brady, but right when he signed elsewhere (For mid level Money), they Franchised Thuney, signed McCourty and extended Chung. All of that was awful money management

Not really understanding the consensus of this thread. I’d bring him back in a heart beat. The A.J. Brown decision aside, he’s been a pretty good GM for the Tits, and BB needs all the help he can get in the Draft room.
Obviously the guy made some mistakes as a GM but the Titans have been in playoff contention since he took over there. He also built a team around a dominant running back and built a strong enough roster to keep winning when Henry went down last year. People also love to crap on Tannehill, who I will admit isn't the best QB in the world but he is serviceable and a good fit for the team and Robinson pulled him off the scrap heap.

The timing of this firing is curious. you have to think that he was already hip deep in draft preparation.

I think the Pats have enough retreads, if they want to bring back the glory days, they know who to call.

Obviously the guy made some mistakes as a GM but the Titans have been in playoff contention since he took over there. He also built a team around a dominant running back and built a strong enough roster to keep winning when Henry went down last year. People also love to crap on Tannehill, who I will admit isn't the best QB in the world but he is serviceable and a good fit for the team and Robinson pulled him off the scrap heap.
Yeah, but you can’t go with a guy like Tannehill over Brady, though. That said, the overall body of work is still impressive. I’d welcome him back.

The Patriots never came up against anything, for the back half of the 2010s they spent among the lowest amount of real cash by a franchise, the cap was used as an excuse to cover up for poor roster building and to alleviate Brady of his duties...I mean, they told you they couldnt afford Brady, but right when he signed elsewhere (For mid level Money), they Franchised Thuney, signed McCourty and extended Chung. All of that was awful money management

Thuney and McCourty, for a combined cap hit of $20M, could not have been signed if Brady's $25M hit was on the books. Chung is a red herring in any discussion of the 2019-20 cap structure as he was exempted due to his COVID opt out but his number only would have been $850K. OFC in the real world, if the Pats didn't believe they were within striking distance of Ring 6 Thuney probably would have been traded rather than getting to a tag year.

Is he at the airport yet??
Sport Running GIF by Milwaukee Bucks

Bring the guy aboard BB have not shopped for the groceries that well he needs help.

I've been attending that school for a long time, but am starting to feel you need a "franchise WR" to win these days. Ideally you draft one, but if not, it's as good a place as any to spend major resources. We've been trying to avoid the big spend, but players like Nelson Agholor and Davante Parker fall short of a "franchise WR". Yet, overall, the biggest failing this season has been OL and play calling. Signing AJ Brown to a huge extension after trading a 1st to bring him in wouldn't have made sense for us, IMO.

Tanny is pretty much the definition of mediocrity.
Wow if Tanny is mediocrity what is Mac Jones?? Garbage!

You' are absolutely correct. Tannehill is serviceable and from a cap standpoint Robinson signed him to a contract that reflects that. It certainly isn't Robinson's fault the market for QB's is where it is.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back