PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

threats to Pats in AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats-Phan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I haven't followed the offseason very closely so I might be missing some things but it seems like a weak year in the AFC. We seem like the best team on paper by a healthy margin. Here are superbowl odds from the first link google gave me:

Pats 7-1
Steelers 10-1
Broncos 17-1
Chiefs 20-1
Bengals 20-1
Colts 35-1
Raiders 30-1
Ravens 40-1

Steelers are still loaded at the skill positions and have a HC / QB combo who has gotten it done before. IS there D any better?

Bronco's did it last year with no QB. Can they do it again? They seem a little low on the list. Did they lose anyone important from last year?

Chiefs seem high.

Bengals and Colts can't get it done in the playoffs until they prove otherwise.

Why are the raiders so high?

Why are the Ravens so low?

Do you agree that the Pats are the favorites to win the AFC and who are the biggest threats?

If I were a betting man, I'd look at the odds for the Jets (60-1 Super Bowl, 30-1 AFC).

The defensive line is very strong, they have two good running backs and a big-play receiver. Above all, they have a serious, level-headed coach, for a change. If they get on a roll (and if JG doesn't get the job done in the first 4 weeks) they could be difficult to stop.

I'm NOT saying that they are favourites -- just under-priced. (Oh, and, of course, once, now and always ... Jets Suck!)

Lol, threats to the Pats?o_O

8tv626q.gif

Youd be crazy to rule out the Ravens if they get back on track. If they get to the playoffs they are always a threat. They are so experienced on the road home field is pretty much negated.

they have two good running backs

Forte and ??

If they get on a roll (and if JG doesn't get the job done in the first 4 weeks) they could be difficult to stop.

I'd say their start to the season is tougher than the Pats first 4 games with Garoppolo

Bengals
@Bills on 3 days rest (Ya I know but Rex beat them twice last year)
@Chiefs
Seahawks
@Steelers
@Cardinals

I see the Steelers and Ravens as the Pats biggest threats in the AFC. I think Houston and Oakland both surprise a lot of people this year but they won't be enough to compete with the Pats.

Injuries. They are threat #1. After that, only NFC teams would worry me. Pitt, by default, would be my AFC pick.

I'd say their start to the season is tougher than the Pats first 4 games with Garoppolo

Bengals
@Bills on 3 days rest (Ya I know but Rex beat them twice last year)
@Chiefs
Seahawks
@Steelers
@Cardinals

Yes, that's tough. But none look un-winnable.

I don't agree with this feeling at all. One serious question:

Do you really think that o-line is good? I think people are REALLY overestimating the talent there and the fact that Scar is bacl.

Solder was injured last year and in the pre-season (albeit it wasn't that serious). He is our better lineman, when on the field

Thuney: a rookie, he is still an unknown quantity. We do know that rookies are going to make mistakes. He could become great, but i dont think it will happen this year.

Andrews: He battled against Stork last season and lost... It's cool to cheer for him, be he isn't great. Plus, he is 6' feet tall and now, OCs have a good number of tape on him. I think he could potentially become a problem.

On the right side, who do we have? A consumate bust who people are putting way too much hope (Cooper), Youngsters whp have yet to prove they are starting quality material (Mason, Karras ? ), bunch of mediocre to bad players (Fleming, Kline, Jackson...) and i didnt even start on the right line: Cannon worked with Scar before and was still a bad player. Plus Waddle.

The o-line was a huge problem last yeat and we didnt upgrade that out preseason gave ne no hopes either, or do tou guys think we were awesome in that department so far? And i dont even want to start with our running backs. I cant believe Blount is our only strong back.

As long we have Brady and BB we have a chance, that is true, but some people gotta start being less blind: just because they are in blue and silver, they are not automatically good players. I think we will have some pains this year, specially in the beginning

I don't agree with this feeling at all. One serious question:

Do you really think that o-line is good? I think people are REALLY overestimating the talent there and the fact that Scar is bacl.

Solder was injured last year and in the pre-season (albeit it wasn't that serious). He is our better lineman, when on the field

Thuney: a rookie, he is still an unknown quantity. We do know that rookies are going to make mistakes. He could become great, but i dont think it will happen this year.

Andrews: He battled against Stork last season and lost... It's cool to cheer for him, be he isn't great. Plus, he is 6' feet tall and now, OCs have a good number of tape on him. I think he could potentially become a problem.

On the right side, who do we have? A consumate bust who people are putting way too much hope (Cooper), Youngsters whp have yet to prove they are starting quality material (Mason, Karras ? ), bunch of mediocre to bad players (Fleming, Kline, Jackson...) and i didnt even start on the right line: Cannon worked with Scar before and was still a bad player. Plus Waddle.

The o-line was a huge problem last yeat and we didnt upgrade that out preseason gave ne no hopes either, or do tou guys think we were awesome in that department so far? And i dont even want to start with our running backs. I cant believe Blount is our only strong back.

As long we have Brady and BB we have a chance, that is true, but some people gotta start being less blind: just because they are in blue and silver, they are not automatically good players. I think we will have some pains this year, specially in the beginning
I think your last sentence is your best, and most measured one. I agree. The rest sort of reads like one of those pros/cons pieces where you had to take the negative side.

Cannon has not always been a "bad player" and I think he'll perform solidly at OT, not moving around, and having Scar around. You dismiss Thuney, which seems wrong, etc. etc

If healthy, they'll steamroll any AFC team. Jets and Bills will put up good efforts in one of their regular season meetings, but outside of that, I'm not worried about any team.

Andrews: He battled against Stork last season and lost

Anyone that watched last year saw that Andrews was the better player, but for whatever reason Stork got his spot back when he came back from the IR and in the end the decision to stay with Stork instead of Andrews played a factor in them losing the AFCC. If they play Andrews in that game maybe they still lose but he wouldn't have been tipping the snap like Stork.

Also that was 2015, it's 2016 and Andrews is the starting Center and Stork was cut.

Cannon worked with Scar before and was still a bad player

This is not true. Cannon was solid when with Scar. It's these last 2 years that soured people on him. In fact when Vollmer went out in 2013 and he replaced him he actually played well.

Last edited:
I thought the Steelers would be in Foxboro for the AFCCG last year - and tthat was a late fumble against Denver from happening.

Still think the Steelers are the class of the AFC other than New England. Denver will take a huge step back. Don't know what to think of Baltimore.

The Jets, Chiefs, Raiders, Texans all look to be decent.

Still, barring catastrophic injuries or a wild upset in the playoffs, I think it's Pittsburgh at NE for the AFCCG.

Yes, that's tough. But none look un-winnable.

If the Jets are 3-3 after the first six, they should be popping champagne in New York.

They will be underdogs at home to the Bengals and the Seahawks (who are still thought of as one of hte premier teams in the league).

They will be huge underdogs in Pittsburgh, and I think Brown owns them in that game.

They will be huge underdogs in Arizona.

They will be underdogs in Kansas City, one of the toughest places to play.

They also don't get the Jimmy G break, as Brady is back for both meetings. Could be a tough year for the Jets. Key for them is Brandon Marshall - can he play like he did last yer (out of his mind)?

Revis is regressing. Their secondary beyond him isn't that good. Cromarte is gone.

Meh.

The steelers. I am still concerned with this secondary. Not enough size and i wonder how much man coverage they will play. Teams with size at wr will give this team problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes