PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time for a New Offensive Coordinator

I've been saying this for years. It is needlessly complex. Too many WRs come here and look lost.

The smug 'we have a really complex offense' mentality was only acceptable when Brady was here and the production was good. It makes no sense now when the offense is bad and the OC can't coach up anybody. We need a new offensive coordinator.

I've been saying this for years. It is needlessly complex. Too many WRs come here and look lost.
You don't actually think that they ran a complex offensive system this year, do you? It was way way way dumbed down from prior years... it was a basic block and release and hope Cam doesnt throw the ball into the ground offense...

i swear some of you guys complaining don't pay attention to what happens during the game.... which is fine, until you come here and ***** about it... over 50% of the called plays were running plays this year, which was a dramatic uptick from previous seasons (for obvious reasons)... the offensive scheme was adapted to add running plays to the mix because of Cam... and not only that, 113 of the 440 pass plays we ran were tossed in the direction of the running backs...

Josh McDaniels dramatically shifted to tenor and focus of the offense to the players we had on offense... How could you not see this?

I don’t understand this take or the hate some have for our coaches. Look at all the wins, championships, title games, semi final appearances... I think we Patriot fans are a bit spoiled.

I don’t understand this take or the hate some have for our coaches. Look at all the wins, championships, title games, semi final appearances... I think we Patriot fans are a bit spoiled.

There's no hate. It's just objective evaluation that certain staff members (Josh McDaniels) are weak and the team needs to make changes in order to improve across our development of offensive players, scheme, evaluation of players, and drafting of players. It wasn't Cam. With Tom Brady last year the offense only put up 17.6 points per game after October.

Neither The Receiver, Danny Playoffs nor Meyers were the 32nd-overall pick in the Entire Damn Draft.
Yet they are all part of building a football team.

There's no hate. It's just objective evaluation that certain staff members (Josh McDaniels) are weak and the team needs to make changes in order to improve across our development of offensive players, scheme, evaluation of players, and drafting of players. It wasn't Cam. With Tom Brady last year the offense only put up 17.6 points per game after October.
Your “evaluation” is that the QB played well this year. Please just answer yes or no so I can know that anything you post can’t be taken seriously.

That was Then (with TFB); this is Now (without TFB).
It doesn’t matter. All that winning still happen. They all did this jobs. If you think 1 player wins by themselves history disagrees with you. If you think a QB can carry a bad tram or coaching staff history disagrees with you.

What are the objective criteria you are using in your evaluation?

With the "talent" the Pats had this year, winning seven games and actually playing several good teams evenly early in the season was a minor miracle. The last month of the season was a true measure of their actual talent.

What are the objective criteria you are using in your evaluation?

Objectively, the Patriots offense was in trouble even with Tom Brady. Objectively 17.6 points per game last year with Tom Brady from late Oct through end of season. Objectively 27th in offense this year. Objectively zero good WRs or TEs drafted and developed from 2012 to now which is objectively the time frame when McDaniels came back to now. Objectively.

The problems with their offense are a result of QB, WR, and TE, not OC. Unless he leaves for a head coaching position, which seems unlikely this offseason McDaniels will be back next season.The Pats are strong on their OL and with their RB unit, but that will only take you so far in today’s NFL.

The problems with their offense are a result of QB, WR, and TE, not OC. Unless he leaves for a head coaching position, which seems unlikely this offseason McDaniels will be back next season.The Pats are strong on their OL and with their RB unit, but that will only take you so far in today’s NFL.

He's been here 8 years how is he blameless on how crappy the WR are or TE or QB? Brian Daboll did wonders making the offensive players better in Buffalo. Chad O'Shea has improved the receivers and Mayfield in Cleveland. Why act like McDaniels has zero blame on the offensive roster. He is heavily involved in draft evals, workouts in Foxboro, we literally drafted crappy Maroney because of him. McDaniels absolutely is implicated in the lack of development on offense.

He's been here 8 years how is he blameless on how crappy the WR are or TE or QB? Brian Daboll did wonders making the offensive players better in Buffalo. Chad O'Shea has improved the receivers and Mayfield in Cleveland. Why act like McDaniels has zero blame on the offensive roster. He is heavily involved in draft evals, workouts in Foxboro, we literally drafted crappy Maroney because of him. McDaniels absolutely is implicated in the lack of development on offense.
Buffalo wisely added a stud in Diggs got there Wes Welker in Beasley who I said at the time was a genius signing.
As was adding Jon Brown they drafted smart. Daboll gets Credit for the creativity and the maturation of Josh Allen who I was all over like a cheap suit when he was in school.
Was shocked how he played so poorly his first couple years now with all the talent around him he is playing to full potential.
You can thank Daboll who I was very wrong about I thought he was a lackey here.
However I think the real credit goes to Brandon Beane.

Buffalo wisely added a stud in Diggs got there Wes Welker in Beasley who I said at the time was a genius signing.
As was adding Jon Brown they drafted smart. Daboll gets Credit for the creativity and the maturation of Josh Allen who I was all over like a cheap suit when he was in school.
Was shocked how he played so poorly his first couple years now with all the talent around him he is playing to full potential.
You can thank Daboll who I was very wrong about I thought he was a lackey here.
However I think the real credit goes to Brandon Beane.

Beane has done a nice job. But he hasn't coached any of the players. Daboll did. Conversely we don't get any talent development because apparently some people think that's not an offensive coordinator's job, only to hold a call sheet and call plays.

The problems with their offense are a result of QB, WR, and TE, not OC. Unless he leaves for a head coaching position, ehichbseems unlikely this offseason McDaniels will be back next season.The Pats are strong on their OL and with their RB unit, but that will only take you so far in today’s NFL.
Brian Daboll has a a much better offense to work with, same goes for O’Shea in Cleveland. And unless you have some particular insight to their drafting process, and who is making the decisions I think blaming McDaniels is a mistake. I put the draft picks on Belichick, Caserio, and their scouts, not the coordinators or position coaches. And while people won’t want to hear it I don’t think Belichick is going to spend big money on WR’s or TE’s, and I think their draft will depend mostly on where they stand after free agency, and who is available when they are picking. Fans obviously want a quick fix for the franchise, but I think Belichick is looking to build for the long term, and he will be patient and methodical in his approach to the rebuild, and offensive weapons will come after QB is resolved, and not before it. Defense, OL, a new a strong run game will come first, QB will come down to availability, and high priced or high pick WR’s will be at the end of the process. TE, however, could come in the first round this year if he he really likes Pitt’s and he’s still there mid first.

If, however, Belichick can get the guy he believes will be his franchise QB for the future this offseason, e.g.. trade for Garrapolo then I think it’s much more likely he will invest now in the skill players to help them succeed immediately. But if he decides that isn’t an option, and goes instead for a guy like Brissett then I think he will build his defense and go with mid or lower range free agents and focus on the longer haul.

*Im not saying Garrapolo is their franchise QB, only that if Belichick believes that, and gets him, then he will be more aggressive about getting the offensive talent around him. Either way I don’t see him getting rid of McDaniels.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back