PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time for a New Offensive Coordinator

The problems with their offense are a result of QB, WR, and TE, not OC. Unless he leaves for a head coaching position, ehichbseems unlikely this offseason McDaniels will be back next season.The Pats are strong on their OL and with their RB unit, but that will only take you so far in today’s NFL.

Brian Daboll has a a much better offense to work with, same goes for O’Shea in Cleveland. And unless you have some particular insight to their drafting process, and who is making the decisions I think blaming McDaniels is a mistake. I put the draft picks on Belichick, Caserio, and their scouts, not the coordinators or position coaches. And while people won’t want to hear it I don’t think Belichick is going to spend big money on WR’s or TE’s, and I think their draft will depend mostly on where they stand after free agency, and who is available when they are picking. Fans obviously want a quick fix for the franchise, but I think Belichick is looking to build for the long term, and he will be patient and methodical in his approach to the rebuild, and offensive weapons will come after QB is resolved, and not before it. Defense, OL, a new a strong run game will come first, QB will come down to availability, and high priced or high pick WR’s will be at the end of the process. TE, however, could come in the first round this year if he he really likes Pitt’s and he’s still there mid first.

If, however, Belichick can get the guy he believes will be his franchise QB for the future this offseason, e.g.. trade for Garrapolo then I think it’s much more likely he will invest now in the skill players to help them succeed immediately. But if he decides that isn’t an option, and goes instead for a guy like Brissett then I think he will build his defense and go with mid or lower range free agents and focus on the longer haul.

*Im not saying Garrapolo is their franchise QB, only that if Belichick believes that, and gets him, then he will be more aggressive about getting the offensive talent around him. Either way I don’t see him getting rid of McDaniels.

Hilarious how much one has to bend backwards to understand this false logic. Buffalo was not a good place before Daboll arrived. Cleveland was falling apart when O'Shea arrived. On the other hand McDaniels came back to a HOF QB, HOF TE, and clutch slot WR and developed nobody in 8 years.

Hilarious how much one has to bend backwards to understand this false logic. Buffalo was not a good place before Daboll arrived. Cleveland was falling apart when O'Shea arrived. On the other hand McDaniels came back to a HOF QB, HOF TE, and clutch slot WR and developed nobody in 8 years.

Hilarious how someone can pretend they have so much inside information on MacDaniels role in personnel decisions when in truth they don’t have the slightest idea. Feel free to pursue your agenda’s, I’m sure no one will get sick of them.

Hilarious how someone can pretend they have so much inside information on MacDaniels role in personnel decisions when in truth they don’t have the slightest idea. Feel free to pursue your agenda’s, I’m sure no one will get sick of them.

I'm rooting for Josh for the Eagles job. He deserves it !!

This idea that Daboll has something that Josh doesn't is by default a critique of Belichick's coaching ability. Belichick did not see in Daboll what he saw in Josh. That is a fact. Daboll left New England BECAUSE he was passed over.

This idea that Daboll has something that Josh doesn't is by default a critique of Belichick's coaching ability. Belichick did not see in Daboll what he saw in Josh. That is a fact. Daboll left New England BECAUSE he was passed over.
Wow.. this is a fact !!! I hope bill still has his mojo ... the more I see his sons and the struggles of defense ... I am not sure if meritocracy is getting suppressed...

The John Caroll cabal of McDaniels, Caserio, Ziegler all helped each other, because it's all a good ole boys network. It is. And Flores was passed over in NE and he's the best HC to come out. So this means nothing that a mistake was made and we let Daboll go. McDaniels has been absolute garbage in Denver, in St Louis, and the last 16 months this year plus with Brady since last October. We need a new offensive coordinator.

Last edited:
Does anyone in Foxboro still have Chad O'Shea's cell phone number? Time to call him up!! Prefer him over Gase.

He has 3 rings as an OC so you are actually right about that.

Absolutely. Please Philadelphia hire McDaniels. He has 3 rings. He will turn Wentz around!! He's a QB whisperer. Please hire him before he's completely exposed (already is) with another crappy NE offensive season next year run by him. This is a win win win situation. LFG Josh. Literally FG.

Absolutely. Please Philadelphia hire McDaniels. He has 3 rings. He will turn Wentz around!! He's a QB whisperer. Please hire him before he's completely exposed (already is) with another crappy NE offensive season next year run by him. This is a win win win situation. LFG Josh. Literally FG.

Please Bill please, sign Ernie Zampese the 6th, we need more slants and cut ins.

The John Caroll cabal of McDaniels, Caserio, Ziegler all helped each other, because it's all a good ole boys network. It is. And Flores was passed over in NE and he's the best HC to come out. So this means nothing that a mistake was made and we let Daboll go. McDaniels has been absolute garbage in Denver, in St Louis, and the last 16 months this year plus with Brady since last October. We need a new offensive coordinator.

Flores was not passed over. He came up when Patricia left. Flores started in the NFL a full 6 years after Patricia started with the Patriots.

For heaven's sake, Matt Patricia was already the defensive coordinator in Flores's first year as a position coach (safety coach). Prior to that he was an assistant on special teams and defense.

I think the Eagles will probably offer Josh the HC job and he will probably accept. That said, I would love to see O'Shea as our next OC. He has done a great job as QB coach out here. If BB signs Fitz as a bridge QB, he could actually be a de facto QB coach/mentor to the new QB we hopefully draft this year.

I think the Eagles will probably offer Josh the HC job and he will probably accept. That said, I would love to see O'Shea as our next OC. He has done a great job as QB coach out here. If BB signs Fitz as a bridge QB, he could actually be a de facto QB coach/mentor to the new QB we hopefully draft this year.

Agree 150%. I'm rooting hard for Josh. He deserves the Philly job !!

Flores was not passed over. He came up when Patricia left. Flores started in the NFL a full 6 years after Patricia started with the Patriots.

For heaven's sake, Matt Patricia was already the defensive coordinator in Flores's first year as a position coach (safety coach). Prior to that he was an assistant on special teams and defense.

Weird revisionist history. Flores was with the Pats since 2004...

Wentz is immovable. Hurts may be good but Wentz has an insane $60 million dollar cap hit. They're stuck with him. It's why Pederson was fired. The GM's job is on the line to make it work with Wentz. So given this context, Philly has to go get the guy who can argue he can fix Wentz. McDaniels go and get it.

Weird revisionist history. Flores was with the Pats since 2004...
Seriously? Not as a football coach.

He was a scout.

You wanted Bill to grab a scout and make him the D-Coordinator over a guy who was a coach a full 8 years with the team?
Bizarre.

Anyone who says Flores was passed over when Patricia was made DC has no credibility. Flores spent 5 years as a scout.

Is Chad O'Shea, Bill O'Brien, or Charlie Weiss available? It is time for a new offensive coordinator for the following reasons:

1. Offense Inept 2 years in a Row. Even with Tom Brady this offense only scored 17.6 points per game the last 9 games in 2019, same as this year 20 points per game.
2. Lack of Talent Development and Missed Drafts. Very damaging bust pick of NKeal Harry (and Dobson, and every other WR drafted since 2012). Absolutely no development of tight ends which is a concerning pattern with McDaniels. No impact players since 2012 (since McDaniels returned).
3. Cam isn't the root issue. Seeing Stidham come in and only throw 4 for 11, shows this is an offensive issue all around.
4. Totally Exposed without Brady. McDaniels went to Denver and went 5-17 before getting fired (traded up using a 1st rounder for Tebow, traded for Maroney). Went to St Louis in 2011 and led the 32nd/worst offense in the league averaging only 12 points per game that season. McDaniels has done nothing without Tom Brady, this 2020 season included (so failed 3 separate times now without Brady).

I think the team would benefit from a new offensive coordinator. O'Shea has completely revived Cleveland's offense this year plus developed Baker Mayfield, and Miami's last 8 games of 2019 was a top10 offense under O'Shea. Or Bill O'Brien who developed Edelman, Gronk, and Hernandez while here and then won 4 AFC South titles with the Texans. Heck even see if Charlie Weiss is available ? I wish we had stuck with Brian Daboll if we could go back in time. We need a new offensive coordinator.

Your obsession with McDaniels is unnerving. You should be blaming the real responsible party.

20210116_234917.jpg

Seriously? Not as a football coach.

He was a scout.

You wanted Bill to grab a scout and make him the D-Coordinator over a guy who was a coach a full 8 years with the team?
Bizarre.

Anyone who says Flores was passed over when Patricia was made DC has no credibility. Flores spent 5 years as a scout.

He went into coaching after being a scout. And your original point is still wrong. Whoever was picked doesn't mean that person was better. Patricia wasn't a better DC or HC than Flores. And McDaniels being picked over Daboll doesn't mean he's better. so you using that argument doesn't fly. Daboll is the better HC candidate right now and deservedly so.

Wow.. this is a fact !!! I hope bill still has his mojo ... the more I see his sons and the struggles of defense ... I am not sure if meritocracy is getting suppressed...
I think their defensive issues this season were more a result of the players they lost and the inability of the offense to stay on the field than it was the coaching. And looking at their free agents this offseason we could see another offseason where they lose numerous key defensive players, as their free agents are going to get paid more by teams looking to contend than they are worth to the Patriots. I like players like Butler, Guy, Wise etc... but I think they will get overpaid on the open market by teams like Miami. However I’m operating from the point of view that Belichick is looking at a big long term rebuild, and not a short term reload, and as such he won’t try to match deals he believes are above market value. It is really hard to evaluate coaches when the team is losing players left and right. I don’t believe that Belichick allows nepotism to interfere with his coaching evaluations, and if anything he’s harder on his sons than he is other coaches.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back