PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Sony Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd say his vision has shown steady improvement over the season. He definitely was having issues in the first couple of games, but showed mostly outstanding vision against the Jets. he may have had a couple plays that were duds, but he definitely had some really great ones too.

Name a single back that could run well without quality OL play? There isn't and never has been one. Not Sanders, Not Sweetness not even the ig bad Brown. That is an oxymoron.

Sander's OL was trash, the guy was a phenom running back who turned negative runs into large gains on a regular basis.

I love him but he lacked a passing game not an o-line. Detroit's O-line wasn't Dallas level in the 90's but I would argue that was the greatest O-line in NFL history over a 4 year span. But Detroits line was good. Especially when you consider for the majority of his career his o-line faced 8-9 in the box.

Sander's OL was trash, the guy was a phenom running back who turned negative runs into large gains on a regular basis.

Yes he did. But 6 vs 8 or 9 is a losing battle every time. That is not the o-lines fault.

That was a big misnomer. Now I would use the argument back then when folks would try to say Emmit was better than Barry ah not even close. Put Sanders in that offense behind that line with Aikmen and Irvin and the results would be unimaginable. But that doesn't mean Detroit's line was trash.

I'd say his vision has shown steady improvement over the season. He definitely was having issues in the first couple of games, but showed mostly outstanding vision against the Jets. he may have had a couple plays that were duds, but he definitely had some really great ones too.
Agree it has improved but lets qualify what "vision" means. To me, vision means having anticipation which is derived from experience, knowing the plays, blocking schemes and defensive film study. That in turn gives the player confidence to be creative and become more instinctual and decisive as a runner.

There was a segment in the Curtis Martin- A Football Life in which early in his rookie year he was struggling. Tuna made the decision to give him more freedom choosing his holes and the rest was history.

We might be seeing that kind of evolution from Sony (not becoming CMart) but playing with more confidence because hes getting the reps and more confident.

I love him but he lacked a passing game not an o-line. Detroit's O-line wasn't Dallas level in the 90's but I would argue that was the greatest O-line in NFL history over a 4 year span. But Detroits line was good. Especially when you consider for the majority of his career his o-line faced 8-9 in the box.

You are wildly overrating that offensive line. That line was nothing even approaching good for most of Sanders' career.

True dat in College he had cut back ability we would like to see some of that on the Pro level.
Agree he is not running like he did at U of G but I think that'll come.

When it comes to RBs and OL play, I've always wished that I could have seen Sanders and/or Earl Campbell running behind that Cowboys OL. That would have been the stuff of legends.

Sony Michel is a great running back. His only drawback is his penchant for injury. Did he warrant a first round pick? No, no running back warrants a first round pick in today's NFL where superstar running backs are found after the first round every year.

But, Belichick HAD to draft a running back in the first round - I'm convinced of this - because he knows Brady's skills and Gronwkowski's skills are detriorating - and he had to get a "can't miss" back in the first round. Belichick needed someone who could combine with White, Burkhead, and Hill (granted the latter 2 are injured) to give the Pats an offense predicated on running moreso than in previous years.

Belichick knew they had to be able to run the ball into the end zone...

Brady has been beyond dreadful in the red zone this season, especially the last 4 games...Tom Brady, the guy with the answers to the test, is...

6-19 for 48 yards and NO TOUCHDOWNS in the last four games in the red zone...that is a quarterback rating of 40.89...that's FOURTY POINT EIGHT NINE! SAD!

tenor.gif

Michel is having the best start of any RB the Pats have drafted. He has rapidly become a key cog in this offense, which struggles in the passing game without him. Big win for this pick.

To follow up on @KontradictioN's point, look at the top yards from scrimmage in a rookie season, and you'll see that it's heavily weighted toward high draft picks.

Player Season Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Michel is a good player. I suspect that if he hadn't been injured to start the year, then we would all be celebrating the pick. If he stays healthy, he's the best RB1 Brady has had since Dillon's 2004 season. Maybe he's not Barkley, but he's a good player who clearly improves this offense.

To follow up on @KontradictioN's point, look at the top yards from scrimmage in a rookie season, and you'll see that it's heavily weighted toward high draft picks.

Player Season Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Michel is a good player. I suspect that if he hadn't been injured to start the year, then we would all be celebrating the pick. If he stays healthy, he's the best RB1 Brady has had since Dillon's 2004 season. Maybe he's not Barkley, but he's a good player who clearly improves this offense.

Sony Michel – 15.9 attempts per game, 73.3 yards per game, 4.6 YPA

Saquon Barkley – 15.5 attempts per game, 75.4 yards per game, 4.8 YPA

Sony Michel – 15.9 attempts per game, 73.3 yards per game, 4.6 YPA

Saquon Barkley – 15.5 attempts per game, 75.4 yards per game, 4.8 YPA

Sure, but before we get too carried away:

Michel has 10 targets in the passing game, catching 6 for 43 yards:

10 6 43 7.2 0 13 0.8 5.4 60.0%

Barkley has 87 targets in the passing game, catching 71 for 581 yards and 4 TDs:

87 71 581 8.2 4 57 6.5 52.8 81.6%

I don't think he's 100%. Doesn't look as explosive as he did in college. Great vision like everyone has mentioned. Will be an even bigger threat once he is 100%.

Still should have kept Blount.

You are wildly overrating that offensive line. That line was nothing even approaching good for most of Sanders' career.

I would disagree and if you go back and watch a lot of his big runs he is juking a blitzing DB or making moves outside the tackles. But also notice how loaded the box is. I am not saying they were the best line in football but they were average to above average throughout his career.

James Conner, who by all accounts was mediocre before 2018

Not by me. There's no way that I expected the breakout he's had this season, especially as a receiver. But I thought he looked very promising in very limited usage.

I don't think he's 100%. Doesn't look as explosive as he did in college. Great vision like everyone has mentioned. Will be an even bigger threat once he is 100%.

Still should have kept Blount.

Should have drafted Conner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft