PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three HOF Careers for Brady

Brick27

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Bored on a Saturday and just looking at stats and numbers. For years now it’s looked like breaking Brady’s career in half would include two HOF caliber resumes on their own. Heard the idea of three mentioned somewhere, so thought I’d break it down based on his 21 seasons. Clearly there’s a very strong case.

2000-2006
2x SB MVP
3x SB Champ
1x 2nd Team All-Pro
3x Pro Bowl
1x NFL Passing TD leader
1x NFL Passing Yards Leader

2007-2013
2x NFL MVP
2x NFL Offensive POTY
1x NFL Comeback POTY
2x 1st Team All-Pro
6x Pro Bowl
2x NFL Passing TD Leader
2x NFL Passer Rating Leader
1x NFL Completion % Leader
1x AP Male Athlete OTY

2014-2020
4x SB Champ
3x SB MVP
1x NFL MVP
1x 1st Team All-Pro
1x 2nd Team All-Pro
5x Pro Bowl
1x NFL Passing TD Leader

For comparison, here’s Kurt Warner’s HOF resume for the entirety of his career, with his peak in ‘99-‘01 of course carrying the weight:

1x SB Champ
1x SB MVP
2x NFL MVP
2x 1st Team All-Pro
4x Pro Bowl
2x NFL Passing TD Leader
3x NFL Completion % Leader
2x NFL Passer Rating Leader
1x NFL Passsing Yards Leader

I feel like you'd need to shift 2007 to the 2001-2006 to make the first one more iron clad. His individual achievements are damned good during the time frame, but not sure if they're HOF worthy. You could move 2007 there and still have 2009-2013 be a HOF career...probably.

I feel like you'd need to shift 2007 to the 2001-2006 to make the first one more iron clad. His individual achievements are damned good during the time frame, but not sure if they're HOF worthy. You could move 2007 there and still have 2009-2013 be a HOF career...probably.
He won 3 Super Bowls during that stretch dude

He won 3 Super Bowls during that stretch dude

Very true. If he had decided to retire in 2006, it would have been an interesting debate at the time. At the time, Peyton was considered, by far, the superior passer, but Brady was a winner. Again, at the time, the team got almost as much credit as he did. It's definitely not like an Eli situation, but he hadn't yet had that blowout statistical year, and I remember people holding that against him.

He was in my HOF. Had he walked away in 2006, he probably still makes the Hall, but I feel like there would have been a debate. Any debate was squashed forever after 2007.

Very true. If he had decided to retire in 2006, it would have been an interesting debate at the time. At the time, Peyton was considered, by far, the superior passer, but Brady was a winner. Again, at the time, the team got almost as much credit as he did. It's definitely not like an Eli situation, but he hadn't yet had that blowout statistical year, and I remember people holding that against him.

He was in my HOF. Had he walked away in 2006, he probably still makes the Hall, but I feel like there would have been a debate. Any debate was squashed forever after 2007.
Troy Aikman is in the hall of fame. I do not think Peyton was a superior passer, I think Peyton had far better weapons around him. Brady has always got the most out of what was around him and was always consistent. in 2001 to 2006 it was the not the passing utopia that it is today. Brady did lead the league in td's in 2002. 3 superbowls is hall of fame. No QB has 3 superbowls and is not in the hall of fame

Brady 2001-2006 is a first ballot HOFer.

I don't know that 2007-2013 Brady is a HOF er. 0-2 in Super Bowls, his 2007 records are broken in 2013 by Peyton, his totals are nothing special.

Mid career Brady looks too much like Ken Anderson tbh, or Warner without a ring.

Split his career in half and each half is a slam dunk first ballot HOFer though.

I don't know that 2007-2013 Brady is a HOF er. 0-2 in Super Bowls, his 2007 records are broken in 2013 by Peyton, his totals are nothing special.

Mid career Brady looks too much like Ken Anderson tbh, or Warner without a ring.

Split his career in half and each half is a slam dunk first ballot HOFer though.
Well, Anderson's pretty close actually. Really, most MVPs get in, but there's about a dozen who didn't (Pats' current QB will be another).

But a two-time MVP? They're all in. Not to mention the only 16-0 season that will ever be.

Think you're just a bit jaded by how amazing Brady has been. He'd absolutely get in for 2007-2013.

I think the real problem is how many players are in the HOF having only played 6 years?

Well, Anderson's pretty close actually. Really, most MVPs get in, but there's about a dozen who didn't (Pats' current QB will be another).

But a two-time MVP? They're all in. Not to mention the only 16-0 season that will ever be.

Think you're just a bit jaded by how amazing Brady has been. He'd absolutely get in for 2007-2013.

I think the real problem is how many players are in the HOF having only played 6 years?

Yeah, he'd have a crazy short career for a HOFer and 0 rings. It would just put him in a weird place.

Like a short career with 3 rings is a lock for a QB, no matter how you slice it. But 0 rings with a couple top individual seasons but no volume records is just sketchy.

Yeah, he'd have a crazy short career for a HOFer and 0 rings. It would just put him in a weird place.

Like a short career with 3 rings is a lock for a QB, no matter how you slice it. But 0 rings with a couple top individual seasons but no volume records is just sketchy.
The best comparable to 2007-2013 Brady is probably Terrell Davis.

Davis had 2 SB wins, including a SB MVP, 3 1st team All pros, a 2000 yard rushing season, and was a beast in the 2 SB runs. Yet he didnt get in until his 11th year of eligibility.

I think its more probable than not that a 2007-2013 Brady doesn't make the HOF.

Troy Aikman is in the hall of fame. I do not think Peyton was a superior passer, I think Peyton had far better weapons around him. Brady has always got the most out of what was around him and was always consistent. in 2001 to 2006 it was the not the passing utopia that it is today. Brady did lead the league in td's in 2002. 3 superbowls is hall of fame. No QB has 3 superbowls and is not in the hall of fame

Few people here would say Peyton was a superior passer. But at the time, that was the widely held view. Probably, a sizeable portion of football fans might still say the same today, even though there is no proof of it.

I don't know why people think I said he wouldn't be in the Hall. I just said there would be more debate than when one considers his 2007 season. Didn't think that was controversial.

If not for Stephen Neil getting hurt they win the 07 SB and if not for Bernard Pollard they win the 08 and 11 (rolling up on Gronk) SBs. 09 was the equivalent of the 19 and 20 rosters where they bottomed out and had to start over and they still won 10 games and Brady still played well after missing a year.

I'd divide it in two.

2001-2010 - first ballot HOF
2011-2020 - first ballot HOF

Less than 10 years for a HOF career especially as a first ballot? Hard to say. I think Kelly had a 10 year career for the HOF but I don't think anyone's HOF QB career is shorter than that. Brady has obviously more rings than JK...

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back