PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thursday Night Football: Vikings vs Rams

The Rams are paying Aaron Donald QB money that was already planned on their books and they were still able to sign Suh, Cooks, Talib, Peters and who else...don't forget that Goff is a #1 overall so he doesn't make "Rookie QB money". Other teams are paying their QB and other players either.

So the Pats are against the cap because they have a preference for spreading out the money on the roster on depth, what depth exactly? Brady, Gronk, Edelman, these guys deserve statues because their are loyal to this franchise making the money they make, when their market value is much more than that.

I'm not saying the Pats should go and make a splash every free agency, but it's legit to question their decisions when it comes to spending money just like it is for the draft. It was not hard to presume that 30 year old Adrian Clayborn would not help a lot. How much is he making, 7 Million?

Last edited:
The Rams are paying Aaron Donald QB money that was already planned on their books and they were still able to sign Suh, Cooks, Talib, Peters and who else...don't forget that Goff is a #1 overall so he doesn't make "Rookie QB money". Other teams are paying their QB and other players either.

So the Pats are against the cap because they have a preference for spreading out the money on the roster on depth, what depth exactly? Brady, Gronk, Edelman, these guys deserve statues because their are loyal to this franchise making the money they make, when their market value is much more than that.

I'm not saying the Pats should go and make a splash every free agency, but it's legit to question their decisions when it comes to spending money just like it is for the draft. It was not hard to presume that 30 year old Adrian Clayborn would not help a lot. How much is he making, 7 Million?

Way too much money tied up to Hightower, McCourty and Allen. I think a cap hit of 30 million right there. High and McCourty both over the hill, and Allen just not good enough

The problem with comparing the Patriots with the rest of the league is that there is 31 examples to try and show that the Pats are doing it wrong. There's always a team that spends a bunch of money and looks loaded. The difference is that the team changes every year. The 2015 Broncos loaded up and won a Super Bowl. They were 5-11 last season. The Seahawks seemed to be on the cusp of a dynasty. Then they paid everyone, the drafting fell off and they haven't been anywhere near the same team.

For the Rams, it isn't about how they can afford it now. But eventually the bill will come due, and they won't have the money for depth pieces. Eventually injuries or a drop in player performance will lead to losses. (Much like it has for us, but it took us 17 years to get to this point) As it is, the Rams D looks a bit like the 2017 Texans in that they're 1 or 2 injuries away from being bad.

Again, there's always a new example of a team "doing it better" than the Pats. But not one of those teams is winning 12 games year after year like we have.

As it is, we're 20 months removed from our 5th Super Bowl title and yet our 1-2 start has half the fan base enraged. So no, I don't buy that everyone would be perfectly ok with losing records going forward if only we'd go all in for one more title. People were saying that 2 titles ago.

don't forget that Goff is a #1 overall so he doesn't make "Rookie QB money". Other teams are paying their QB and other players either.
You do understand there’s a cap on the total you can pay your rookies? And that the #1 pick isn’t exempt from it?

Goff’s contract is 4 years with a total value of $28mil for an AAV of $7mil.

That’s wicked cheap for a starting QB.

You do understand there’s a cap on the total you can pay your rookies? And that the #1 pick isn’t exempt from it?

Goff’s contract is 4 years with a total value of $28mil for an AAV of $7mil.

That’s wicked cheap for a starting QB.

It sure is.
It's still 7 Million though, the kind of money BB let players like Amendola or Lewis go. Not going into the merit of those decisions for now.

I'm aware of these data you brought, I was saying that his cap hit still counts on top off all that and it's not like he is making 2 Million.
7 Million is a figure with relevant cap implications all around the league.

When I was watching that game last night all I could think was how much I absolutely HATE how this once-great pro game has devolved into basketball in cleats with defense all but outlawed. It's now a matter of simply letting receivers catch the ball and hands off the quarterback. Receivers for both teams were wide open all night. And 500 yards passing combined from both teams before halftime? That's just crap. This isn't the game I grew up with and have loved all my life. As I've stated earlier, if this becomes the norm I will no longer be a fan.
I hear ya Tune, but a small, irrational, fanatical part of me loves it when the Pats are the ones catching balls all over everybody else. I'm just pouting that we aren't looking like this, this year, at least not so far. Spoiled brat, I know...

When I was watching that game last night all I could think was how much I absolutely HATE how this once-great pro game has devolved into basketball in cleats with defense all but outlawed. It's now a matter of simply letting receivers catch the ball and hands off the quarterback. Receivers for both teams were wide open all night. And 500 yards passing combined from both teams before halftime? That's just crap. This isn't the game I grew up with and have loved all my life. As I've stated earlier, if this becomes the norm I will no longer be a fan.

???

This has been the norm for some time.

I wonder how much of it is due to being a Thursday night game?

Not enough time to properly game plan, and defenses not fully recovered from playing Sunday = wide open receivers.

It was a very good game and the Rams looks like could be serious contenders

Great to see the stadium quite full also if i think Min fans were also a lot

And i love Lar throwback uniforms too as others mentioned

And the stadium has always my appreciation...i was there on 2011...

Cooks is, and has always been, much more than a "complimentary piece".

Ok, so even if you think he's a #1 WR (I don't), is he the type of #1 WR that you want to throw $80 million at?

Not me... I'd rather spend that kind of money on a Michael Thomas type, or a Josh Gordon type (without the drug history..just talking physical talent and the style of WR), a Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans

Other talents are better too, but i wouldn't pay them because of the potential headaches, like OBJ and Antonio Brown

Heck I'd even pay Keenan Allen over Cooks

Cooks is a good WR, and he would be helping this offense no doubt about it, but he's not worth $80 million over 5 years and that is the core issue... You can only give so many of those types of contracts out, you have to be very careful who you give them to

You realistically get maybe 5 big contracts on your team, counting the QB.. Rams right now have a top QB on a rookie deal

Rams Big Contracts:
1. Ndamukong Suh (8% of cap)
2. LaMarcus Joyner (6.2% of cap)
3. Michael Brockers (6.1% of cap)
4. Aqib Talib (6.1% of cap - On IR)
4. Mark Barron (5.2% of cap)
5. Andrew Whitworth (5.1% of cap)
6. Aaron Donald (4.9% of cap - he was extended, only $9 mill cap hit in 2018, but skyrockets to $17.1 million in 2019)
7. Rodger Saffold (4.3% of cap)
8. Jared Goff (4.2% of cap - still on rookie deal.. will easily get around $25 million/yr when he's extended)
9. Todd Gurley (4% of cap - he still had 2 years left on his rookie deal and they intelligently extended him early, so they still have him at a reasonable cap hit for 2018 ($7.2 mil) and 2019 ($9.2 mil), but then his cap jumps up to $17.25 million in 2020)

They still have the following players under rookie contracts;

- Cooper Kupp - He's an amazing slot receiver and only counts $879k against the cap
- Jared Goff - He's on year 3 of his 5 year deal (with the 5th year option). He will likely be extended next offseason, or maybe even during the season this year
- Marcus Peters - they have him for peanuts right now, less than 1% of the cap.. but he has a $9.1 million dollar option in 2019 and then he becomes a free agent

Basically the only thing holding this all together is just how the Seahawks had their little run because of cheap rookie deals and a QB on a rookie deal.. Within the next 1-2 years, Goff, Gurley and Donald will count over 10% against the cap each

They know this is not sustainable, especially if now they start to win and don't get top 10 draft picks every year. They're just going for it all to generate hype for a yuppy fanbase that has a history of not supporting its local NFL teams. They need to make a big impression to steal a large portion of the LA market share and to help fund their new insanely expensive stadium

Oh, and I posted it awhile ago, but there has also been an interesting history of teams winning Super Bowls shortly after they build a new stadium... but that could be worth its own thread entirely

TL;DR
Brandin Cooks isn't worth $80 million. Rams will implode in 2 years.

I got most of my information above from www.spotrac.com

Last edited:
Rams are going to be tough. Wouldn’t surprise me if they go 16-0.

Haha I guess beating Arizona, Seattle and a 1-2 Minnesota team that flew half way around the country gets you hype

Way too much money tied up to Hightower, McCourty and Allen. I think a cap hit of 30 million right there. High and McCourty both over the hill, and Allen just not good enough
The combined cap hit is probably closer to $25M, but the point remains: all 3 of them are way, Way over-paid. I hope I don't see Any of them on the team by this time next year.

Just so I'm clear,

You guys are mad that he

1.) tried to get through a defender and failed

and

2.) tried to get past a defender in another way and failed, being knocked out of the game in the process.

Is that correct? Your pissed that he didn't try to go through someone, AND that he tried to go through someone and failed. And because of that he "Wilted" under pressure, and you're happier now with Patterson.

It sounds like to me, like you two have no idea what talent looks like, and once again are blaming the offense for the superbowl, when it was pretty clearly the defense that was the issue.

Please stop. You never see a ball carrier run around in circles at any level of football, let alone the damn NFL. It was so inept; it was like the Wide Receiver equivalent of seeing a pre-season rookie punt returner run right, then, left, then back right again....only to lose yards and get drilled. Only a moron of fan would spin such an inept play as merely "tried to get past a defender." He ran around like a chicken with its head cut-off.

Rams are going to be tough. Wouldn’t surprise me if they go 16-0.

You folks can laugh all you want. I’m not saying the Rams are going 16-0, I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if they do. They have a great team and their schedule is winnable. :rolleyes:

If by wilted you mean an eagles player took him out of the game with a targeted shot to his head while he wasn't looking, then yeah, he totally wilted.

He got taken out because he is just not comfortable with the ball in his hands when in traffic. It was his own fault to get into the position to be taken out. The way he turned around while being run down by defenders was no less bizarre than his decision to jump into a defender instead of stretching out for a first down a few plays before.

Ha. I’m not even sure how much this actually applies, but it kind of sounded like it made sense in my head when I typed it.

I can hear the start screen/beginning of the game in my head with that robotic voice—“Blades...Of...Steel,” and then some type of noise like it may have been ice scraping or sticks smashing. Good times. :D

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back